August 2016 Moms
Options

Liam?

William is a name that's been in my for years. However they all go by Bill. I've always wanted to use Liam as a play on the family name but now it seems to be getting really popular. What do you all think? Is anyone else considering the name Liam or another popular name?

Re: Liam?

• Options
    Liam has become pretty popular throughout the past couple years, but I adore the name!  I originally thought of Liam for a boys name as well however I ended up having a baby girl and my hubby wasn't too fond of it.  But I still like it, and think you should go for it if it's a name that you really like (whether its popular or not)! :)
  • Options
    I love the name Liam. It's a bit more popular now, but it's a name that's been around a long, long time so I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you're going trendy (or naming him lyam or something)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I LOVE the name Liam. If this baby was a boy, it would be a Liam. Who care if it's popular? He'll be the only Liam in your house!
  • Options
    Liam is great. My nephew is a William that goes by Liam, named after my dad who goes by Bill. So cute, but also matures well.
  • Options
    I also always liked the name William with Liam as a nickname--I hate that it is so popular! But I'd probably consider doing it anyway--it's such a sweet name. And if there are too many Liams, with the full name of William he can always pick another nickname. If you just named him Liam, he'd be stuck.

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    I like the idea of William with the nn Liam.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    WyliesWylies member
    edited March 2016
    My cousin named her son Liam and I looove it. Im having a similar issue with the name Charlotte (Charlie) I've loved the name since highschool but it is SO popular (like top 5 popular) now, which bums me out a little. (Are there going to be 5 other Charlies in her class? Etc)
    But....I say go for it anyway. It's a family name and its lovely! You still have time to consider other ideas but definitely don't settle for a name you don't absolutely adore. At the end of the day it doesn't matter who else has his name. :smile: 
  • Options
    I'm biased because we named DS William, so needless to say I love the name Liam. I think it's a nice change if you want to try something a little different from the family name. People right away were like, "so, are you going to call him Billy? Bill?". We always say no, that he goes by Will or William. So far it has stuck, we call him Will usually. Then you have my grandfather who likes to call him Guillermo, which is Spanish for William. Gotta love grandpas. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love William nn Liam! I've only met one Liam and he's a teenager, so it's not hugely popular in my area. Even if it is, it's a total crapshoot whether he'll be the only Liam in his class or one of 4. I wouldn't worry too much about it! 
    Married 6/20/2015
    Mirena removed 7/6/2015
    TTC#1 July 2015
    BFP 12/4/2015
    Sam born 8/4/2016

• Options

My husband was pulling for Liam, but I have a bit of twang in my voice from growing up in Texas, and I didn't like the way it sounded when I said it. "Lay-ham" *shudder*

I do like the name in theory, just not when I say it. :)

• Options
    Liam does seem popular, but would be a good nickname. There is also Wilhelm and Willem ;)
  • Options
    I love the name Liam, it's one of my favourites. I find it odd as a nickname to William though, it a completely separate name, pronounced differently in a different language so that doesn't work for me. As an Irish person it's a very strange thing to see people do (seems a mostly American phenomenon). But I'd go for Liam, great name. 
  • Options
    I LOVE the name William with nn Liam. We considered it (William is a family name for us too), but I ultimately decided I couldn't go with something so popular (I'm an Amanda, so I know what it's like to always have to be Amanda Lastname so I wasn't confused with one of the 8 other Amandas in my grade).

However, I will point out, regarding name popularity, that parents are so conscious of originality these days, that even if you pick a top 5 name for your child, the name won't have the same saturation now as a top 5 name would have in our generation. Does that make sense? For example, Noah was the most popular name in 2014 with 0.9% of total males with that name. Compare that to 1980 and the top name, Michael, represented 3.7% of total males.

Ultimately, if you love the name, I would go for it. As another poster pointed out, it's a classic name. It's not like you're picking a super trendy name that screams 2016 or coming up with some wacky youneek spelling.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    I agree with @bananers. My daughters name is Kayla and it was a top 10 I think the year she was born.  She is in school now and she has only met one other Kayla and she was 8-9 years older than my daughter. That was 3-4 years ago. 

I love the name Liam and would have it in our list if this one was a boy.  
  • Options
    I love it and I think it really depends on region how popular a name is.  Or how many kids may be named William for similar family reasons but go by their middle name or something.