Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

D&C Scheduled for Tuesday morning - what do I need to know?

Confirmed yesterday that I miscarried last week.  Baby only grew to 6w2d although I should have been 9w yesterday.  For various reasons I scheduled a D&C for next Tuesday 4/5.  The doctor said she uses a suction tool.  If you have had one, what would you say I need to know ahead of time?  
Me: 1979 * Husband: 1976 * Little girl: 2010 * Little guy: 2013 * MMC: 2016 * Last baby: EDD 2/11/17!  

Re: D&C Scheduled for Tuesday morning - what do I need to know?

• Options
    Oh and she uses a camera to check to see if everything is out.
    Me: 1979 * Husband: 1976 * Little girl: 2010 * Little guy: 2013 * MMC: 2016 * Last baby: EDD 2/11/17!  
  • Options
    JDMRSJDMRS member
    That sounds like the D&E procedure my doctor used. I think the terms are somewhat interchangeable. I went under for the procedure. If you are being put under general anesthesia, drink as much fluid as possible between now and the cut off time (mine was midnight the night before) because I didn't and my veins collapsed. I was sore for a day or  so, but physically, I recovered quickly. Still spotting and passing some tissue 6 days out, and I was told to expect bleeding and some cramping for about 2 weeks. Good luck with your procedure and recovery. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was put under general anesthesia as well...when I woke up, I felt fine and was able to eat when I went home. I was feeling nauseous because of morning sickness so they gave me something for that and some sedation before the procedure to make me feel more comfortable. Then I went to the OR and woke up in recovery not remembering anything that happened. I was in some pain but not anything more than period cramps for a day or so. They gave me norco for that but didn't really take that much. Buy some pads for home because the pads they give you are really big and thick. You aren't allowed to use tampons for at least 2 weeks after the procedure. I bled for maybe 4 days (including the day of the surgery) and then spotted brown for another 2 1/2 weeks. I took cytotec the night before the surgery and afterwards (I was told it softens your cervix to help dilate and then afterwards helps your uterus contract back to normal). Overall the procedure was not bad at all in my opinion- good luck, speedy recovery. 
  • Options
    Ask for something for anxiety before surgery. I did and it helped me for the whole day. Also discuss with your OB the options for chromosome testing if that is something you are interested. We decided to test and specified ahead of time we did not want gender information in the results. Ended up Bering moot with a XXX issue but those are things you cas ask about before hand. Also good to ask about follow up time and restrictions to TTC if the appointment is longer than 2 weeks out. 

My d&c went very smooth, minimal cramps and very light spotting for 2 days. Honestly the day of surgery was probably my best day because all the medications numbed my emotions for the rest of the day. I went in bawling and woke up able to get a few hours reprieve. 
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss.  Drinking fluids is good, although I had IV fluids when I got to the hospital for my procedure.  Definitely have some pads on hand, maybe some overnight ones so you can lie in bed without worrying about it.  

Have you thought about whether you want to have the remains tested?  They may not necessarily offer it for a first loss, so I asked for it because I figured if there's any information to be learned from this, I wanted to know.  Just something to consider and make sure the OB knows that you want, if that's what you decide. 
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. Ask your doctor what to expect in terms of a normal recovery and bleeding. 

For me, the worst part of the procedure was getting the iv. I woke up feeling physically okay. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you're going through this. I second all of the recommendations regarding fluids and pads. I only bled heavily the first day with a few clots and some cramps that were only mildly worse than my normal period cramps. I was told just to take tylenol or ibuprofen as needed. I then bled lightly for a day and almost stopped for a day, then it picked up a tiny bit for 2 more days (which I was told to expect)- all in all, "bleeding" for about 5 days, then spotting for maybe a week after that.

The thing I wasn't at all prepared for was the side effects of the general anesthesia *possible TMI*. I hadn't really been paying much attention to my digestive system, but realized 4 days after the procedure that it had pretty much ground to a halt which resulted in some really intense stomach cramps/pains. I figured out what was going on fairly quickly and was able to eventually get some OTC drugs to help, but I was absolutely miserable that Sunday. It took like a week to recover from that unpleasant side effect. If you're at all sensitive like I am to opioids, etc., I would suggest stocking up on simethicone, colace, and Buscopan (if you live outside the US).
    *************************************************************************************************************Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Another thing that is not directly related to the d&c, but happened for me afterwards, is intense headaches.  I get migraines, often seem hormonal, so it kind of makes sense that I would get them when my hormones were crashing post-d&c.  But I was not prepared.  I had to get my PCP to call in refills on my migraine meds (which I had stopped taking over the 1.5 years we were TTC + almost 3 months of pregnancy), and then couldn't function so much when they were really bad.  So if you are at all prone to hormonal migraines, I would make sure you have meds, heating pads, etc.--whatever helps you--ready to go.
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
  • Options
    I second what @moosette113 said. My digestive system pretty much shut down. I had extreme cramps and abdominal bloating/pain. If I would have known that was going to happen I would have started taking miralax or something similar right away. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    And then on top of that I took antibiotics afterwards also so I went from being constipated to complete opposite very quickly! 
  • Options
    JDMRSJDMRS member
    @BrightenMySky Wow- you just made me realize why I am having migraines all of a sudden. 

