C-sections
Options

Dealing with a toddler and newborn after csection

I'm currently due in May and will have a 4 year old by then. I'm a little nervous about healing, breastfeeding and caring for both kids right after having a csection. I'd love to hear about everyone's experience especially the first few weeks. 

BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                    Anniversary

Re: Dealing with a toddler and newborn after csection

• Options
    I had a two-year-old when I had my newborn by C-section. This time I will have a four-year-old. It was my experience that having help for the first two weeks is important. My husband stayed home for a week and a half and then my mom checked in sporadically for the rest of that week to pick up groceries or just entertain my other child for a while. After that I was able to find ways to make it work. Just go slow and don't overdo it. I made a point of teaching my two-year-old how to climb into his car seat with a small step stool on the floor of the car before I had my second so I wouldn't have to lift him into the car. I also put him in a big kid bed so that he could get in and out of for naps instead of having to lift him into the crib. Just try to think ahead about any situations that might have you lifting or bending and find ways to modify around those ahead of time.

Now with a four-year-old I'm not really worried about it because I very rarely have to Lift him. I think you will be fine and you'll probably find that he's a nice little helper to grab the diapers or whatever you need. Don't feel bad if you need to use the TV or electronics for a little while to entertain your older child until you are up for moving around more. It's a short period of time and you'll be back ready to do more soon.
  • Options
    Awesome thank-you!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My oldest was 21 months when my 2nd was born, so we did a lot of preparing her that mommy couldn't lift her, daddy would put her to bed, etc. I also got lots of new books so we could snuggle on the couch and read vs other activities. 

If if you can have help at least the first 2 weeks, I'd highly recommend it!  Hopefully, your 4 year old can be a big help!  Best wishes for a safe delivery!!
    After 22 months TTC and the loss of our identical twins at 10w6d, we're excited about our rainbow baby!
    Stick, baby, Stick!
    Beta #1 (12dpo): 38.3; Beta #2 (15dpo): 202.7
    Baby Girl born 1/17/13
  • Options
    Exactly my situation. My kids are almost exactly 4 years apart. I agree having help the first 2 weeks is key. My husband took 5 weeks off and that was absolutely perfect. Having the 4 years difference helps too because my 4 year old could dress himself so he needed less help then he would if he were 2. You are gonna do great Mama! All the best!
  • Options
    happylady5happylady5 member
    edited April 2016
    I'm 9 days post csection #2 and have a 3 yr old (wild and crazy boy). It's definitely a struggle, but help is so important. Your hubby, friends, family.....whoever you can use for the first 2-3 weeks. (I've got help set up for 3 weeks because that was the point I felt OK alone last time). It's hard, but doable. :) I ditto planning ahead: teach toddler how to get in car seat solo, explain you'll have a "boo boo" and can't pick him up - but can still hold and cuddle, switch bed if needed to one they can get in and out of, and get some freezer meals cooked to help you out in the beginning!!  
    "Sweat is my sanity". Sarah Palin "Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised". Proverbs 31:30 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker