January 2016 Moms

The Baby Sleep Solution- Suzy Giordano

Is anyone else using this book to attempt sleep training? Would love to ask some questions and discuss!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: The Baby Sleep Solution- Suzy Giordano

• It's been recommended to us, but we haven't tried it yet.  I need something to give us a way to get LO to fall asleep without being rocked or nursed.  I'm interested to hear some opinions on this book.
  • Yes! This book was highly recommended by a friend. We started a bedtime routine for our LO around 4 weeks and really started following the book around 8 weeks. We have always put her in the crib drowsy but awake. We had a setback around 2 months bc she wasn't gaining enough weight so we had to wake her to feed. Between 8-12 weeks she slept through the night a handful of times. She was 12 weeks Friday and has slept from 7:45pm -7:45 give or take a few minutes for the past two nights. As for naps she usually goes down around 10 for an hour or so and again at 2 for about 2 hours. I think if nothing else the book has been a great resource for establishing a routine. 

Sorry for the short novel :smile: 
  • Loading the player...
  • @lovedogs2015 I've heard it's difficult to follow all of the advice if you're breastfeeding, would you agree?
  • @lovedogs2015 I haven't used this method but one from "healthy sleep habits, happy baby". It seems to be a similar approach. But my LO is 10 weeks old today and he'll sleep from 8:00pm to 10:00 and we are starting to lessen that feeding half an oz a week, then from 10:30-7:00. Just curious how you sorted out the afternoon nap? He always wants to eat at 3:00 then by 5:30 he wants to take an hour - hour and a half nap. When did yours start taking the shorter naps/less frequent? Any tips would be appreciated. 
  • I am breastfeeding and supplementing as needed because my supply is not enough to meet her needs. That being said I spent a day pumping to try to figure out how much she is getting from me so now I can nurse and give a bottle for the approximate difference. I know the book encourages bottles for more precise measurements but I enjoy nursing and am not willing to give it up. I have found that this works great for us and I just allow a little more time for our nighttime feed. While she suggests starting at 7:45 for an 8pm bedtime I start around 7/7:15. I think the book is a great resource but you have to do what works best for you and your LO. Hope that's helpful!
  • We started having a consistent nap schedule around 10 weeks. Before then she would usually take about 3 naps a day and the 3rd was usually a 20 minute catnap between 5-6. Once we were able to go the 4 hours between feeds because she was consuming more at each feeding I found her naps to be a lot more consistent and predictable. The long afternoon nap took some time and initially she would sleep for an hour or two and if she woke up I would give her a few minutes and try to encourage her to go back to sleep. As a last ditch effort I would let her sleep on me periodically just to get her used to being asleep for that 2 hour stretch. Since then she has become used to the routine and sleeps the full nap in her crib. If I remember correctly the book said daytime nap routines are established after sleeping through the night which it sounds like you are approaching now so that should follow. 
  • @lovedogs2015 great! Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully we will be making that adjustment sooner than later. :)
  • claireloSCclaireloSC member
    edited March 2016
    @willashbaby is following the routine and might have some tips. I plan to implement it and I've gotten useful tips from the book, but I haven't done the full plan yet. LO is only 6 weeks and had been sick, then we were traveling. That being said she has actually been sleeping 6 or 7 hours at night so we've pretty much eliminated the nighttime feedings. We'll work on getting up to 12 hours in time. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Today is day one for me trying with my twins- which will present its own set of obstacles I am sure. I go back to work in two weeks and I am very hopeful that if I put in two long weeks, it will pay off by the time I head back. 

• Checking in on day 5 of this regimen. My twins were going to bed at 11, and waking at 2 and 5 before starting this. They have gone to bed by 8 the past two nights and woken once at 3 AM. I am in awe of the immediate improvement and feel like I was doing them an injustice keeping them up before. 

However, I am a little nervous as they haven't made up the lost ounces yet from their overnight feeds. I am getting them to eat 25-28 ounces a day (and working hard for those ounces), where they were eating 29-32 before. So I am apprehensive to eliminate the 3 AM feed (even though it's only 3-4 ounces). 

I am going to trust the process and go with it, hoping they start taking more at each feed!

• Becky012016Becky012016 member
    edited April 2016
    Checking in on day 5 of this regimen. My twins were going to bed at 11, and waking at 2 and 5 before starting this. They have gone to bed by 8 the past two nights and woken once at 3 AM. I am in awe of the immediate improvement and feel like I was doing them an injustice keeping them up before. 

However, I am a little nervous as they haven't made up the lost ounces yet from their overnight feeds. I am getting them to eat 25-28 ounces a day (and working hard for those ounces), where they were eating 29-32 before. So I am apprehensive to eliminate the 3 AM feed (even though it's only 3-4 ounces). 

I am going to trust the process and go with it, hoping they start taking more at each feed!
    I've wondered about the missed ounces when LO decided to cut out a motn feed too. However, he increased his daytime food intake by a whole ounce yesterday and that's making up the missed feeding. He "demanded" this on his own within a day or two of missing that feed so hopefully your twins end up doing the same!  

Eta: we do 4 6oz bottles during the day and 1 3oz at night. 
  • Just wondering, if you're EBF is it okay for your supply to only feed four times a day? I feel like this routine might help us because my daughter likes to snack all day and night, but don't want to damage my supply. 
  • @CMDirks she gives outlines for how to tackle this method while breastfeeding, but I believe overall recommends pumping. I EP so I can't attest to it personally but others may be able to.