May 2016 Moms
Options

Screen Time

edited March 2016 in May 2016 Moms
This may be premature in thinking about and asking but it's something I've been giving some thought to and I'd like to hear other people's opinions. I know there is a lot of research out there on too much/little TV is for babies. I have also done a search on the bump for previous discussions on screen time and what I've found is it really depends on the parents and what they think or what needs to get done (put TV on to do some housework or cook or just have quiet time). Some limit screen time, others don't necessarily limit it, per say, but may screen what is being watched, and still others don't really have any rules.

I've been thinking about this because I have friends/family who have children and they all different theories on screen time. Someone I know has the TV on most of the day and the dad is a stay at home dad so their 9 month old daughter is exposed to whatever is on all the time. The couple shared how her favorite shows are The Simpsons and the Andy Griffith Show. Another couple limits TV time but also has their 9 month old daughter watching their iphone throughout the day. This couple has also put a TV in her playroom. Another couple doesn't really limit TV  but screens what their children (5 year old and 3 year old) watch and they also watch and play video games. My Dad also told me how he took some time off when we were babies to be home with us and he would watch soaps during the day, since that is all that was on.

DH and I decided we will only have the one family TV in the living room and no other TVs in the house. DH is a gamer and I told him I'm really not comfortable having DD watching the video games he plays, at any age, as some are really violent. I'm fine if he plays while she's napping, with me, or he is having some guy time with his buddies. He completely agrees with me. I'm not anti-TV but I also don't want it on in the background just to have it on. Or, even as a newborn and as DD grows up, to have it on while she is having playtime or "quality time" with us and have that distract her/us from really playing, talking, and interacting with her and using her imagination. I feel like as children grow up, they gradually get more and more glued to screens (phones, computers, TVs), sometimes out of necessity (computers and laptops for school) and sometimes not (texting, internet surfing, gaming, watching cartoons/TV/movies) and I don't want to start that at an earlier age.

Has anyone else thought or talked about this with their spouses/significant others and what are your thoughts? I realize everyone will be different and I'm not asking this question to judge anyone. I'm just curious as to what other people think and what they plan to do.

Edited to fix grammar

Re: Screen Time

• Options
    Meh. 

DS is 22 months old.  We limit TV time as much we can.  Some days the TV isn't turned on at all.  Other days, I have to let him watch a few episodes of Paw Patrol or we will all lose our shit (especially being pregnant, it seems).  It's never for hours and hours at a time but it happens.  We occasionally have family movie night too, but we are interacting while watching.

As far as phones and ipads go, he has always been much more interested because everyone just always seems to have their phone around.  He knows how to go to different apps on our devices and play music for himself.  So, we have to limit those (and hide our phones).  But I do let him play around with it now and then if I'm really struggling.

I think it is about balance.  I would be much more concerned if he wasn't hitting his milestones, but he's doing great so...

image        image

• Options
    kp90kp90 member

For me right now with no kids and just this LO on the way.. I am one who always has the TV while I'm home, if I'm cooking/cleaning I like it for background noise. This will probably not change when LO is born but I will not have her in direct contact with the TV nor will the volume even be up loud. With that being said when LO is older I plan to limit her time with TV or games/iphones, etc. I want her to be more occupied with books, toys, etc. As she grows up we will determine how much TV time we allow. I just know I don't want her obsessed with TV and anything with a bright screen!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    As a STM, I can tell you from my experience that the TV is a necessary evil sometimes. I was so against any screens until 2 years old, but by 3 months, I was turning on PBS while we snuggled in bed in the morning and watching shows on my tablet while rocking him to sleep. At 2.5, my son is obsessed with Curious George and has seen every episode, has more Thomas the Tank Engine DVDs than I can count, has been to the movie theater 3 times, and knows how to operate a Nabi tablet (it is made for kids) to watch his favorite Elmo potty video. Oh, and yesterday he sat in my BIL's lap with an unconnected controller while his uncle played video games for about 1/2 hour. It was actually super cute because my son thought he was actually controlling the character!