• Options
    @JDMRS sorry to hear that and hope you get some relief soon.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
  • Options
    Personally after both my procedures I had a quick recovery. Wear easy loose clothing, I wore sweat pants, a tank with a bra built in and a T-shirt. I was a little out of it and easy clothing to put on is best. 

Although every hospital is different, mine did a great job anticipating every need and explained everything as I went. Even the small stuff like offering the bathroom before my IV and before we went to the operating room. 

Depending on your personal belief's mine offered a non-denominational Chaplin, we refused the first time (I already passed 1/2 naturally), the second time we had them bless the remains.

The first C&D they only gave me some Ibuprofen in my IV, I had some cramping that whole day equivalent to probably a JR. High period cramping. My doctor just said take as many Advil as you need. 

The second they gave me narcotics I woke up freezing, they immediately covered me in warm blankets. The narcotics made me nausea so they gave me anti nausea meds and had me finish my IV for the fluids before I left. That recovery I had little to no cramping. 

So each recovery is different. 

I would suggest wearing a small pad for the next week or so, I found that I had some random spotting throughout the week. 

Thoughts and prayers to you, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. 
  • Options
    I will also echo PP. I don't know what I can add that is useful, but I've now had two D&E (D&C's).

The first was more terrible. I don't think she evacuated everything as thoroughly as possible. The first day was fine. Please advocate for a strong oral pain medication postoperatively--it will make the rest of day one pretty comfortable for you physically (norco, oxy, something other than ibuprofen or tylenol). Day two for me the first time I went into a mini-labor that evening...passed a moderate amount of blood and had contraction-like pains every five or so minutes for 2-3 hours. Once that passed, it turned to brown light flow and spotting for a week or so after. The increased bleeding may have been related to the two SCH's I had. My OB said there was a LOT of blood during the D&E.

This last time (last week), I believe he did a more thorough evacuation (plus no SCH). I had only brown spotting for the next 5 days, and never enough to fill more than a pantyliner per day. No contraction-like pains or bright blood. That being said, some bright red blood can be expected and isn't abnormal unless you are going through a pad per hour.

Both times, I was pretty crampy for 4-5 days after, which eventually subsided. Nothing bad, I would venture to say nothing even as bad as period cramps. I was getting over a UTI this last time, which I think was causing most of any pains I had. What has hurt the most has been passing gas and BM's (both times), but this eventually subsides too. The best explanation I can find is that the nerve endings are all rattled down there and are sensitive for a while afterward. Both D&E's were done with a baby that never grew bigger than 6 1/2 weeks, so I was pretty much where you are now.

If the anesthetist is worth their salt, they will load you up with anti-nausea medicines, and coupled with the anesthetic agents they use, it's very likely you will be constipated. Stool softeners are wonderful, try to keep up with fluid intake, and fiber intake. I'm still pretty backed up and it's been ten days now. >:(

Things to have on hand: a variety of absorbancies of pad and pantyliners, comfy clothes, ibuprofen/tylenol, heating pad, stool softeners, and lots of distractions for the preop period and also when you get home and don't feel like doing much. Also, don't be afraid to take off as much time you need from work or other responsibilities.

@BrightenMySky, I usually get migraines too that magically go away while pregnant. After this last MC, I've had nearly constant tension-type headaches that I'm attributing to retreating HCG and my renewed love for unlimited caffeine intake. I'm finding the overall feeling of hormone changes this time to be worse. Last time, I had more pregnancy symptoms, so I noticed those retreating. With this last pregnancy, I had barely any symptoms at all, and now I just feel like I have had the worst PMS of my life.

@16isourluckynumber, I'm so sorry you are going through this. I will keep you in my T&P. I hope my experiences help you. I have found that the emotional aftermath by far trumps the physical...don't be afraid to reach out to others for support. Hugs.

• Options
    thank you, everyone, for your helpful advice and your kind words.  This has been very supportive!  
  • Options
    Thanks again.  I had my D&C using suction this morning at 7 am.  I was home by 8:30.  I have had no discomfort or pain.  I did take 800 mg of Motrin at 8 am.  I have a little bleeding, kind of like the 2nd half of a period.  The worst part was just getting the IV placed and my anxiety about being put under.  I may go to work tomorrow, or I may work from home.  My doctor said no sex for a week, then condoms for the rest of the month, then we can try again next month after AF.  
  • Options
    @16isourluckynumber I'm glad to hear things went smoothly but again, so sorry you had to go through this. Don't be afraid to take time off if you need it.  
  • Options
    I'm so sorry again. Im glad you are okay! (I agree, the iv was by far the worst part) thinking of you. 
  • Options
    @16isourluckynumber glad to hear your procedure went well...the anesthesia was the scary thing for me because I've never had general before. Thankfully everyone who took care of me was so nice and put me at ease with my fears. Take care of yourself *hugs*
  • Options
    Glad your procedure went well. Be sure to take care of yourself.