September 2015 Moms

Dr Brown bottle nipple size

what size nipple is everyone using? I've been on 1 this whole time and think it's time for 2. Anyone else have suggestions? Should I be on 3 already? 

Re: Dr Brown bottle nipple size

• We use 3 with our munchkin latch bottles. Switched about a month ago. I EP tho so there's no going back to the boob so the faster nipple isn't an issue for us. It's nice to be done with a bottle in 10 mins and not a half hour or more. 
  • We are transitioning to 4 now. I'd buy a few two and get babe used to that flow and move up to 3 for awhile. You will noticed a big change is being fast baby takes the bottle. 
  • Loading the player...
  • It depends on how fast baby is drinking and if they are getting frustrated. We saw a speech therapist and she said to use the smallest nipple size that works. But if it is taking a super long time or they are getting frustrated with the flow rate to go up a size. The concern is that if the flow is too fast, they could aspirate. We use Evenflo and are currently on a level 3 because she gets oatmeal in her bottle, but we have to watch her closely when she eats and pace her a lot. As soon as we have weaned the oatmeal out of her bottle, we will be using a level 2. 
  • We are still on 1.  We were on preemie until a few weeks ago.   Lo has always had a really strong suck.   He can finish 4 Oz in about 5-6 minutes.  
  • We have been on 3 for a while. LO gets frustrated with a slower ni]le because my let down is strong. I have fours on hand just in case. 
  • Mine is on a 2 we tried 3s of dr browns and he started choking and spilling it all out his mouth. 
  • Just went up to 2 about 3 weeks ago because he was starting to get frustrated but he is happy now with the 2
  • We use Dr. Brown's and we're on the size 2 nipples. We tried the 3's when he turned 6 months, but he had a hard time with those, some choking and coughing while feeding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I used a premie Nipple until LO was 5 almost 6 months ... She was fine with it & wasn't frustrated while taking the bottle at all so we stuck with it but once she neared 6 months I caved & let the label get to me ... We're using size 1. 
  • I use dr brown as well. We are on size 3s and have been for a couple of weeks. We used size 2s for a couple of months.

When LO starts either taking a very long time to finish a bottle and seems to get distracted while eating all the time I figure it's time to move up. Both times it's been a fix.
  • LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
    edited April 2016
    I believe the package says 6+ months-Size 3. I switched him around 6 months. It does take them a few days to get use to the new one, but we are doing great. I feed him on a big angle so he's way closer to sitting up than laying down. No choking or gagging issues. 
  • We moved to the size 2 nipple when he was about 5 months and loved it. It made feeding time go so much faster and he seemed happier with the flow. We then moved to the size 3 nipple when he was 6 months, but it caused him to drink so fast that he'd spit up immediately after. Like some previous posters mentioned, he also choked/coughed a little because it went too fast for him. I'm sure it takes time to get used to, but we went back to the 2's for now. 
  • We tried the Dr. Brown's size 3 a few days ago and he wasn't ready, so we're back to a 2.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • 2, we've tried 3 a few times, still not ready- he spits milk out and cries with the 3, that's how we know!
  • We also use preemie. I started with 1s as an EPer but tried to get back to breast by slowing it down. He can suck down a bottle in under ten minutes if I don't pace feed.