November 2015 Moms

Convertible Car Seats?

Is anyone else looking into convertible car seats yet?  My little girl's feet are starting to hang over the edge of her current infant car seat and I wondered if anyone had found a seat they loved.  Bridget is still about 15lbs, but I'm researching now. 
If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

Re: Convertible Car Seats?

• We are getting Grayson a convertible carseat soon. I hate carrying the infant carrier, so as soon when it gets a bit warmer we are switching. We are getting britax  (I think it is called click tight or click right). I looks very easy to install, and has a few extra safety features. It has gotten great reviews on amazon and buybuybaby.
  • We installed our Graco 4ever about 3 weeks ago and I love it. Little one was just so uncomfortable in his infant carrier plus he is 17lbs and that was just way too have for me. It was such an easy install and my little guy loves it so much. It has great reviews and it one of the recommended seats from CPSTs. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a graco 4 ever in my car. I love it but when he outgrows the infant car seat that he uses still in my husbands car I want to get him a clek fllo. You can rear face up to 50 pounds! 
  • We have the chicco nextfit zip. I like it a lot and lo is way more comfortable now. It rear faces to 40lbs, was easy to install plus the cover zips off for easier cleaning. It is however fairly giant compared to the infant seat.
  • We have the britax marathon. It's still in the box from before DD was born, but I'm looking forward to installing it when the weather is nice. 
  • We've been eyeing up the britax marathon. Think we may make the switch sometime over the summer. 
  • We have a chicco next fit for DS.  I would highly recommend it for tall kids, it allows them to rear face longer than other seats we looked at.  DS is 2.5 and 90% for height, he has already passed the maximum height for rear facing in our other 2 convertable car seats (Evenflow and Britax, but I forgot the models) and he can still rear face in the chicco with some room left to grow before he had to forward face.
    It is also super easy to adjust the straps and headrest.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • MargaretC5MargaretC5 member
    edited April 2016
    Feet hanging off the end of the car seat is not an indicator of out growing the seat.   For height, a seat can be used rear facing until the top of there head is 1 inch from the top of the seat.  For weight restrictions refer to the limits in the owners manual for your seat.
    That being said an infant seat is just as safe as a rear facing convertable, just wanted to point out you did not have to get a new seat right away if the feet are hanging off.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm thinking once the weather is nicer, we're just going to leave LO's infant carrier in the car and bring him to it. It has a weight capacity of 30 lbs and he's only a little over half that so we still have a while (but I can barely carry it already hence leaving it in the car). 

We we have the Graco nautilus when he fully outgrows his carrier. 
  • Feet hanging off the end of the car seat is not an indicator of out growing the seat.   For height, a seat can be used rear facing until the top of there head is 1 inch from the top of the seat.  For weight restrictions refer to the limits in the owners manual for your seat.
    That being said an infant seat is just as safe as a rear facing convertable, just wanted to point out you did not have to get a new seat right away if the feet are hanging off.
    Good point.  Thank you for reminding me of that.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• I was always told to keep a child rear facing until at least 2 years old, has anyone else done this or have opinions about it? I have not started my own research yet but I will shortly. 
  • We switched our little guy to a Diono Radian RXT about 3 weeks ago at around 4 months. He HATED his infant car seat. No more tears in the car :-) IT can be a pain when he falls asleep in it and we have to take him out. Also- I have to be sure to have a 2nd set of hands or one of my carriers if we are out running errands. 
    Love the Diono/Recaro brand. Narrowest seats, steel frame, 10yr expiration, fold up easily for travel & according to my 5yo the seats are comfy. 
  • I was always told to keep a child rear facing until at least 2 years old, has anyone else done this or have opinions about it? I have not started my own research yet but I will shortly. 
    My sister switched her daughter at a year I think because she would scream bloody murder the whole time when rear facing and the minute they switched to front facing she stopped. She's almost 3now. 
    My sister switched her daughter at a year I think because she would scream bloody murder the whole time when rear facing and the minute they switched to front facing she stopped. She's almost 3now. 
    We will probably face Zeke forward at a year for the same reason. I've seen the research about rear facing as long as possible but I think for us that as long as possible will only be a year because he does not ride backwards well. I'm fairly certain he gets car sick and I believe being able to see will help (for example he used to scream bloody murder when we would put him facing us in the stroller but when we face him out, he'll ride for however long we walk for). If I could keep him rear facing longer, I would, but since the majority of our car rides are 30-60 minutes, it's not really an option to have him scream the whole time every time (I've nearly driven off the road because I'm distracted by his screaming). I really hope forward facing will be the answer. Or at least reduce the screams. 
  • Those of you thinking of switching to forward facing at a year I would check your state laws first. If I'm not mistaken I think some states require waiting until two years. My little one freaks out as well if she's in the backseat alone and I'm thinking facing forward might help. I got a shatterproof car mirror so she could look at her reflection, but it needs to hang on a headrest and there isn't one on the middle seat. I've been trying to think of a safe way to McGyver it, but haven't come up with anything yet.
  • Those of you thinking of switching to forward facing at a year I would check your state laws first. If I'm not mistaken I think some states require waiting until two years. My little one freaks out as well if she's in the backseat alone and I'm thinking facing forward might help. I got a shatterproof car mirror so she could look at her reflection, but it needs to hang on a headrest and there isn't one on the middle seat. I've been trying to think of a safe way to McGyver it, but haven't come up with anything yet.
    I think most states are a certain height/weight OR two, whichever the child reaches soonest.  I know that's how it is in GA for getting out of a booster seat.  The child must be 8yrs old or 4'9" before they're able to sit without any seat.  Every child is different.  My step daughter is very tall and so was legally able to be out of a car seat at 7.  My DD1 would probably be stuck in a car seat until she could drive herself places if we went solely by height. 

