What is your baby's Sex?

Re: What is your baby's Sex?

• Loading the player...
  • @pilotswifey that looks like so much fun. What a good idea
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • I dont know the sex yet but I was at my monthly check up yesterday and this lady was commenting on how you can naturally select to have a boy or a girl, I got home and did some research and apparently it's true! There's a science to it, male (y) sperm swims faster and dies sooner while female (x) swims slower and lives longer. If you have sex right before ovulation or the day of, you're more likely to have a boy and if you have sex a few days before ovulation you're more likely to have a girl. Based on this, I should be having a boy, I'll let you know next week when I find out. 
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• camichael84camichael84 member
    edited March 2016
    @fiorip I don't think there is any conclusive evidence that timing can effect the sex of the baby. There are a bunch of theories on how to "pick" the sex of your baby, but nothing is truly proven. I see it like old wives tales... fun way to try to guess, but nothing to take seriously. 

ETA: You're right about the science of it, but I've read it's not enough of a difference to strongly impact sex determination.

• @fiorip I don't think there is any conclusive evidence that timing can effect the sex of the baby. There are a bunch of theories on how to "pick" the sex of your baby, but nothing is truly proven. I see it like old wives tales... fun way to try to guess, but nothing to take seriously. 

ETA: You're right about the science of it, but I've read it's not enough of a difference to strongly impact sex determination.
    There are several articles published even in medical journals that suggest it works, it is not 100% proven as a fact but it has around a 70% effectiveness, which is more than 50-50. 

So if someone has 2 girls and wants to try for a boy, I say give it a shot, there's nothing to loose. 

The X and the Y chromosomes are very different, so it's not such a crazy idea that X carrying sperm is different than Y carrying sperm.
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

• @fiorip I've heard of this theory too. It worked for our first. Not sure when I conceived based on ovulation with either of the others. It's worth a shot right?
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • @fiorip Idk, we had sex every single day for a week straight leading up to O and after O (yes, we wanted a baby!!) and it's a boy. Technically it could've easily been a girl though with that theory no? It's interesting regardless but I think the only way to ascertain the sex is to do sex selection through sperm sorting.
  • fiorip said:
    @fiorip I don't think there is any conclusive evidence that timing can effect the sex of the baby. There are a bunch of theories on how to "pick" the sex of your baby, but nothing is truly proven. I see it like old wives tales... fun way to try to guess, but nothing to take seriously. 

There are several articles published even in medical journals that suggest it works, it is not 100% proven as a fact but it has around a 70% effectiveness, which is more than 50-50. 

So if someone has 2 girls and wants to try for a boy, I say give it a shot, there's nothing to loose. 

The X and the Y chromosomes are very different, so it's not such a crazy idea that X carrying sperm is different than Y carrying sperm.
    I can use the same argument in my favor. There are also articles published (medical journals and otherwise) that suggests timing doesn't make a big difference. I don't dispute one bit that the sperm are different or even that there is a difference in speed and longevity based on X or Y chromosome. The issue is whether it is a big enough difference to make a large impact. 

I agree it's worth a shot if you're wanting a particular sex, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it working. 

• @fiorip Idk, we had sex every single day for a week straight leading up to O and after O (yes, we wanted a baby!!) and it's a boy. Technically it could've easily been a girl though with that theory no? It's interesting regardless but I think the only way to ascertain the sex is to do sex selection through sperm sorting.
    Haha. We did the same with my first, so I know for her we conceived the week of Christmas, but couldn't give an exact date. This time we were NTNP, so I know it was one of two days. There a very real chance this baby was made after some festive drinking at a company Christmas party.

Actually if you had sex everyday it would make more sense for the baby to be a boy, since the newer faster sperm would swim to meet the ovum on ovulation day. But like a said, it doesn't hurt trying, not everyone can afford a procedure like that and not even with that it's 100%, sperm sorting is like 75-85% effective. I would take boy, girl, trans, anything really that's my own little human  :)
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

• fiorip said:

I can use the same argument in my favor. There are also articles published (medical journals and otherwise) that suggests timing doesn't make a big difference. I don't dispute one bit that the sperm are different or even that there is a difference in speed and longevity based on X or Y chromosome. The issue is whether it is a big enough difference to make a large impact. 

I agree it's worth a shot if you're wanting a particular sex, but I wouldn't put too much stock in it working. 
    Whether timing makes a difference or not is up for debate so you can't discredit it. What it means is that further testing and research is needed to proof if it affects the sex or not. Like I said, it's not 100% it's just a free way to try, shouldn't be a problem if it works or not. 
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

• I was thinking the same thing...Our timing was (I think) -3, -1, and 0.  So even if the boy spermies are faster couldn't it have easily been a girl spermie from -3 that had had plenty of time to get up to the egg as soon as it was released?  Doesn't matter how fast the boys were if they were way back at the starting line ;)  We'll see what happens...

