Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

baby carrier question

Hi everyone,
Having a 4 year old and a newborn makes it pretty essential that I babywear, a lot! I have an Ergo 360 that I thought I would love, but it is so stiff feeling. I see people around with Ergos that look more "floppy" and comfortable. Will this eventually happen with use, or is there a different model I should have considered? Let me know your favorite carrier! I also have a K'Tan but I was looking for something different. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: baby carrier question

• Options
    2-Step2-Step member
    edited March 2016
    My favorite newborn carrier is the moby. Newborns are so floppy that the ability to adjust the wrap perfectly to hold them in place is nice for them and most comfortable for me I think. I've found the more structured carriers like the Ergo are best for once they reach the stage where they are more aware and strong and can look around on their own. I have an original Ergo, not the 360, and it is very soft and was from the day I bought it, but it's just a little too big and awkward for a tiny newborn, even with the insert. I don't know the difference exactly with the 360. I don't use the Ergo at all until they are at least 4-5 months. After that stage I retire the moby because I have big babies and they are too heavy for a stretchy wrap to be supportive. 
  • Options
    We have the boba wrap, which is similar to the moby but less stretchy I think.  It is great for this stage of tiny floppiness.  We have the lillebaby for when she gets a little bigger and less floppy.  I didn't love the ktan, but thought that I would.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a Beco Gemini and I love it. It's not as snuggly as the wraps, but I honestly never could work out wraps or slings and needed something with buckles. You can adjust the width at the bottom to get froggy legs without having it be too wide, and I like the head support. The minimum weight is 7 lbs, I believe, and my friend still uses it with her toddler. 
  • Options
    I got a regular Ergo at a secondhand shop. I like it, but I like the Mei Tai I have better. https://www.infantino.com/collections/carriers/products/sash

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    If you're okay with the learning curve woven wraps are a great option. They're snuggly and soft... And look super pretty! It takes a bit to figure out the carries but if you get a cotton one in your base size it's really not that difficult. My baby loves them. Insta-nap when he goes up!
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Options
    I have the Beco Gemeni and love it! I didn't feel comfortable using a wrap, so this has been great for me. I didn't start using it until my daughter was a few months old, but it is supposed to be fine for newborns.
  • Options
    Another vote for beco Gemini! I've had it since DS1 was a baby and love it! It's nice and soft, easy to get baby in and adjust. It's super versatile- you can carry them in 4 different positions, from newborn to toddler!

Anniversary

• Options
    I had the Beco Gemini and really didn't like it for now, but can see it being really helpful when LO gets older (she's 3 weeks now). I made my own Moby and absolutely LOVE it. I just bought 6 yards of a lightweight jersey cotton, the kind that doesn't fray when cut. And cut it lengthwise so it was 24" wide. Then I sewed a patch on the midpoint (where Moby has their tag) and voila!