It is something that I have become flexible on, but have a few non-negotiable rules. First, no TV or screens an hour before bed. Second, only one DVD or 2 episodes of any show a day. Third, no TV during the daylight unless it is a special circumstance (like we are home sick etc). This one I made up as the weather started to get nicer and I wanted us to get outside more instead of just flipping on the TV. It does not apply to using the Nabi to watch his Elmo potty video. In fact, the Nabi has a permanent home in the bathroom and that is really all we use it for now anyways. And no video games at our house. MH needs to wait until my son is asleep and I think we will hold off as long as we can before my son gets to play himself. 

Even these "set-in-stone" rules will change as our children grow and technology becomes more prevalent. I think it is most important to make sure that you and your SO are on the same page and have a reason behind your restrictions and allowances so it isn't random or arbitrary.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think every family is different and different things work for different people. For us (DD is 8.5 years old), I'd have a tv on in the background most days, on a kids show. DD wouldn't be glued to the tv though. I know some parents who limited tv and their kids begged for it. Same goes for the iPad/ tablets now at DD's age. The parents that put restrictions on it, their kids want it more. My daughter has to use the tablet for her school math program as part of homework. Other than that, she really only uses it on road trips. She isn't into watching TV much. She prefers to play outside which I obviously love. Can't say if it's because I didn't put limitations on electronics or just her personality but that's my experience. I have friends who's kids need the iPad or phone during dinner, basically all day long. That wouldn't fly in my house. We sit down for dinner as a family with no TV on. 
  • Options
    lest12 said:
    Meh. 

DS is 22 months old.  We limit TV time as much we can.  Some days the TV isn't turned on at all.  Other days, I have to let him watch a few episodes of Paw Patrol or we will all lose our shit (especially being pregnant, it seems).  It's never for hours and hours at a time but it happens.  We occasionally have family movie night too, but we are interacting while watching.

As far as phones and ipads go, he has always been much more interested because everyone just always seems to have their phone around.  He knows how to go to different apps on our devices and play music for himself.  So, we have to limit those (and hide our phones).  But I do let him play around with it now and then if I'm really struggling.

I think it is about balance.  I would be much more concerned if he wasn't hitting his milestones, but he's doing great so...
    I second this.  TBH, DD didn't care about TV at all until she was around 15 months, at which point I'd let her watch Baby Signing Time videos every once in a while.  She's over 2 now and we've introduced more shows, but iPhone apps/games are mostly off-limits.

Moderation is a great tool in all aspects of life, including this one.  

And one last thought, I do think it makes sense to try to avoid exposing babies to more mature content from the beginning, even if they are too young to understand it.
  • Options
    yogahhyogahh member
    edited March 2016
    Do what works best for you and your family. I'm a ftm and against allowing kids to use phones or iPads for entertainment. As for the tv I'm that person that has it on all the time even if I'm not watching. I don't like silence. So not sure how we will deal with that, but I don't want my kids to be couch potatoes. Every family is different. And with all the different theories on what screen time does or doesn't do for kids, I don't think you can even rely on these "studies". 

Edited to to add I haven't read the studies on this. I just know that one day something is released saying screen time is good and educational and the best it's the devil. It's like coffee- one day it's good for us and the next day it causes cancer. 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    We have the TV on almost all the time just for background noise and for an occasional check in for me. DD rarely, if ever, pays attention to it throughout the day except for maybe if we intentionally want to watch an animated movie together for an activity with popcorn as a treat. I don't let her play on the iPad or iPhone ever because I just find it annoying to see kids get so into the devices or if they are used at the dinner table or at a restaurant (huge pet peeve for me). 

