February 2016 Moms
Options

What time to pump for night bottle?

We just gave LO her first bottle - 5 wks old- and thankfully it went well. I would like to pump enough for DH to take on a few hours of night watch; is anyone else doing this? If so, when do you pump so as to avoid supply problems? 

Re: What time to pump for night bottle?

• Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    If he's feeding her a bottle, pump at that time. 
  • Options
    4N6s said:
    If he's feeding her a bottle, pump at that time. 
    Ditto this. Especially this early on, you should pump at the same time LO is taking the bottle.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I typically pump both sides while she's taking the bottle if I can, but at least the side she's skipping because she's taking the bottle. 

If you're looking for when to pump to fill the bottle for the evening, I like to pump during her morning nap because I can get a lot and that's typically her longest nap so I can get a bit full. I also will pump the side she didn't take after a feeding. I'm trying to get a bit of a stockpile going for when I go back to work and this seems to work for me
  • Options
    I pump after every feeding because I'm trying to keep up my supply for LO to use while I'm at work.  DH gives LO the midnight bottle (which I pump after the 8pm feeding).  I do not wake up and pump during that time since the point of him giving the bottle is so I can sleep.  I then do the 4am feeding and go to work and DH sleeps till 6.  I've been pumping religiously since about 3 weeks and we started this schedule right before I went back to work at 6 weeks.  During the day, I pump at around the same time LO is getting a bottle from my mom.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Feb16 October Siggy Challenge- Favorite Halloween Candy

Image result for reese's peanut butter cup pumpkin
  • Options
    My dh does the middle of the night feeding so I can sleep. I find I build up enough over the night that there is plenty to do a feeding then pump once she wakes up around 7. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, all. I have a LO who feeds almost constantly and rarely sleeps more than 2 hours so it's hard to squeeze in pumping as well. I'll keep at it! 
  • Options
    Thanks, all. I have a LO who feeds almost constantly and rarely sleeps more than 2 hours so it's hard to squeeze in pumping as well. I'll keep at it! 
    If LO is nursing every 2hrs and you're just having H take one night feed, you'd probably be ok to skip pumping, since that would essentially just put you at a 4hr stretch, which probably wouldn't hurt your supply. Try to really tank LO up at night and hopefully you can start getting longer stretches! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker