Trying to Get Pregnant

Confused

Hey ladies, I went and had my annual appointment with my Gyno today. When she did the exam she noticed that inside my vagina was dark in color. I am guessing she meant my cervix. She asked me if I was about to start my period. I told her "no," that I had it on the 18th. She was like okay, because it looked dark. At that moment, I didn't even think to ask her what that mean. Has anyone else experienced anything like this or heard anything like this?

Re: Confused

• I'm not familiar with this topic but from a quick search, I found the following:

"Usually the cervix is an even shade of pink, but in some women, you can see a darker almost red ringed area just outside the os (sometimes this ringed area may extend outward on the face of the cervix).  This is the “squamo-columnar junction”.  Where the column-shaped cells that line the cervical canal meet the flat cells that cover the cervix, it forms a circular line.

When a girl starts to menstruate, the cervix may be almost covered with the reddish “columnar” cells.  Each menstrual cycle, the growing columnar cells push forward and become flattened, forming squamous cells.  These flat cells are shaped like pancakes and are piled on top of each other to form the outer layer of the cervix.  The squamo-columnar junction has gradually receded to the point that it cannot be seen in most adult women’s cervixes."

The above reasoning is most likely why she was asking if you were starting your period soon. 

Me: 23 | DH: 27
    Married: 10.11.15
    MC #1: June 2014
    MC #2: December 2015
    APS Diagnosis: February 2016
    BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm going to have to agree that your best bet here is to just give your doctors office a call and ask. I tried Googling it for you and quickly concluded it's a great question for your doctor. 
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Haha thanks. Its weird. Because, I had my period already! 
  • :) I'm sure it's nothing to worry about - I was told that mine hides to the left....Uterus' are weird...

Me: 32 Him: 29 Live : London, UK
    TTC #1 since October 2015
    IVF Fresh Nov 16 = BFN
    IVF FET Jan 17 = BFP
    EDD: Oct 4th 2017
    TEAM: PINK!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I wouldn't be too worried. If it was something to be concerned about she would have discussed it further. Mine told me that my cervix was super high and hard to see, but said that it was fine. I asked if it was abnormal and she didn't seemed concerned. I agree that sometimes they don't consider the words they use or how they say things. That is also why they take samples, she will follow up if there are any concerns. :smile: 

10/2/10  <3
    Me:29 H: 31
    TTC#1: Aug 2015
    https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/5e3072

• babymish said:
    :) I'm sure it's nothing to worry about - I was told that mine hides to the left....Uterus' are weird...
    My uterus is "tilted" aka I get to hang my butt super far off of the edge of the table.
    OMG that's annoying.  I already feel like I am going to fall off and that my legs don't bend the right way for the stirrups lol.  I can't imagine having to scoot more! 
  • canavaracanavara member
    edited March 2016
    babymish said:
    :) I'm sure it's nothing to worry about - I was told that mine hides to the left....Uterus' are weird...
    My uterus is "tilted" aka I get to hang my butt super far off of the edge of the table.
    Haha I had a obgyn that made me do the same, I swear, she said this word-for-word: "I'm going to need you to scoot about 3 more inches and give me a nice juicy smile so I can see all the hard to see good parts." I found a new obgyn asap (like, was online same afternoon looking for a new one because omg) and she's never made me hang off the table or said anything so creepy to me.
  • canavara said:
    babymish said:
    Haha I had a obgyn that made me do the same, I swear, she said this word-for-word: "I'm going to need you to scoot about 3 more inches and give me a nice juicy smile so I can see all the hard to see good parts." I found a new obgyn asap (like, was online same afternoon looking for a new one because omg) and she's never made me hang off the table or said anything so creepy to me.
    @canavara Oh my gosh that would be terrifying. I wasn't asked to give a big juice smile but still not super comfortable. I had my pap and a saline ultrasound done recently and after I scoot down the first time, she makes me do it again because she can't see my cervix. Although since it was my first pap, I guess I "tensed up" a bit down there and she's like "you know how you just kind of grabbed the speculum, could you do that again?" Definitely a little embarrassing especially with DH in the room.
    Me: 23 | DH: 27
    Married: 10.11.15
    MC #1: June 2014
    MC #2: December 2015
    APS Diagnosis: February 2016
    BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878
  • newbie lurker here! just wanted to lend some support! I'm sure it's totally fine. I work for a doctor and he constantly says things without realizing that it's going to cause a ton of questions by the patient! I agree with the other ladies, uteruses are super weird! 

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• My OBGYN told me I had a "long dark cervix" I asked if that was normal and she said yes and that it was actually good?  So I'd say it's nothing to worry about ; ) 
    #1 EDD 01/10/19; Team Green!
    TTC #1 since 01/16; Unexplained IF; Low AMH; Conceived naturally
    Married 11/12; Dating 05/05
    Me: 36  DH: 37

• Yes! One time my GP, who has been giving me paps for about 8 years, told me while she was giving me one that my cervix was "short". I was like, is that normal? And she said for you it is. I literally thought about it the rest of the day. 
  • Can you believe nurse never called me back?