I am, however, against gaming for kids of any age. I've seen kids who rush home and that's ALL they want to do. After school, on the weekends, etc.   Of course that is up to how the parents want to limit but I don't want it in our house ever really.  I strongly believe that kids NEED to exert physical energy to be better behaved and above all else, healthier.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm a nanny at the moment for a baby and he doesn't watch tv at all. When he was smaller I would have the tv on a lot but just turn him away from it, but now I just leave the tv off while he's awake since he's mobile. I'm thinking I'll do the same thing with my baby, with maybe a little more flexibility depending on how they act. For the baby I nanny, if the tv is on his eyes are glued to it so just leaving it on isn't an option. As for iPads and iPhones, for my baby that will all be off limits except for road trips or other instances where I really need them to behave for my sanity! We are flying from Texas to California 8 weeks after my due date so my goal is for that to be the baby's first tv watching experience so he's super intrigued. We will see though!
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    Do what works best for you and your family. I'm a ftm and against allowing kids to use phones or iPads for entertainment. As for the tv I'm that person that has it on all the time even if I'm not watching. I don't like silence. So not sure how we will deal with that, but I don't want my kids to be couch potatoes. Every family is different. And with all the different theories on what screen time does or doesn't do for kids, I don't think you can even rely on these "studies". 

Edited to to add I haven't read the studies on this. I just know that one day something is released saying screen time is good and educational and the best it's the devil. It's like coffee- one day it's good for us and the next day it causes cancer. 
    I'm kind of like this too, and just plan on switching to music/radio/audible books instead.
  • Options
    We limited tv, iPads/phones until 18ish months when we took a long flight. I was very anti until having a very mobile and naughty toddler. We use it only to keep him occupied and out of trouble while I'm doing things that are essential, or to teach lessons. Like @kbrands7 mentioned, some of the hygiene things are really easily taught through a show like Daniel Tiger versus just talking to my toddler about it. In small doses it's good and definitely a necessary evil sometimes once they're more mobile. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the thoughts! They're really giving me something to think about. @laurenmdrn16 , I like your non-negotiables!

For us, DH can easily get sucked into gaming for screen time and for me, it's Netflix. I don't want DD to be a couch potato. And I know DH and I will need to talk about how we want to approach this so we don't find ourselves sitting around. I am the more active one and push to get both of us out but I want us to be on the same page right from the start. I agree that it will be about balance and there will be days we'll do TV and some days we won't. Also, I like how @lest12  pointed out, so long as they are hitting their milestones, it isn't something to be overly concerned about.
  • Options
    For DH and I this is really hard. We both work as programmers so that being said, technology is a HUGE part of our lives. While most of this is for work related things, I think it will be hard for a young child to differentiate between when it's work or play for us on the computer or phones. We've both agreed that at least for a little while we would like to limit screen time with our LO though - we would really rather her be playing with toys, reading, being outside, etc. 

We do recognize though that technology is becoming more and more prevalent in life, so as time goes on we want to introduce it, but keep a healthy balance so that hopefully she can recognize that while it's sometimes good and fun you can't always be attached to the tv, computer, phone, tablet, etc and that moderation is key. :)
  • Options
    I think you notice things with your kids, too.  I have some friends who can leave the TV on all day and their kids pay no attention. 

DS will watch certain things but others, he has no interest in. 

I did not like, however, when he started throwing a tantrum (ah, the terrible two's starting early :) ) because I did not let him play with my phone, or the time he wouldn't pay attention to me if there was something on TV, so good bye phone, TV was turned off for pretty much the week. 

You sometimes have to adjust as you go, you know?

image        image

• Options
    lest12 said:
    I think you notice things with your kids, too.  I have some friends who can leave the TV on all day and their kids pay no attention. 

DS will watch certain things but others, he has no interest in. 

I did not like, however, when he started throwing a tantrum (ah, the terrible two's starting early :) ) because I did not let him play with my phone, or the time he wouldn't pay attention to me if there was something on TV, so good bye phone, TV was turned off for pretty much the week. 

You sometimes have to adjust as you go, you know?
    Exactly! As soon as DS starts asking to watch things we take a little break from technology.  Moderation is key. 
  • Options
    mmemartinezmmemartinez member
    edited March 2016
    I read an article once that talked about how it's important how the screens are used and what is being shown. So clearly only age appropriate things and then it is better if you are watching or snuggling with them rather than leaving the kid alone in front of a screen. Common sense stuff.

