May 2016 Moms
Options

Crib Mattress- does it need to be new?

TinaThoTinaTho member
edited April 2016 in May 2016 Moms
So we had been holding off on buying a crib mattress when my
sister announced that
they were moving my nephew up to a full mattress in the next month or so. It's a high-ish end organic mattress ($290 when purchased) and was gently used by my sister's 2 boys within 3 years.  I didn't hesitate in saying yes to taking it since all of the baby expenses are sure to pile up. My sister and her husband are neat freaks, I know it is as clean as a used mattress could be. Healthy kids and I know they always had a cover of sorts on it.

We mentioned this to my MIL in passing and she interjected that we absolutely need a new mattress (and she offered that they would be happy to buy it). Is there any reason to go along with this thinking of needing a new mattress? For further information, even though it is a generous offer my husband and I wouldn't take her up on it. We'd just go ahead and buy the one we had registered for. But if there isn't a medical concern or some other reason to avoid a gently used mattress then I'd rather save the funds for some other unexpected baby expense.  

Just looking for some honest opinions on this since I've spent way too much time thinking it over.

Re: Crib Mattress- does it need to be new?

• Options
    I'd use the sisters mattress. If you think about it you should get around 10 years uwe out of an adult mattress. Because you are confident it was well looked after then I say why not. 
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    There are some camps out there that say don't reuse mattresses because of increased SIDs risk, off-gassing, less firmness etc.... I'm of the opinion that if you trust the source/cleanliness, it's still firm, and as a bonus if it's organic (supposedly less off-gassing), it's probably okay.  I'll be reusing the mattress that we used for DD for the last 2 years.  It's still in great shape, so I see no logical reason not to.  But I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I take the common sense approach over "best practice" recommendations though when it comes to baby gear, so who knows.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Use your sisters. It would be no different than your sister using it for another child! If you trust where it came from then I totally say go for it. It's obviously a good one too because it was expensive to start with. Save money where you can is my theory here! 
  • Options
    We're using a used mattress that we bought from one of my hubby's co-workers. It was only used a few times because it was kept at her MILs house for their trips out there so I see no issue. Since you know the source I would say use it and save the money! 
  • Options
    I agree with above posters - as long as it is still firm and in great shape, go for it.  You will find a way to spend that money :)  Is it waterproof?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    I just bought a used mattress for DD's toddler bed. I see nothing wrong with it if you know and trust the family it's coming from, which you obviously do. I personally would feel the most comfortable taking a used mattress if it had had a waterproof liner on it for its entire use. Babies and kids pee, poop, puke, drool, and snot everywhere, including in bed. Unprotected kid beds get GROSS, and you can't deep clean them well enough to truly sanitize it. There are some studies out there that suggest those bodily fluids settle into the mattress and grow a fungus that contributes to SIDS. 
  • Options
    My sister offered her crib mattress with our DD as well, and we took it! And the mattress was used by both of her kids, the oldest being 11 now! It was still in it's wrapping and since we would have a mattress cover and sheet, I didn't even bat an eye to it! Her crib is converted to a toddler bed now, so she still uses it today. No issues.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We are also using a used crib mattress that a friend of mine gave to us along with her daughter's crib. It was used for 3 years, but I see no reason to spend money on a new one when this used one was well taken care of.
  • Options
    In this case I would use it. You know it's not that old and that it was kept clean. 
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm using the same crib mattress that I bought for DD1 back in 2010 and the used for DD2. It's been in storage about 1/2 the time and I just make sure I wipe down the waterproof outer layer of the matres really well between kids. I use a waterproof matress pad on top to keep the matress clean as well (it makes cleanup from blowouts easy) 

If you know it's been taken care of, go for it and save the money. 
  • Options
    Save where you can! Take your sister's mattress. 
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all of the responses. I feel so much better about this.