January 2016 Moms
Options

Baby sleeps with face against side of bassinet

l4rkl4rk member
edited April 2016 in January 2016 Moms
The last couple mornings we have woken up to LO diagonal with her face smushed against the side of the bassinet. This morning I moved her back to the middle and she had wriggled back into the same position within 5 minutes.

Being right in the highest SIDS range, thiis behaviour is really freaking me out. I'm considering a couple things:

1. Buying a new bassinet with all mesh sides 
2. Moving her crib in our room

Does anyone have any insight? We are favouring the second option because the first costs $300, but will this make it harder when we want her to sleep in her own room? Also will she wake up more in the large space? She literally only just started sleeping a 4.5 hour stretch 2 days ago...

ETA: fixed autocorrect 

Re: Baby sleeps with face against side of bassinet

• Options
    klbhklbh member
    Why are you worried about sleep problems if you move her crib into your room? We've had our son's crib next to our bed since day one and are just planning to wheel it down the hall once we transition him to the nursery. That seems like the best option to me! She can get used to the crib when you're nearby.
  • Options
    I would put her in her crib as well. You could also have her sleep in a pack and play in your room. They have mesh sides and are only like $50 USD. We did that before we transitioned her to her crib in her room. They take up less space than the crib. I wouldn't think having her in a crib in your room would be any different than the bassinet in terms of sleep habits down the road. In my experience, babies do what they do sleep wise and it just depends on your particular baby. Our baby started sleeping much better and longer once we started her sleeping in her crib so that worked best for us. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    Thanks! I guess my crib worry was that she would get used to the crib in our space and be upset when it suddenly had different surroundings. But that's probably just crazy FTM thinking... :)  I'm thinking I will get a pack n play for her room so we can use it during the day to play and have naked time in, and therefore keep her room a familiar part of the house. Otherwise we would only go in there to get changed!

@claireloSC and @klbh, thank you SO much for your input. I needed that rational thinking!
  • Options
    My baby does the same thing. Not ready to move her to crib yet, so what I do is angle her more to were the top of her head is in the side, so when she turns her head it isn't smashed into the side. Works for us. We kept putting her in the middle but she kept moving. So with her more angled she doesn't move and can still breath. I guess she likes to sleep crooked. 
  • Options
    We had her in the pack and play on our room for about a week then another week in her room, and then finally transitioned to the crib. It worked well and it was an easy transition. Makes sense to keep her room familiar. You could also do her play time or tummy time in that room to make her feel comfy in there. My LO loves diapers changes and for the first few weeks that was all she did in her room so I think it became a calm place for her early on. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    I'm all for crib. I kicked LO out of our room at 6 weeks and she sleeps so much better in her crib in her own room.
  • Options
    My baby has been doing this for about a month but luckily he's been right at the mesh opening in the middle of the bassinet. He's just went through a growth spurt and I'm afraid he's going to be too high now and I'm planning to start transitioning him to his crib in his room this week. If anyone has any other pointers for an easier transition (for baby and mamma, I'd love to hear them as well!)
  • Options
    We had the same problem. I suspected that maybe the bottom of the bassinet wasn't quite level. I put a folded up blanket under the mattress of the side that she rolled toward to prop it up slightly. We haven't had a problem since. 
  • Options
    krrpe99 said:
    We had the same problem. I suspected that maybe the bottom of the bassinet wasn't quite level. I put a folded up blanket under the mattress of the side that she rolled toward to prop it up slightly. We haven't had a problem since. 
    I thought this was our problem was as well. Then I saw him multiple time put his legs in the air (with his sleep sack on) and shimmy himself turning his head until it hit the side of the bassinet. 
  • Options
    @claireloSC We are still having DS sleep in our room, in the pack and play due to our house renovations taking a little longer than expected.  With that being said, we do put LO in his crib for naps and I try and have him up in his room as much as I can, to get him used to and comfortable in there.  He falls asleep easily in it, and I was just telling DH, I bet he will sleep so much better in the crib once we finally get up there.

Did you put the PnP in her room just to get her used to sleeping in her room?  I am curious if maybe we should do that too, once we get upstairs or just start putting him in the crib, because he already takes naps here and there in it.  I am hoping he starts sleeping longer and more sound once we get him in the crib too. 
  • Options
    We put our little on in the crib in her own room at 6 weeks. She loves it because she has so much room to sprall. And since putting her in there she's been sleeping longer stretches. Shes 10 weeks and now sleeps 6-7 hr stretch then eats and sleeps another 3-4 hr. She was getting too big for the bassinet so we decided it was time
  • Options
    Yes my baby does this maneuver every night shimmying with her feet.  We have a halo bassinets with mesh sides which I love.  IMO if you plan on having more kids, then buying a new bassinet might makes sense,  but if LO is your last, there is such little time left (I know Halo stops at something like 20 lbs, 5 months or when they can pull themselves up).  I don't even like her doing it with the mesh but I'm not ready for her to leave my room yet so I'm considering moving the crib into my room.  
  • Options
    @claireloSC We are still having DS sleep in our room, in the pack and play due to our house renovations taking a little longer than expected.  With that being said, we do put LO in his crib for naps and I try and have him up in his room as much as I can, to get him used to and comfortable in there.  He falls asleep easily in it, and I was just telling DH, I bet he will sleep so much better in the crib once we finally get up there.

Did you put the PnP in her room just to get her used to sleeping in her room?  I am curious if maybe we should do that too, once we get upstairs or just start putting him in the crib, because he already takes naps here and there in it.  I am hoping he starts sleeping longer and more sound once we get him in the crib too. 
    If you're already putting LO in the crib for naps, you're probably good and can go straight to crib!

LO had been sleeping in a sidecar co-sleeper DW built, so we started with the pack and play to get her used to sleeping in her own big space and on a flat surface as we had put the co-sleeper mattress at a slight incline when she was super gassy in the early weeks. It took a couple days but she took to it really well. Then we moved it into her room because she was already used to sleeping in it by then so it was an easy transition. I don't think she noticed the change of scenery much.

Honestly we didn't have the crib yet either because we had planned on her sleeping the co-sleeper for longer. Her room was our guest room and we wanted to keep the bed in there for a while after birth so my sister had a place to stay when she came out to help. After a couple days in the crib she went from being a good sleeper to a great sleeper, and we both sleep better too. It's been pretty glorious, honestly. She'll be 8 weeks on Wed and we started her in the PnP around 5 weeks. We even were traveling last week and had her sleep in the pack and play again and she took right back to the crib once we came home.
  • Options
    I decided I wasn't ready to try the crib quite yet so I moved the PnP into our room as a trial run last night to see how he would do in a larger space. And he was a good sleeper in his bassinet sleeping 7-10/11 then 11/12-6. In the PnP he loved having more space as he was wiggling around in circles all night and he slept from 7-6. Didn't wake up for the 10/11 feeding! Makes me feel a bit better about the transition. Now at least we can try the crib slowly and if he has a bad night in it at least I know he will be able to come back into our room for the rest of the night. 
  • Options
    I roll up a small blanket to put behind LO (trying to even out his head shape) and then a receiving blanket rolled up in front of him (since its thinner). I'm also still swaddling him. He always wakes up in the same position. I learned about the blanket bumpers from the NICU when LO was there.