In an ideal world he would never watch anything but life doesn't work like that. Grandma used Disney movies a couple times when he was a baby to distract him if we dropped him off but apart from that we didn't have screens out until about 15 months. It was for a long road trip. And honestly he wasn't that interested - it was something we tried. However past 18 months he would use the iPad for some apps that would have letters or numbers or books. And he would watch some shows on PBS. Now he is four and we sometimes watch more than we should as I am exhausted and it still isn't that nice out regularly. Honestly I feel like because of the programs he watches he actually has learned a lot. Same thing with the apps I let him have. They reinforce things he learns at daycare or teach him real facts. 
  • Options
    We try to keep TV/iPad time balanced with activity time (reading, free play, art/craft, and game time).  It's a lot easier to entertain the kids now that they are older (DS is 4 and DD is 2 but mature for her age IMO).  They are on a schedule so they know when they are allowed to watch a show or play their iPads.  I definitely limit screen time (especially for DS since he's an addict!) but I let them play ABC Mouse or something educational often.  They love it and both of them have benefitted from it.  Now that the weather is getting nice, we will be headed to the park daily and swimming in our pool so they can use their down-time when we are home to watch a few programs or whatever.  With the new baby, I have a feeling that I will become more lenient but it's only temporary so I won't feel guilty (I hope!).  I think it's great in moderation just like everything else.  
  • Options
    I'm not sure how we'll handle this either, because of the fact that we have the TV on a lot because both of us don't like silence- though I'll admit my hubby is a bit addicted. Video games, we'll have. We don't want her playing with our phones or iPads, and she certainly won't be playing video games for a while  mostly because she won't be able to- but video games do help teach kids problem solving (in my opinion)- so I'm not against it. Granted, the video game aspect is partially because both my hubby and I are gamers. 
  • Options
    So many good points here!  My 2yr olds don't watch the tv, even when the terrible morning sickness hit and I wanted them to chill out.  they are always looking to play with iphones, but I don't use one, mostly for this reason!   It will be interesting to see if this LO likes the tv.

I really liked the idea that one of our OT therapists gave us: when she and her hubby get home from work, they spend about 6pm to 8pm without any technology - and just spend time with their daughter.  then, they can go online, on their phones, watch tv.  This doesn't work for our family because DH gets home at 8pm, and the twins are asleep.  DH does veg on his computer a lot on the weekends, and I'm always nagging him to turn it off and be present with the girls.  The distracted parenting generation freaks me out. Kids need eye contact with their parents!!

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    We limited almost all screen time until DD was 2. We made this decision due to the scientific research that shows that the way babies brains process the lights and movement from tvs can have negative effects on brain development prior to age 2. 

DD is almost 3 now and we do let her watch some tv in moderation. She's only allowed to watch certain shows and only when we say it's okay. We have never let her play games or watch anything on our phones or iPads. She would watch Mickey Mouse clubhouse on tv all day long if we let her, but we obviously don't. She is pretty well behaved and can go in public without a device in her hand. If we are at a restaurant she will happily color. If we are at the doctor's office she will read books. If we are at a store we will talk the whole time. We've been on a 10 hour road trip and she did perfectly fine without technology. 

Obviously do what's best for your family, but don't feel like you have to resort to technology to get your child to behave. They can learn to be occupied by other things. I've also let DD watch more tv when I'm having particularly rough days and not feeling well, because she'll sit down with me rather than be upset because she thinks I don't want to play with her. It is helpful in situations like that! 
    I love this! Personally I hate the excuse that I hear when a parent just mindlessly hands over a device to keep their kid occupied. What have parents done all this time without an iPad to distract the kids? I grew up with books and toys to entertain me, and I think I'm pretty well adjusted. 

