Breastfeeding

Feeling discouraged :/

Hi all, FTM here of a 6 week old. I'm currently ebf. I would like to get a breastpump from WIC for when I start school but my mom says I should get formula instead. She doesn't think I'll be making enough milk for my son by the time he is 3 months and says that I'll need to give him formula at that age. But so far it seems like I'm making enough for my LO. I just don't know if I should ask the WIC for a breastpump if later I'm going to need to ask for formula if I can't meet my baby's demands. What if they refuse to give me formula at that time since they already gave me a breastpump. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that there's no reason why I won't be able to keep up with my baby's demand.

Re: Feeling discouraged :/

• NickiochNickioch member
    edited April 2016
    No way!! I mean there's nothing wrong with formula but SO often we think we aren't producing enough or let outside sources convince us of this--not true! If you're ever concerned visit a lactatation consultant (this is free at your hospital! Or find a local Le Leche League also free support). Your body is doing what it needs to do, listen to your instincts. Having a pump is great and will be important in maintaining your natural supply process if/when you work. Don't worry too much about building freezer supply before you need it; it's all about making just enough for while you're away from baby. Kellymom.com is great resource too. Keep up the good work feeding your sweet babe and try not to be swayed by your mom or anyone else!! It's ok to say thanks for the concern and suggestion, but not do what they say. You're the parent, your body, your baby. :)
  • Also I don't know anything about the system but I can't imagine being denied formula because you got a pump. Happens all the time that people switch to formula or due to medical or production issues make the switch to supplement, I wouldn't worry about that!
  • Loading the player...
  • Not sure how much has changed but 10 years ago I was able to get a pump and then switched to formula at 6 months through WIC.

Also, please don't let your mother discourage you. I find that people who didnt BF usually don't know what they're talking about! 
  • Even if you aren't able to make "enough" milk, whatever you do make will be great for your babe. I don't see why your mom would think that you wouldn't be able to make enough though. 
    I was able to get a pump for free through my insurance so maybe check into that. 
    Remember that as long as your babe has plenty of wet diapers and is growing then you are making plenty of milk. It can be hard to tell when you are breastfeeding because there isn't a way to measure how much you are producing. 
    Don't let anyone discourage you. Use your mom instincts! 
  • It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job breastfeeding your baby and your mom is being incredibly unsupportive.  I think you should absolutely get a breast pump!  I would also encourage you to find your local Le Leche League chapter so you can get surrounded by people that are knowledgeable and supportive about breastfeeding.  I am not reading anything in your post that indicates there is a supply issue.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    You're doing great so far, don't let her talk you out of doing what you want. 
  • Questions about WIC benefits are legit.  I would do research on that, but I doubt it would be a problem.

there is absolutely no reason to think you won't be able to keep up with your baby's needs.  Ignore your mom and do what you feel is best.

I swear the best advice I got when I was pregnant was to take everyone's advice with a grain of salt.  You know your body and your baby best.  You make the decisions. Everyone else's opinions be damned! 
  • Due to DS being a lazy eater I went to essentially exclusively pumping so I actually can measure my milk production. I obviously can't say what your body will do but I have watched my own supply steadily increase over time as I pumped every 2/3 hours to mimic how DS would eat. In fact I now have an oversupply and a ton in the freezer so it is entirely possible for you to pump and feed your baby just fine if that's what you want.
  • Yes, the most important part about pumping, is to be sure to pump every 2/3 hours so you mimic how often baby would nurse. You can feed baby, and then pump 30 minutes later. It will help increase your supply. You do not need formula. Your body will make enough for baby. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • There are also herbs and food you can take to increase your supply. For example I take fenugreek as a supplement and eat oatmeal every day. I also heard almonds are good so I started buying those. Lots of protein in your diet is also good and drink plenty of water.