December 2015 Moms

Another congestion thread

DD is 3.5 months and has been stuffy since the day she was born.  She also occasionally coughs,  but the pediatrician has never been concerned. She is a generally a happy, alert baby who is chatty and loves to play and eats well. We run a humidifier and do the shower steam. But I'm still snot sucking her multiple times a day.  I'm paranoid that she has allergies or something more serious. Anyone else still dealing with a juicy baby? 

Re: Another congestion thread

• Yes, snot and congestion here. I'm not concerned it doesn't seem to affect her
  • Our girls are always congested. Pediatrician says it's just because their nasal passages are so tiny that we hear everything and it makes it sounds worse. I only suction them when it effects their eating. I was told to be careful about how often I suction their noses because too much would cause their nasal passages to swell (and make it worse). A lot of times, they end up sneezing the gunk out before I really have to do anything.
  • Loading the player...
  • Same with my LO
  • DD always sounds a little congested but as long as I can't see snot in her nose I chalk it up to her inheriting my deviated septum. 
  • Same here. Pretty much since she was 3 weeks old. Agree not to snot suck too much. Boogie mist is legit too. It's a spray can instead of drops. 
  • Thanks,  all! Glad to know I'm not the only one.  I was worried about allergies because of the dogs.
  • Lurker here! Glad you posted this!  My son has had this issue since about 3 wks old,now 13 wks. I keep getting told its small nasal cavities but these last couple days it seems to have gotten worse....been debating on taking him back in but he's still happy, eating fine and sleeping fine. I just feel terrible for him. I atleast feel better knowing other moms are going through the same thing. 
  • Dakota has been battling congestion, coughing and runny nose on and off for what seem like her whole life. I've taken her to the pediatrition several times and they just keep telling me it's a virus and it has to run its course. She will clear up for a few days and then it's right back. I've been using the bulb syringe and the nose Frida with the saline drops and at night she sleeps with a humidifier. But it's very annoying that I don't really get answers on how to make it go away and stay away. 
  • Same here! We also do saline drops and something that's called "Engelwurzbalsam".
    I looked up the ingredients for you guys in English:

Lanolin, Olea europaea oil, Cera alba, Hypericum perforatum extract, Angelica archangelica root oil, Origanum majorana herb oil, Thymus vulgaris oil

You put it on the nose and it helps baby breath.

Still it only helps for a few hours, but it's good if LO has problems drinking.

• Our babe has always been "snotty" as well, with no real signs of illness.  It has gotten a little worse when I've gotten a cold, but she hasn't come down with a big virus yet (at 17 weeks). 

We've found using the larger diameter hospital bulb works better as a "snot sucker" than the smaller baby types, but you do need to be more cautious about accidentally sucking their little nose :# I let my husband do it- he has better aim!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker