Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Terrible twos early?

I don't really know a ton about this stage but my son is suddenly getting more and more difficult every day. He gets mad if I say his name or try to feed him, anything ticks him off! I cant even play with him because he wants to play alone. He also will act hungry and I will make him food but he won't eat it. He runs the other way and throws a fit. I'm worried because he's only getting fluids now and not much proper nutrition. This has been for about 5 days now. Hes not sick that i know of, no symptoms that i can point out. But the attitude has been progressing over the last couple weeks. Is this the dreaded terrible twos already? He's 18 months.

Re: Terrible twos early?

• Unfortunately this is totally normal. I remember when my first kid was around that age and I was shocked that he was already acting out when I thought it didn't start until 2.

I have a 4 year old and a 17 month old and the "terrible two's" are a joke. It starts well before 2 and I hate to say it but 3 is soooo much worse.

Stay calm, don't feed into the behavior and don't stress the eating. Toddlers need a lot less food than we think and really, all you can do is offer healthy meals when you think he's hungry and hope for the best. If he messes around instead of eating then the meal is over. Try to look at what he eats over an entire week instead of each day.

It's a tough age but hang in there!

• terrible twos, although I hate that term, begin at 12 months. its the second year. Its normal, but hard! I'm in the same boat a lot of days.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am going through a similar situation. My LO is almost 18 mo now and she's already throwing tantrums. Not only that she's testing me, if I tell her no, she gives me the smallest smirk and goes towards what I am trying to keep her from like her father's desk. And lastly while were out she occasionally screams. Though the latter sometimes is my fault and in my new mom noobness I forget that you can't keep them in a highchair before they key antsy. Right we ignore her tantrums, but even though she's older I still feel like im learning here, I've never had to deal with this before so sometimes I feel at a lost.
  • Cass005 said:
    I am going through a similar situation. My LO is almost 18 mo now and she's already throwing tantrums. Not only that she's testing me, if I tell her no, she gives me the smallest smirk and goes towards what I am trying to keep her from like her father's desk. And lastly while were out she occasionally screams. Though the latter sometimes is my fault and in my new mom noobness I forget that you can't keep them in a highchair before they key antsy. Right we ignore her tantrums, but even though she's older I still feel like im learning here, I've never had to deal with this before so sometimes I feel at a lost.

I laughed when I read "while we're out she occasionally screams". My 20 month old screams ALL the time! LOL So very normal, unfortunately.

Parents expect the "terrible two's" but very few first time parents realize that this behavior starts BEFORE 2!

I have a 4 year old and a 20 month old so we don't go out to dinner much. Errands are stressful and exhausting. I never know when a melt down will happen with either child. It straight up sucks sometimes but that's how kids are, especially kids under 2. They don't know how to control themselves or their emotions and often times you cannot do anything about their tantrums. I've had to leave stores, or walk out of a restaurant so my toddler can calm down. It's tough, but again, normal.

Don't let it get to you because it's not going to stop anytime soon! You just have to get through it.

• I've found that it's more like the terrible 18mos-3yrs.

And then you have the Threenager stage...  4 is cool though. ;)

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16