• FL is 2 years old.
  • rachswi said:
    I'm thinking once the weather is nicer, we're just going to leave LO's infant carrier in the car and bring him to it. It has a weight capacity of 30 lbs and he's only a little over half that so we still have a while (but I can barely carry it already hence leaving it in the car). 

We had the graco nautilus for DS before our state changed the law to 2yrs rear facing. The nautilus is not rear facing (unless they changed it since then). Not sure what the laws are in your state. 
  • rachswi said:
    I'm thinking once the weather is nicer, we're just going to leave LO's infant carrier in the car and bring him to it. It has a weight capacity of 30 lbs and he's only a little over half that so we still have a while (but I can barely carry it already hence leaving it in the car). 

We had the graco nautilus for DS before our state changed the law to 2yrs rear facing. The nautilus is not rear facing (unless they changed it since then). Not sure what the laws are in your state. 
    It's not rear facing but Illinois only requires they be rear facing until 1 year or 20 lbs. I plan to keep him rear facing till he's too big for the infant carrier (he'll hit 20 lbs before a year but I don't feel comfortable turning him before a year even with the screams). They say it's best to keep them rear facing as long as possible but the requirement is only 1 year
  • rachswi said:
    rachswi said:

It's not rear facing but Illinois only requires they be rear facing until 1 year or 20 lbs. I plan to keep him rear facing till he's too big for the infant carrier (he'll hit 20 lbs before a year but I don't feel comfortable turning him before a year even with the screams). They say it's best to keep them rear facing as long as possible but the requirement is only 1 year
    Then the seat would be perfect for you! We loved it!!
  • We rarely carry her around in her infant seat now since it's so heavy so I've been looking at convertibles too. I really like the graco 4ever 4in1, it's got great safety ratings, good reviews, and it'll be the last car seat I have buy!! I'm just waiting to see if BRU has a sale soon.
  • We have a chicco next fit for DS.  I would highly recommend it for tall kids, it allows them to rear face longer than other seats we looked at.  DS is 2.5 and 90% for height, he has already passed the maximum height for rear facing in our other 2 convertable car seats (Evenflow and Britax, but I forgot the models) and he can still rear face in the chicco with some room left to grow before he had to forward face.
    It is also super easy to adjust the straps and headrest.
    Thank you bunches for this info!  LO is in the 80s percent for height, and if that keeps up (and considering her father is 6'5, her aunt and grandpa are over 6', and her 18mo cousin is the size of a large 3yo, its likely), I'll probably have a tall kid on my hands.  We already use the chicco keyfit, so I was probably going to stick with the brand anyway, but good to know they're good for tall kids, too!

Looks like my state has no rear/forward facing regulations, just car seat till 4, booster till 8 or reaching the height/weight limits.  But in the interest of laziness, I think I'll stick with the infant seat until she hits the limits.  Gotta leave it in the car, though, hauling it around made me sprain my back.