August 2016 Moms

Tubal ligation?

My doctor asked me if I was considering getting my tubes tied after this baby (number 2 and a c-section). While I don't plan on anymore babies, I am only 28 and can't imagine the thought of being "done" if that makes sense. I like the idea of not having two recoveries and only want 2 children, but the commitment part is what is scaring me!

Anyone else debating this after your August 16' baby?

Re: Tubal ligation?

• If you aren't 100% sure, I'd just get an IUD (good for 5 years) and then make DH get a vasectomy when you are sure with your decision.

• Loading the player...
  • Nikkoli98Nikkoli98 member
    edited March 2016
    @texasmama2014, yes! - but occasionally it's one of those situations where the doctor delivers at multiple hospitals and tubals are only allowed in a non-religious hospital - her plan thus determining where the delivery should be...
  • If I have a CS this time, I'll get the tubal at the same time. If I have a successful VBAC, my husband will get snipped instead. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi! Lurking from S16 due 9/1 ...this is my third baby in 3.5 years and I considered it. I have the same woes as you since I am only 28 and fear I might regret it later.  But I'm not sure why I would since I'm pretty sure we are done. We've ultimately decided that if we do anything, it will be my husband who gets snipped. I think I've endured enough haha! Plus the recovery and surgery is easier for men...so I hear. 

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • emilymt06 said:
    My doctor asked me if I was considering getting my tubes tied after this baby (number 2 and a c-section). While I don't plan on anymore babies, I am only 28 and can't imagine the thought of being "done" if that makes sense. I like the idea of not having two recoveries and only want 2 children, but the commitment part is what is scaring me!

Anyone else debating this after your August 16' baby?
    I felt the same way after my 2nd one. I wasn't absolutely sure that I was ready to be DONE at that point. I was 29. Now 6 years later, we are expecting number 3.... unexpectedly! I am certain that this will be the last for us, and I'd really rather DH get a Vasectomy for several reasons. One of those reasons is the cost comparison and the amount the Insurance will pay, the Second being the recovery time involved. I will be taking 8 weeks off work when I have this baby, and God willing, it will be a Vaginal birth, so I don't think they would do the Tubal while I'm there to have the baby. I also don't want to have to go back to the hospital and have that done, and slow my recovery and/or my return to work. It's also actually a much more expensive procedure than a Vasectomy... about 3 times as much!
  • charmedlifex3charmedlifex3 member
    edited April 2016

We are actually talking with my doctor about the possibility of removing an ovary if I end up with a C section. My mom had ovarian cancer at 58, my grandmother died of it at 56. We're going to do the genetic testing, and if I come up high risk AND I end up with a C section (not planning on it) we want to have the instructions in place.  My doctor was very open to the idea, and said it wasn't significantly more invasive than just having a C section, and would (hopefully) prevent another abdominal surgery down the road.

I could still have kids, it would just be harder, but we're both feeling like one and done is the way to go. (Pregnancy has been kinda rough so far! Also, when this baby is born, I'm 31 and my husband is 39) And after watching both my mom and grandmother struggle with ovarian cancer, halving my chance of going through the same thing in 15 to 20 years is pretty attractive.

• Anyone else find it odd that the doctor broached the subject? Especially this early??
    I am really not sure when the best time to talk about it is, but I don't think at the end of pregnancy when everyone is uncomfortable is good either.  My doctor usually waits until the end of pregnancy.
  • @emilymt06I'll be 32 in October and I've always seen myself with 2 kids. Now that #2 is due 8.31, I too, am sure that I want my tubes tied. But, like you said, it's the commitment of truly "being done". But for us, we are definitely dine at 2, who will be just a few weeks shy of being 5 years apart. 
  • @texasmama2014 I had expressed my sentiments on this being our last baby at this specific appt, and he was setting the c-section date, which is why I believe the subject was brought up. I'm thinking his thoughts were "two birds one stone" if I wanted to go with that option. 

@seitzy3 I think we are going the same route. I'm just not 100%, so that seems to be the best option
  • @emilymt06 gotcha, well that make sense.