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    js8812 said:
    My H and I were just talking about this yesterday.  We never have the TV on as white noise and we maybe watch 5 hours/week on average.  We both don't like video games and down own any gaming systems.  We are hoping to minimize screen time, but understand moderation is OK.

I wanted to add a big part of our conversation is how important it is to lead by example.  So many adults are guilty of mindlessly "checking" their phones and spending so much unnecessary time on their devices.  Kids will pick up on that and it's important to practice what you preach.  We are going to be very conscientious about limiting OUR screen time with our kiddos... not just theirs.
    I couldn't agree more and I am certain that it will be much more difficult for my H and I to let go of our devices/TV time than it will be to set limits and boundaries for LO. 
  • Options
    I'm a FTM so of course all of the below is my non practiced theory. My baby could end up falling in love with the tv.
    Technically, the research tends to indicate a correlation with exposure to television before age 7 (I believe 4 hours plus, but I could be wrong) and ADHD. That includes tv shoes that are educational like Seseme Street or shows that encourage interaction like Blues Clues. I'm a total tv junkie but DH and I have agreed that once baby can turn their head we will limit screen time. We're thinking right now none during the week and mostly family movies and educational shows on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. DH plays video games so that will be included in our screen time. I did download some educational/bible apps for LO when he's a little older. 
    I'm a teacher, and I can tell you it's pretty easy to tell the kids who just sit in front of screens all day and the kids who have parents interact with their kids or encourage them to go outside. 
    I Also wanted to say you should think about your screen time when baby isn't with you. We had a student in my class who said he wanted to rape another (female) student. Dad says he learned the word from forensic files- which dad watched after he thought his son was in bed. 
  • Options
    I'm a FTM so I know what I think now may easily change once LO is actually here. We're hoping to not have her in front of a screen until two. Like some others have said I hate silence and usually have the tv on for background noise. I'm planning on either switching to just have music on more often or I'll make sure LO isn't facing it. 

DH likes video games and is excited about showing LO Mario games when she's older. We've talked already about when that happens putting limits on the time so that way she isn't sitting there playing video games all day and can balance between playing outside and that. 

Im nervous though because since I was younger I've always needed the tv on to fall asleep due to hating silence and also not liking the dark. I'm hoping to figure out a plan because I don't want the tv on at night when LO is sleeping in our room in the beginning 
  • Options
    @NinnyJean I'm the same way! I can't sleep in silence! I download audiobooks of books I've read and loved and listen to them while falling asleep. Helps me quiet my mind without having a screen.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    We put on music in the background. Never TV.
    If we watch a TV program we are very intentional about it and watch it together, mainly cooking shows without commercials, then off it goes.  We didn't expose baby to any TV.  It wasn't until the toddler years we introduced some media, in small doses, watched together, no commercials.  We live on acreage so we are usually too busy outside to mess with TV.  My toddler's favorite thing is a dirt pile.  So simple at this age ;)

We do have an iPad but it only has a few learning apps and its primary use is for traveling in a plane (the whole reason we got it, we didn't have to have it in the first year but after that there were situations where it made a huge difference when in a plane travel situation).

Oh and this is coming from a couple who had a TV in the bedroom and watched it for hours every night for years (put it on sleep timer).  We had several TV's in the house.  After we had a baby, after the newborn cluster days the TV in our bedroom was gone and we now only have one TV in our home in the main living area. 
    That TV is mostly used for background music.  We let our toddler pick the Pandora stations (for instance bluegrass, blues, toddler stuff, native flutes, classical, seasonal, etc.) and listen to a wide variety of music that way. 

