May 2016 Moms
Options

**Friday Ticker Change 4/1***

Week / Fruit:

Rants / Raves / Symptoms:

Upcoming Appointments:

Questions for the group:

(Borrowed/Stolen)GTKY: What baby/parenting books have you started reading/do you find most helpful?

Re: **Friday Ticker Change 4/1***

• Options
    Week / Fruit: 32/squash 

Rants / Raves / Symptoms: cankles, hot all the time, hungrier, pain everywhere (legs, thighs, back, hips, you name it), trouble sleeping, peeing all the time. You know, all 3rd tri issues!

Upcoming Appointments: MFM appointment today at 11. 

Questions for the group: I can't think of any

(Borrowed/Stolen)GTKY: What baby/parenting books have you started reading/do you find most helpful? Honestly, none. I ordered a book named Mindful Motherhood (or something like that) because the psychologist at the Children's hospital recommended it due to my anxiety after everything that happened. I will read it once it is (finally) delivered. 
  • Options
    Week / Fruit: 34 Weeks/ Butternut Squash- ANNNDDD now I want Butternut Squash soup 

Rants: Ok this one has nothing to do with pregnancy but WHY is it considered acceptable to have medicine that has side effects of things like extreme vomiting, stroke and seizures? My vet gave my dog a medicine to help with some bladder issues- after the 1st dose she threw up 6 times within 45 minutes, and then spent 3 hours shaking. I now refuse to give her anymore of it and will be calling the vet to tell them such. Both the hubby and I looked up the medicine after the first round of puking and discovered that there are many people whose dogs died within 3 months of starting this medicine. So yea. Not happening. Now onto pregnancy one- I woke up this morning and my hands are swollen :-( My wedding ring was very hard to get off and super uncomfortable. This makes me sad I was hoping I was going to be able to avoid the swelling- apparently that is not to me. 

Raves: I love this movement! Though I would be ok if she left my ribs alone. I also just wish I knew which body part I was feeling moving. 

Symptoms- Now swelling :-(, heartburn and upper back spasms. The back spasms are the part that bother me the most. 

Upcoming Appointments: Monday for another regular check up. 

Questions for the group: None. 

GTKY: What baby/parenting books have you started reading/do you find most helpful?
    AHH I'm a reader/researcher by nature so I LOVE this question. What I've read: 

Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy- LOVED it
    From the Hips- LOVED it
    What to expect when you're expecting- Meh- I found this one freaked me out a bit because then I started thinking about all the things that could go wrong 
    Pregnancy Countdown- meh- fun information but some of it is out of date
    The Birth that's Right for you- LOVED IT. This is the first purely focused on childbirth books I found & read that does a great job without bias. 

Currently Reading: American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding - so far I like it. 

On my to read stack: 
    Heading Home with Your Newborn
    It Gets Easier: and other lies we tell new mothers
    Pea in a Pod (don't know that I'll actually read this one- I might just return it to the library) 
    Sweet Sleep: Nighttime and Naptime Strategies for the Breastfeeding Family
    The Sh!t no one tells you: A guide to surviving your baby's first year
    Breastfeeding is a Bitch: but we lovingly do it anyway
    Baby Owner's Manual 
    Commando Dad: A Basic Training Manual for the First three years of Fatherhood (ok so this one is hubby's but I might read it because it seems fun)

I tried reading the Girlfriend's Guide to the first year but it was published in 1997 and the librarian in me couldn't let that go because the information is way out of date. If it was 2007 or 2009 I might have read it anyway but, 1997 is just too long ago. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @bookelf221 your poor doggy! There is something about a sick/sad dog that is totally heartbreaking. I hope she is doing better now.

Week / Fruit: 36/Honey Dew

Rants / Raves / Symptoms: All the pain, so much peeing, little sleeping, hot flashes, the works. I can't believe it is my due date month and I've only got 4 weeks until my due date!

Upcoming Appointments: Wednesday for weekly OB appt, will get GBS test

Questions for the group: None!

(Borrowed/Stolen)GTKY: What baby/parenting books have you started reading/do you find most helpful?

I read sooo many books about pregnancy but the Mayo Clinic one is the only one I go back to.

I've moved on to birth/infant care and I'm currently reading:
    Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
    Happiest Baby on the Block (I've been reading this slooooowly for what seems like forever. I actually ordered the companion DVD for H and I to watch this weekend)
    The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (just started!)

• Options

Week / Fruit: 33/durian (??)

Rants / Raves / Symptoms: Rant:  I'd been having some acid reflux for a few weeks, but it was never painful, just annoying. Now I have full-on heartburn, which freaking hurts. I've never experienced it before. Not fun. Rave: my midwife has confirmed that baby is officially head-down! I had figured as much, what with the constant kicks to the ribs, but I was happy to hear it from her. Symptoms: back/hip pain, hunger, swollen ankles, heartburn, all the fun stuff.

Upcoming Appointments: Next one is on the 12th

Questions for the group: none that I can think of

I read What To Expect, but did not really like it. Like PP said, I felt there was a lot of focus on what could go wrong. I'm currently reading The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy, which if nothing else is at least very funny. I'm also reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. That one I feel has really curbed my fears about labour (for now, anyway). It's pretty good.

Image result for green dog

Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP #1: 9/12/2015
    DD: 6/1/2016
    BFP #2: 1/16/2018 MC 2/2/2018
  • Options

Week / Fruit:  34 Weeks

Rave:  Really happy I have reached 34 weeks w/these boys and both weigh 5 lbs!  Seems like a pretty solid place to be if I should happen to go early.

