January 2016 Moms

Fever - what would you do?

Hi there!  So, LO had her 2 month checkup today and was going to get all of her vaccines, but when they took her temperature it was 100.4, which is technically the cut off point for it being a fever.  They thought she may have just gotten warm in her car seat or something, so they took it again at the end of the appointment and it was down to 100.2.  Since it was still relatively high, the doctor decided to just wait and do the vaccines next Wednesday, since he didn't want her to possibly spike a fever on top of having a warm temperature already, since she's so little.  He did a full exam, said she looked great and didn't seem ill, just told us to keep an eye on her and check her temperature at home.  A couple hours ago we took her temperature rectally, twice, and it was only 97.5 each time, which makes me think the thermometer isn't working right.  :/  So, now, of course, I'm all worried, wondering what her temperature actually is.  She has no other signs of illness, her poop seems normal and she's eating and sleeping well (since we starting swaddling her arms in.)  My question is, would you take her in to the doctor's tomorrow am (they have walk in hours) to get another official, accurate temperature read?  Or would you just keep taking it at home and not worry until we see signs of any illness?  

Sorry, FTM here and I have fairly bad postpartum anxiety, so I am spiraling out big time right now.

Re: Fever - what would you do?

• I wouldn't worry. It sounds like she is fine and a doctor examined her, so you're doubly good. If she has no other symptoms of illness there's nothing for a Dr to do. Sorry it was a stressful day for you! Try not to worry too much. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Definitely don't worry too much. I'm obsessed with my little guy's temperature because I tend to run a little colder than most people and he always feels warm to me. He actually just runs slightly warmer than the average human like his dad. As long as Your LO is feeling good and acting normally I wouldn't worry. For the next appointment maybe dress her a little lighter in her car seat. I generally don't put LO in anything more than a long sleeved onesie, pants, and socks or he starts sweating :)
  • Loading the player...
  • It's possible the doctor's thermometer was off.  What I would do in this situation is 1-take comfort that the doctor saw her and thought she looked great and 2-I would go buy a new thermometer.  I've noticed if mine isn't inserted far enough the reading is low.  I then purchases this one which is specifically designed so you don't insert too far https://m.target.com/p/vicks-baby-rectal-thermometer-blue-and-white/-/A-12729442?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&amp;AFID=google_pla_df&amp;CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&amp;adgroup=SC_Baby&amp;LID=700000001170770pgs&amp;network=g&amp;device=m&amp;location=9002574&amp;gclid=CNLN1Jzs_ssCFcYehgod1SMN-Q&amp;gclsrc=aw.ds I really like it.  I would hesitate on going back to the doctor where there are just a ton of germs.  For what it's worth, my baby's temp was artificially high when I went to dr (they did a forehead scan and she had just been in a car seat with a hat on for 30 mins. 
  • My baby had a temp of 100.5 the other morning so I called in and they had me brining him in. It was about 3 hours later and his temp was 99.0. I said oh wow my thermometer must have been off. His pediatrician response was, "no he had a fever of 100.5 this morning and now it's gone. This is normal in babies and there temp changes frequently." It brought me some reassurance and I was glad his fever was gone when we went in. So I wouldn't worry if it fluctuates. 
  • Thanks guys, I think I was freaking out over nothing and I think our thermometer does actually work.  We've taken her temperature several times and it's been between 97.5 and 99.0 every time now.  We'll be back at the doctor's next Wednesday to get all of her shots, and obviously will go back if she shows any signs of illness or has another high temperature, but I think (deep, calming breath) everything is fine and I should relax!  :)  Thanks for the reassurance.