I'm more interested in the theory of looking at what the man's side of the family tends to produce.  If you look at the men on DH's side of the family, including father, grandfather, cousins, etc., they are all making boys.  One of his cousins finally had a little girl after 3 boys.  Again, we'll see...
    Me - 33  DH - 36
    DD 10/4/02
    DS due 9/28/16

BabyFetus Ticker
  • ajn092   Between DH and two of his cousins there are 9 boys, 3 of which are ours.  He finally spit a girl out this time!  But he is the only boy from his dad and he has 4 sisters.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • tinypikachutinypikachu member
    edited April 2016
    About the theory of determining the sex by timing the sex, I don't believe that it would make a difference and I read about it before we conceived just because I stumbled upon it and the research I found said that there was no difference in determining the sex of the baby. Many X and Y sperm reach the egg at almost the same time and it's all about who pierces through first. I read there is a difference in X and Y behavior but it doesn't affect which one penetrates first.

We were NTNP because of a loss and we had sex on ovulation day and we're having a girl. It could be fun to try but I wouldn't give it any more credit than an old wives' tale.

Edit: misused term 'sperm sorting'
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @AlwaysAuntNeverMom I'm not sure what the "who swims faster" theory is called but when I said sperm sorting I meant the actual process of sorting sperm and then inseminating. 
  • @AlwaysAuntNeverMom I'm not sure what the "who swims faster" theory is called but when I said sperm sorting I meant the actual process of sorting sperm and then inseminating. 
    Whoops! Sorry, I read it all and I guess it got jumbled in my head  :D Editing now!
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @ajn092 DH's family produces boys. Lots of boys. His grandpa was one of two boys, dad was one of four boys, and out of the 8 great-grandkids, DD is the only girl (DH and his cousins were evenly split, 3 boys and 3 girls). We don't know what this one is yet, but either way we will (for now) remain the only one on his dad's side with a daughter. DH always has to be the odd one out. Haha. 

• Without testing when do you normally find out? And side note, when do you start to 'show'? Ill be 16 weeks on Monday and feel like I still look the same!
  • @kathleenflutur They'll be able to tell sex at your anatomy scan, which is typically done between 18-22 weeks, depending on your OB's policy. Showing depends on the woman. First time moms usually take longer to show because the muscles have never been stretched before. I was 18-20 week when I started noticing a difference with my first. I started noticing a bump around 14 weeks this time.

• The subject on sex selection due to sex timing. We were -4,-3,-2. Hubby was not down to do the dirty when I o'd. I thought I was out and next thing I know I'm knocked up. It would seem I would be a pregnant with a girl with this timing but I am having a boy. 

Me:24 ~~~~~ DH:26

High school Sweethearts 03/29/07

Engaged 11/29/2009

Married 09/04/2012

TTC#1-06/01/2015

BFP 12/27/2015 EDD 9/8/2016

It's a BOY!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • fiorip said:
    @fiorip Idk, we had sex every single day for a week straight leading up to O and after O (yes, we wanted a baby!!) and it's a boy. Technically it could've easily been a girl though with that theory no? It's interesting regardless but I think the only way to ascertain the sex is to do sex selection through sperm sorting.
    Actually if you had sex everyday it would make more sense for the baby to be a boy, since the newer faster sperm would swim to meet the ovum on ovulation day. But like a said, it doesn't hurt trying, not everyone can afford a procedure like that and not even with that it's 100%, sperm sorting is like 75-85% effective. I would take boy, girl, trans, anything really that's my own little human  :)
    Not quite since the girl sperm would be lying in wait.

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• fiorip said:
    @fiorip Idk, we had sex every single day for a week straight leading up to O and after O (yes, we wanted a baby!!) and it's a boy. Technically it could've easily been a girl though with that theory no? It's interesting regardless but I think the only way to ascertain the sex is to do sex selection through sperm sorting.
    Not quite since the girl sperm would be lying in wait.
    I would debate that even if it's lying waiting, newer sperm would make it there faster, in my opinion. But again, it's not 100% I feel some of you are trying to proof me wrong when you don't even know whether it's true or not. If you feel you want to try it, give it a go, it's free, it's harmless and it might work. If it doesn't, oh well, then it doesn't. Don't think anyone would be devastated if it didn't. After a miscarriage and going into preterm labor and losing my son hours after being born I know the struggle some go through to actually have a baby in their arms. I would take any baby. I'm lucky I'm fertile, some aren't and that would be devastating, not the sex of the baby. 
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3