Pregnant after IF

Graduating to your OB

I'd love to hear everyone stories/experiences with graduating from their RE to their OB!

Here is mine:
Wow was going to the regular OB a disappointment after specialized private care for so long. I know that at bigger hospitals they have more patients to see, but I at least expected a decent ultrasound. But nope, we could barely see the heartbeat as the quality was so poor. I don't know if that was just from the machine, or because it was an abdominal ultrasound, but wow was I letdown. My OB was nice enough, but we just don't click in my opinion. When I go back in 4 weeks I am seeing a different one to see if she and I are a better fit.

I am so going to miss my RE when I graduate this week. (I won't miss the expense, but I will miss the people and the quality of care)
About us:
Me - 28, Lean PCOS
DH - 31
Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

Re: Graduating to your OB

• Yea, my first appt with OB was a big let down too. I randomly picked one that fit into our work schedule. Not to be ageist but our OB was pushing close to 80 years old, no joke. The nurse did most of the talking. Ultra sound machine was was not even close to what they used at infertility office. They brushed off some of my concerns. Now I'm totally thinking if we should make another visit with another OB to talk about my concerns. I definitely have to change to another doctor! 
    2012 Diagnosis with high fsh, low ovarian reserve.
    34 years old at the time. 

July 2012 
    IUI #1 Clomid - BFN

August 2012
    IUI #2 Clomid - BFN

September 2012
    IUI #3 Clomid - BFN

October 2012
    IUI #4 Gonal-f injectables - BFP
    Baby son born in July 2013
  • NB817NB817 member
    I'm curious how many weeks you were when you went for your first OB visit? 
    Ive been to my OB for my first pregnancy ( no fertility treatments) and again from my RE for this second pregnancy. 
    Typically an OB doesn't even do an u/s at your first visit. It's usually a pee in a cup to confir the pregnancy and talking. Both times this is how it was for me regardless of the fact that I had proof that I was already pregnant from RE. It was annoying but typical. My first u/s with my first pregnancy was done around 8-9 weeks and done for dating purposes but this was after the initial visit. With this pregnancy I didn't obviously need a dating u/s because fertility treatments and science but I wanted another and kind of played the receptionist so I got one a week after that initial appointment around 10 weeks. my OB has great u/s equipment so I never even noticed a difference between that and REs. 
    I understand you're disappointed but just know that typically they don't even do u/s on an initial visit at least around here. 

ME: 35 DH: 39

Married July 2011

DD Born 8/12

TTC #2 since 11/13

ME: Submucosal Fibroid Surgery Date APRIL 14th 2015 -Left Tube is blocked by Fibroid~Surgeon removed 26 Fibroids from my Ute and Unblocked my Tube

DH:Azoospermia...Thank God we have 12 vials of frozen swimmers

July 15-Check to see if Ute is all healed

IUI #1 8/3/15...BFN

IUI #2 9/5/15...BFP on 9/17/15

Beta #1-344

Beta #2-809

Beta #3 8,390

1st u/s 8/8/15 1 bean HB 135 @ 6w5d

• Loading the player...
  • From what I've heard, every OB and hospital is different. I graduated from my RE at 7 weeks and had my first ultrasound there. At 11 weeks I had my first appt at my OB's office but only saw an NP (this apparently is the system at this place) and had an ultrasound there too. 15 weeks was when I first met my OB, however she transferred me to MFM right away (I have sarcoidosis -- an autoimmune disease -- so they wanted me to see a doc at MFM instead just incase it could impact the pregnancy. Also had some strange blood work results that ended up being negative thankfully which was another reason I was sent to MFM). Now I have an ultrasound at every appt (standard at MFM) even if it's just with a little handheld ultrasound device. BUT that also comes hand in hand with being considered high risk I think. 

I'd def ask to see a different OB for sure. Originally at my OB (before MFM) they encouraged me to see a different doc within the practice each time to get to know them --- especially since the odds of having your own OB deliver your baby is slim to none. 

Good luck, I hope things work out better in the future! Also, when the baby is bigger I am sure the ultrasounds will be clearer as well. The anatomy scan is amazing for sure :smile: 
  • @NB817 I too had an initial visit about 2.5 weeks ago of taking a urine test and speaking to a nurse, then having my blood drawn. Yesterday was my first visit seeing the actual OB. I was 9+3 weeks along, so later than they usually see patients the first time. He said he couldn't do a dating scan because of how fuzzy the u/s was, and that it was good that I had proof from my RE of how far along I am.

@mechelita44 That is interesting to hear that they recommended you see a different doc each time. I too go to a place where they do "shift work" so the doc you usually see won't necessarily be there for your birth. I don't know how many OBs they have, but as it is the main hospital (for my insurance) on the entire westside of LA for labor and delivery, I'm guessing a lot! I think that means I need to have a very firm and clear birth plan, as I probably won't see my chosen OB.

@JustLilOMe Mine too is quite old (technically he's retired, but he works 2-3 days a week). I hope you find one you like!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• I graduated from my RE at 8 weeks and had my 1st appt with my OB at 9+5 weeks. It was with the NP who referred me to my RE. I didn't get an u/s or any tests to confirm pregnancy. I told them how far I was and the due date that my RE gave me. They took some blood, did a pap and checked my cervix. I was told I'm AMA and that I should have some tests done at MFM. Although I was a patient of the practice prior to becoming pregnant, I'm switching OBs. The office doesn't have a machine to do u/s, and you have to go the hospital or another facility to have them done. 
  • I am also trying to decide between OBs. I have an OB that I saw once for annual check-up but he was very nice and he referred me to an RE as soon as he realized that I had PCOS so he did not let me loose time. He has his own practice, which I like better this way and he works with a very good hospital. However, I have to commute around 1 hr each way to see him and also for the hospital. If I decide to have the labor in a hospital that is very close to where I live and work , then I have to see a doctor in the hospital. I think this will mean that I have to schedule my U/S separately than OB appointments and I have to have the labor with the on-call doctor , not my own doctor. Another advantage of the latter is, since I also work for that hospital I do not have to pay any co-pats for anything.
    As this is my first pregnancy, I have no idea how I should make this decision. I think I will feel more comfortable with the private practice but I do not want to take half day off every time I need to see the doctor. I am really stressed because of this decision.
  • @Jerseygirl856 Huh. How strange that they didn't do anything to confirm a pregnancy, not even a urine test.

@ZoeFer Yikes! An hour each way seems like not fun, especially once you go into labor! I too don't know how best to decide which doctor I want to see, or if I want to see different ones each time.

It sounds like a lot of the choice has to do with your insurance carrier. With mine, I don't really get to pick where I go. I have Kaiser, which means I go to a Kaiser hospital, and I think there is only one near me that does labor and delivery, so that is the one I go to. I can't pick a private practice.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• Yep. First OB appointment total disappointment after treatment with RE.

Me: 40 | DH: 45 | together 14 years

TTC since 9/2015

• Low AMH (0.1), high FSH (23.7), low AFC (4), low responder to stimulation, given 0.5% chance of being able to conceive
    • High Risk Factors: AMA, APS (antiphospholipid syndrome), obesity, uterine fibroid, rh negative
    • SA: everything excellent
    • Began medicated cycles (clomid, ovidrel, follistim, estrogen, progesterone)
    • 1st IUI: 3/27/16, BFP: 4/11/16, EDD 12/18/16!!!

We trust and pray that God will continue to bless us with a full-term, smooth pregnancy and the delivery of a healthy baby.

Pregnancy Ticker