May 2016 Moms

Thoughts on the name Nixon?

**I know this isn't the baby name thread...but I like you guys! What are your thoughts on the name Nixon for our boy? I love the name but I'm not sure if there is still too much negative connotation attached to it.

Oh, our daughters name is Kennedy - NO we are not at all uber political people, I promise! We just happen to like those names.  The other name we are thinking about is Desmond. 

Thoughts/Feelings/Other Ideas? 
Me: 32 DH: 35
Married 12/7/07
DD: Born 1/2/14 
Baby #2 EDD 5/6/16

Re: Thoughts on the name Nixon?

• People are going to think it's on purpose with Nixon and Kennedy. I wouldn't. That's weird, frankly.
    WSS ^^^^^
  • Loading the player...
  • THANK YOU!! That's what I keep telling my husband. Glad to know I'm not overthinking it - it's just too much. 
    Me: 32 DH: 35
    Married 12/7/07
    DD: Born 1/2/14 
    Baby #2 EDD 5/6/16

• JoMunsonJoMunson member
    edited April 2016
    People will DEFINITELY think it's a president thing, especially since the Kennedy/Nixon debate is one of the most talked about political events.
    also...the guy quit. You really wanna name your kid after a quitter?
  • I agree with PP.
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• I agree with PP. Also, I love the name Desmond; we considered it for DS2.
  • NB817NB817 member
    Yup agree ^^ if your daughter wasn't already named Kennedy I'd say do it, but since she is its a no IMO. 

ME: 35 DH: 39

Married July 2011

DD Born 8/12

TTC #2 since 11/13

ME: Submucosal Fibroid Surgery Date APRIL 14th 2015 -Left Tube is blocked by Fibroid~Surgeon removed 26 Fibroids from my Ute and Unblocked my Tube

DH:Azoospermia...Thank God we have 12 vials of frozen swimmers

July 15-Check to see if Ute is all healed

IUI #1 8/3/15...BFN

IUI #2 9/5/15...BFP on 9/17/15

Beta #1-344

Beta #2-809

Beta #3 8,390

1st u/s 8/8/15 1 bean HB 135 @ 6w5d

• No way.  If you really love it maybe a middle name. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Agree, no Nixon or any other presidents since you've already got a Kennedy. We know a little boy named Dixon though, and it's not my style but it's cute on him. 
  • :lol: Nixon and Kennedy

I don't hate it, but of course people are going to think political - can't avoid that.
    It makes me laugh.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• My nephew is named Nickson. I don't think anyone has ever associated it with Nixon. 
  • I agree. No since you already have a Kennedy. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I agree people would think of it politically. You have to think of every worst case scenario with names ( what their initials would be, possible bad nicknames) 

By the way, I love Kennedy!  It sounds preppy and original at the same time.  Do you call her by any nickname?  

I always said if I had boy and girl twins, I would name them Jack and Jill (which would be so mean to do lol). I would not though. 
  • edited April 2016
    Either name is fine, Nixon or Desmond.  Your kid, pick what you and DH like.  I know of a Nixon, a Kennedy, and also two kids named Desmond in real life.
    It is not like all the LO's friends and teachers will be like, "Oh you have a sister named Kennedy so this is a political thing for sure."
  • The presidential correlation is too bad cause honestly i think Nixon is a super cute boys name. You could consider spelling it differently... maybe Nickson though i honestly like Nixon better. If you love the name i would honestly probably just go with it. If people ask if they are named after the presidents, just say no. 

The middle name we are going with has a particular connotation within a hobby that i partake in, and though its not the reason we chose it, I imagine I will need to explain a few times that we just liked the name by itself and its not meant to reference that. But that wasnt enough for us to decide against it.
  • Not a fan, especially with a Kennedy in the family. But as @mcb2016 said, maybe as a middle name if you really love it.

Image result for green dog

Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP #1: 9/12/2015
    DD: 6/1/2016
    BFP #2: 1/16/2018 MC 2/2/2018
  • Everyone will make the political connection. Kennedy is a president that's remembered fondly, while Nixon, well, isn't. It just seems weird to do to a kid. If you must use it, mn it.