In regard to the newborn days the baby stayed in our room so I couldn't have the volume up too loud when I watched TV programs or it would bother the baby.  I tried headphones but they became annoying (where are they, are they charged, if I fell to sleep they were annoying, didn't want baby teething on them, etc.).  I quit watching TV at night because it did bother the baby (all the lights I guess) even when I dimmed the screen and had headphones or closed captions on.  After awhile it just became not worth it and sat collecting dust until we removed it from the room.  I don't have to fall to sleep with the TV in the background anymore as I did for years and years, although I would again happily, just not in this baby/toddler/young kids stage of life.
  • Options
    I've always had the TV on for noise. DD1 will MAYBE pay attention to it for 10 min and then move on to her toys, whatever I'm doing (usually baking/cooking), wanting to go outside, etc. I have a TV in my room, my moms room, and the living room. We will have movie time before bed and sometimes naps. Me/DH/my mom will watch with her during those times and it never goes through the whole movie.

As long as we aren't having family time, eating, trying to get ready to leave, going to bed soon, playing at the park, or riding in the car DD1 has access to the Kindle Fire as well as my phone. She watches Elsa/Ana videos, plays puzzles, sing song apps, Sesame Street apps, etc. Technology isn't going away. The private school we're looking to send DD to is half textbook and half IPad taught. I'd rather her be comfortable and learn now a basic understanding for how that kind of stuff works so she doesn't have a harder time once she starts school in a year and a half to 2 years. I don't let it rule her life and she doesn't seem to want to take that attitude either. I might be a little more strict or standoffish if she didn't show an interest in being physically active or in reading an actual book but we don't have that issue.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    My friend was over with her 3 month old and I had the TV on, and the baby just stared at the TV the entire time until I turned it off. My friend says she's basically been memorized by the TV whenever it's on from the second she was old enough to focus on things, which was not very old. I got sad that I wouldn't be able to watch any TV ever again until she reminded me that at least with her, the baby goes to bed at 7PM, so still plenty of opportunity to watch your favorite shows, just not have the TV on all the time.
  • Options
    We have no tv at home at all, we only use a laptop/ Netflix for news or entertainment. I guess we should start discussing this as well! I just imagine it will be hard to keep lo away from our phones... 

• Options
     It os definitely a personal decision, but if not made conscientiously, can lead to taking the easy way out and using the tv as a babysitter. (We have all seen this). Here is a really excellent report from All Tech Considered on NPR, that looks at both sides. https://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2013/10/29/228125739/what-to-know-about-babies-and-screen-time-kids-screens-electronics.   There has been a lot of research showing that not just screens, but toys that talk can hinder language development. I own a toy store in a beautiful little coastal downtown, and several times a week i will see a toddler on a stroller so glued to the ipad that they have never noticed the egrets flying by, the bubbles blowing outside my store, or even realized they are in a toy store where they can play. It absolutely breaks my heart. 
  • Options
    We are also in the no-screen camp like some PP. 

When I moved in with my now-husband, he didn't have a TV. I didn't like it at first, but now I'm used to it. We have a screen that we watch movies and Netflix on, but it takes a lot more effort to watch TV and it's never on just for background noise. We play music or it's just quiet. I must say, the no-TV thing practically *created* hours in the day for me. I never realized how much time I spent vegging out watching TV. Don't get me wrong, I still veg out, but I guess I lose less time mindlessly watching TV. 

All that being said, I do think we have an iPad problem. We are both news junkies and read waaaaayyyyy too much news on our iPads. WE keep talking about how we don't want our LO to see us with our noses in our screens, so we've made some rules (for now): No iPads in the bedroom and over meals. That has helped us some. I'm hoping to not look at my phone/iPad while nursing, etc. 

DH is really musical (he plays a bunch of instruments) so we often have music on in the house and my hope is that I can enjoy the music instead of the TV when nursing or playing with him, etc. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    MsIanMsIan member
    DH and I had this talk a couple of days ago. We've agreed to limiting screen time as much as possible until age 2. No TV while falling asleep, no video games (DH's issue) while LO is in the same room, and hopefully more music and reading. I caught the reading bug while on bedrest, so I do plan on reading on an e-reader while nursing, but other than that we're going to try to limit it. I'm thinking when LO is old enough to focus on tv and learn from it, we might do one hour a day of educational kids shows, but we'll see. It might be a learn as you go thing for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    SAHM here too, except the toddler doesn't nap most days.  LO's energy is of course non stop like all busy toddlers.  Thankfully, we live on acreage and spent a lot of time outside so LO can literally run off some of that pretty easily with just the opening of a door.  Well, I say "the opening of a door", as if it is that easy...

