January 2016 Moms
Options

Calling all ergo carrier owners

Before I shell out the money for an ergo 360 I wanted to ask those that have one if you find it makes your shoulders or back sore? I have a baby Bjorn but I get so sore if I use it very much. I'm a big carrier user so I want something that won't make me hurt. I've heard the ergo is supposed to shift baby's weight to your hips but I wonder if this is true?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Calling all ergo carrier owners

• Options
    I have original Ergo and love it! I wore DD for 6 hours while walking at our state fairgrounds for a trade show and I never got sore. My sister also has the Ergo and she still wears my niece who is 25lbs and a year old. She said her back doesn't get sore at all. I highly recommend it! It's great for being hands free! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have an original ergo and love it. It is specifically designed to not make you sore! I can totally wear my toddler and not have any problems. Love it, best purchase I ever made and it's on it's third baby! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks @Mommyduclos! That's what I needed to hear! My baby Bjorn is actually on baby #3 also and I hate to spend the money on our last baby but it makes me so sore I think it's worth it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I take my LO on 3-mile walks on most days (except the rainy ones) and use mine when we go shopping or anything.  I love it! No soreness from carrying her yet.
    Married March 19, 2011
    TTC off and on 04/14
    BFP 06/13/14 MC 06/15/14
    BFP 12/14/14
    1st Appt 01/13/2015
    M/C 1/19/15 D&C 1/20/15
    BFP 5/13/15
    1st Appt 06/10/2015 Peanut has HB 150
    A/S 09/02/15 It's a Girl!! Low placenta, but everything else great!

IAmPregnant Ticker

• Options
    Dang, mine definitely makes my back sore. I must be wearing it wrong! 
  • Options
    I have an original as well as a hand me down, it's on third baby too and it's still wonderful!! Carried my LO in it around Disneyland just fine last weekend. I think it definitely matters that you have it strapped correctly, I've had it on wonky and it made me sore a few adjustments and much better!!
  • Options
    I love mine. Use it all the time and if the strap in the back isn't centered my back gets sore. But when I adjust it to where it should be...no issues.
  • Options
    How do you guys get the straps all adjusted by yourselves? How do you get the top back strap fastened by yourself?
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    kaym6kaym6 member
    I have the original and love it! No soreness but I did before I actually took the time to have my husband adjust all the straps... I still can't get that thing on or off if I'm alone though! 
  • Options
    MommyduclosMommyduclos member
    edited March 2016
    It may seem scary at first but it is actually super easy and perfectly safe to put on yourself- practice without baby if you are uncomfortable, maybe put a doll or something in instead. But you put it around your waist, then put baby against your chest and pull up the carrier over baby and the straps over your shoulders, then reach up over your head and attach the strap on your back. Your arms are in the air, the straps are not going to fall off while you are securing the back straps. Just practice without baby first if you like and I'm sure you'll find it much easier than you are imagining. 
  • Options
    I have the Ergo 360 and I love it. It was making my back sore until I went and watched videos on how to wear it properly. Now it's good to go! The best part is that my husband and I can both use it as I'm 5'3" and he is 6'3"!
  • Options
    I love my ergo. I have the original. It is comfortable but I do feel like it makes my shoulders a little sore after a few hours. To fasten it by yourself male sure the you first loosen the left and right arm straps. That makes it easier to clip the back clip and then you can pull the left and right arm straps tight. If that doesn't make sense Google a video of how to put it on. I found that when I wasn't loosening the straps first I couldn't reach that back clip myself.
    Anyone who has had both prefer the 360 to the original? I'm considering getting one for the carry outward option but they're just so expensive.
  • Options
    grkgdss00grkgdss00 member
    edited March 2016
    Are you guys wearing the infant insert with it? I have an original carrier but my babys legs are spread way too far to wear it yet. I try it on every 2 weeks or so to see, but she just seems uncomfortable. She hates the dang insert though, I don't know why- she screeeaaaams in that thing. Sticking to our Solly wrap for now but I hope we can wear the ergo soon. ETA she's 13+ lb and 24"
  • Options
    claireloSCclaireloSC member
    edited March 2016
    Did you try legs out, not frogged up with the infant insert? We use the insert.
    ETA we do it this way:

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    @grkgdss00 yes, still using the insert. From what I understand you're supposed to use it until baby has total head control. My LO doesn't like it sometimes, but. I just keep trying. I notice she does better when she's super sleepy. 
  • Options
    Mine makes my back sore.  I adjusted the back strap which helped a little but I still get soreness.  I also use the insert. 
  • Options
    kaym6kaym6 member
    Does anyone else's baby HATE being put in the ergo? I've tried over and over again and no matter how I position him he pushes off his feet and stands up really forcefully. No position or amount of bouncing will calm him down. He's always happy when I start but always ends in screaming and thrashing and scratching. Today he stood up and hit his head on my chin while u I was tightening the straps and he screamed for 30 minutes... I just want to go on a walk ugh 
  • Options
    @kaym6 have you tried putting him in right after you feed him or is drowsy and ready for a nap? I find that that is the best time for me to get my LO in the Ergo. If he's wide awake already I have a 50/50 shot of him calming down or screaming bloody murder. I hope you find something hat works!
  • Options
    kaym6kaym6 member
    @cricket99 I have! I'll just have to keep trying maybe as I get better/more comfortable putting him in it he won't freak out as much! Lol for now he seems pretty content in my boba wrap so maybe he just isn't a fan or the ergo yet! Thanks for the tips :) I was very frustrated when I typed that yesterday  then I went back and thought about how insane it is I was so worked up over a baby carrier lol 
  • Options
    @kaym6 it can definitely be tricky to get them in the Ergo! I've finally gotten comfortable enough with it that I can usually get him in with little to no fuss, but it took a while and a lot of practice with DH on the weekends :)
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat @kaym6 .  Going to try @claireloSCsuggestion with the legs.  That might do the trick.
  • Options
    The legs frogged out worked best for us, I felt like legs in was frustrating LO.  Also, there's some awesome videos on the website that show you how to put it on yourselves.  The shoulder straps should be super loose so that you can reach the neck strap.  You have to let LOs weight pull the carrier forward so that the neck straps come high on your neck.  Then you tighten the shoulder straps once you get it snapped.  Watch the videos...super helpful
  • Options
    We do it legs out as well with the insert and make sure to unsnap it once he is securely in. 
  • Options
    Once she was strong enough to bare weight on her feet and kick and press against me I started doing legs out bc she would just kick the crap out of me just trying to put her in with her legs tucked and I feared it would start hurting her too. Legs out she loves it! And I second @tgrdance05 and say watch the videos. I put her in alone 90% of the time when SO is around he likes to help so I just let him, gives him security that she's in.