Rants/Symptoms:  Pretty stiff, esp. when I have to get up at night.  I carry low anyway and now they're REALLY low - lots of trips to the bathroom!  I have plenty of random stuff I want to get done but I can't seem to focus. 

Upcoming Appointments:  My next appointment with my OB is Wed. and she'll be checking to see if I'm dilated, so I'm looking forward to hearing if anything is happening.  I have been having weekly NST's and sonograms and everything is looking good.  Baby A (head down and ready to go) has a LARGE noggin'!  97th percentile.  Not looking forward to pushing that out but at least it's not my first rodeo.  ??? 

Questions for the group:

GTKY: What baby/parenting books have you started reading/do you find most helpful? @bookelf221 - great book list!  I have mainly been reading books on twins during this pregnancy.  I have just checked them out from the library and honestly I can't even remember a lot of the names.  My favorite was a book about having twins that also talked a lot about juggling older siblings (which I have).  Right now I'm reading 'Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Twins'.  Hope it helps! 

I also checked out from the library a couple of DVD's made by National Geographic called 'In The Womb'.  They were really interesting - fun to see what your baby might look like inside you. 

@LadySamLady - I liked the Happiest Baby on The Block DVD back in the day (I bet it's the same one? - seemed old even 8 years ago). Anyway, DH really mastered some of the techniques!  I may need to check that out again for review (or maybe for my 8 & 5 year olds to help - lol).   

• Options
    @LadySamLady
    She is! She was mostly back to her normal self before I left for work and luckily the vet wasn't against me trying natural things when I called and was like "Yea, not doing this medicine". Today is one of the few days that I wish I had a nanny camera in my house so I could have it focused on her crate so I could check on her. 
  • Options
    @2.red.heads I'm sure the DVD is the same one - the version I have is dated in 2006. We're excited to watch it! I'm glad to hear you found it helpful.
  • Options

Week / Fruit:  33 weeks/pineapple

Rants / Raves / Symptoms:  I'm feeling like a whale but still managing to stay active.  My lungs are compressed and I can't get a full breath so I'm constantly huffing and puffing.   Also, I started getting headaches a few days ago and have been moody and emotional.  I was really enjoying this pregnancy up until a few days ago but I can tell things are going downhill fast!  

Upcoming Appointments:  My 34 week appointment is next Friday but I did receive a phone call about my ultrasound last week.  Everything was perfect and she's growing right on track.  The echogenic intracardiac focus (EIF) was gone from her heart so I was relieved!  

Questions for the group:  Anyone else attempting natural childbirth without any preparation?  I tried the Hypnobirthing book but can't see it working for me.  I'm hoping the nurses at the hospital will be able to support me since DH is pro-epidural.  

(Borrowed/Stolen)GTKY: What baby/parenting books have you started reading/do you find most helpful?  I read the No Cry Sleep Solution and Solve Your Child's Sleep problems when DS was a baby.  They both helped immensely!  
  • Options
    Week / Fruit: 33 weeks/ Pineapple

Rants / Raves / Symptoms: Feeling more pressure than before! I had morning sickness revisit this morning as well. But besides that this was the first day in weeks I've felt really good and didn't require a long afternoon nap!

Upcoming Appointments: I had my normal OB appt today, and an appt at the MFM. My Ob wants to induce me at 37 weeks because of the high blood pressure. Everything with the baby looked great today. He was awake for the NST and the ultrasound was good too. 37 weeks will be here before I know it. 

Questions for the group:

(Borrowed/Stolen)GTKY: What baby/parenting books have you started reading/do you find most helpful? I was reading all natural childbirth books but have put them away for now. It's been hard for me to come to terms with not having the birth I envisioned but I know most importantly the health of the baby and myself come first. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    @gemini2005
    I'm going into it with the idea that I'd like to try natural but if it doesn't work fine. But I've only read a few books because I feel like almost every single one was pressuring in one way or another- which is why I enjoyed The Birth That's Right for You because the authors actually are like "if you handle pain this way- try this, or this or this, or a combination of all of the above". We also aren't doing a childbirth class or watching anything about it. Which is kind of weird cuz normally I'm a planner. 
  • Options
    @bookelf221 That is my attitude exactly.  The book sounds perfect.  I think I will check it out- thanks!  
  • Options
    @bookelf221 That is my attitude exactly.  The book sounds perfect.  I think I will check it out- thanks!  
    You're welcome!!!!

• Options

@gemini2005 - Back in the day with my first I didn't do much preparation for natural childbirth.  I hoped to not get an epidural but I was open minded.  I read 'Birthing From Within' (but skipped the artsy parts).  I found it helpful but I'm mostly stubborn.  ;)  Once I decide something I go for it.  My hospital/nurses were very helpful so I appreciated that.  I was induced at 42 weeks.  It was a long induction.  I think they were very gentle/gradual with the Pitocin possibly since I was attempting a natural birth.  For baby #2 I can't take credit for 'going natural' - I was 10 cm when I got to the hospital! 

GL!

• Options
    *sigh* I finally gave in an got measured for a bra - I'm currently 38DD with the likelyhood of going up to an E once my milk comes in. I hope they go back down when I stop breastfeeding (if I even can)- I was a 36C-- which is only because of a chest reduction when I was 18. Though I will admit that I don't feel as big as I did then- maybe because of my rib cage and belly expanding too. Sorry if TMI I just needed to whine a bit.