Lately preparing to go out there 9 months pregnant is like a pregnant person Olympics: make sure toddler is well fed beforehand (if snack contained carbs or sugar - brush toddler teeth), chase toddler to get on clothes that can get really dirty, help toddler put on said clothes, socks, boots, make sure toddler has used the potty, prepare water bottles for outside, locate and apply sunscreen, sunhat, and bug spray to toddler (who really doesn't like the sunscreen or spray, and sometimes the hat either).  Get dirt/sand toys out of garage and ready for LO, prepare a chair for myself that I can prop my legs but still have chase LO around so constant up and down...
  • Options

Lately preparing to go out there 9 months pregnant is like a pregnant person Olympics: make sure toddler is well fed beforehand (if snack contained carbs or sugar - brush toddler teeth), chase toddler to get on clothes that can get really dirty, help toddler put on said clothes, socks, boots, make sure toddler has used the potty, prepare water bottles for outside, locate and apply sunscreen, sunhat, and bug spray to toddler (who really doesn't like the sunscreen or spray, and sometimes the hat either).  Get dirt/sand toys out of garage and ready for LO, prepare a chair for myself that I can prop my legs but still have chase LO around so constant up and down...
    YES! Only replace the sunscreen/sunhat/bug spray with snow pants/mittens/winter hat. Freak snow storms in April are the best. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kami09 said:
    I must say, as a SAHM who has to fill 11 hrs a day (with one 30-60 min nap), I NEED to sit down with him once or twice to watch a show. He is so active and I get very exhausted...especially at this stage. We still go to gymboree and for a walk almost every day. We read and play...but dang...it's a LONG day!
    I love this...it's so true!  Kids need downtime just like adults especially when they stop napping.   I do my best to fill the day with structured activities, free play and sometimes outdoor play but sometimes I need to tune out for a half hour (with my iPad!) so I let the kids do it too.  I kind of want to warn FTM's to be realistic and try not to judge "screen time" before they are in that situation.  This is the world we will in now and although too much screen time is not good it's definitely not going anywhere in the near future.  
  • Options
    kami09 said:
    I must say, as a SAHM who has to fill 11 hrs a day (with one 30-60 min nap), I NEED to sit down with him once or twice to watch a show. He is so active and I get very exhausted...especially at this stage. We still go to gymboree and for a walk almost every day. We read and play...but dang...it's a LONG day!
    I love this...it's so true!  Kids need downtime just like adults especially when they stop napping.   I do my best to fill the day with structured activities, free play and sometimes outdoor play but sometimes I need to tune out for a half hour (with my iPad!) so I let the kids do it too.  I kind of want to warn FTM's to be realistic and try not to judge "screen time" before they are in that situation.  This is the world we will in now and although too much screen time is not good it's definitely not going anywhere in the near future.  
    100%. I was totally anti screen and lasted awhile, but honestly sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get through the hour, day etc.

Although we went to the dentist this morning and they just give out iPads to all the kids waiting (is this a thing now?). I was kind of proud that DS opted to color and play with toys when every other kid had an iPad, but I know that next visit he might prefer the iPad, and that's ok too. 
  • Options
    @gemini2005 I'm a FTM and agree with your post 100%! My brother and SIL were really anti-screen time before their first was born..guess what..they now have three little ones who love TVs and tablets. I'm not going to plop my kid in front of a screen all day, but I think I can safely say that she will probably watch some TV and play on the ipad. All in moderation.
  • Options
    I agree with all the STM's on here. As a FTM I can only say what I want to do. Things might change if I haven't eaten in 6 hours cuz I've had to hold LO cuz he's sick and I just think sitting around watching chopped would be best.
    ive taken to starting most conversations with "I can only say this with my FTM hat on, which means I'm probably wrong"