Baby Names

Settling on a Name?

We're pregnant with #2, and while we still have plenty of time to pick names (team green), we are really struggling like nothing else on a girl's name. I know a lot of it is my fault and I'm being super picky, but I've only found about 3 girl names I love, and DH hates them all. Of course, I don't like any of his suggestions. 

We've found a few names that we could agree on but neither of us is crazy about. It's making me nervous that we're going to end up settling for a name that is ok but neither of us absolutely loves. Has that happened with anyone else? If so, did you grow to love the name you picked? 

With our DD name we both were madly in love with it and still love it for her. I'm scared we won't have that same feeling this go-around.

Re: Settling on a Name?

• With our second boy we weren't as in love with the name as we were with DS1 but we both liked it and once we added a face to the name we loved it. Now I can't imagine him as any othe back up names we had. With one we just really both loved the name we picked an it was a top name for both of us. I think naming another especially of the same sex has that feeling. At least IMO I have heard many people say they feel the same

• My advice is, once you agree on a name (even if you're not over the moon with it), start incorporating it into conversation as much as possible between the two of you. My husband and I were set on a name for the longest time, but I recently had a change of heart, thinking of a totally different name that just felt right to me. My husband wasn't as in love with the new name as I was (but he did like it!), but calling the baby her new name and constantly referring to objects around the house as hers by name have helped him come around, and he's totally on board! 
  • Loading the player...
  • edited April 2016
    With DD#1 we were Team Green and went into the hospital with almost 20 names. There was only one name I loved. But looking at her, she looked nothing like her name and didn't feel right. We went with the name that did feel right, and don't regret it. Now we are expecting #2, and although we wanted to be Team Green again, the tech made the mistake of showing between the legs and we are both positive it's another girl. That didn't make picking a name any easier. Although we were able to bring the list down much quicker than with DD#1, to three names (which happened even before we had our anatomy scan), we like all three of them the same. We don't love one over the other. We have taken the three names and mixed and matched for FN/MN combos, we have narrowed those down to four combos with the three names, and yet still....we like them all about the same. We are doing a RCS and have 14.5 weeks left, but I feel so much more pressure with this kid's name, than when naming DD#1. I think it is going to take us actually laying eyes on the baby, to see what she looks like and what name best fits. 
  • I'm very scared about this myself. With our son my bf picked an excellent name right away. This time I'm realizing his style is SO different from mine. I know he will "side" with me, but I want him to love it too.