July 2016 Moms

UO Thursday

13»

Re: UO Thursday

• elldel said:
    UO: I'm collecting colostrum for my newborn starting a few days ago. It seems to be a super unpopular thing to do around TB, but my midwife, doula, and lactation consultant all support it and it's actually been a big relief for the boobs and very much a confidence-builder for DH and I. He's a crazy supportive breastfeeding partner! Should anything go wrong and supplementing be recommended, we won't have to use formula. And yes I've read the controversial and inconclusive evidence about antenatal expressing inducing early labor, but the medical professionals I'm working with and I feel confident that it won't be an issue and I can safely continue. Also I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a crazy breastfeeding advocate- fair warning!
    Related(ish) question: when is the "normal" time to start producing colostrum? As of 23+2, I don't think my breasts have produced anything yet. 
    @elldel - totally normal. I never produced a drop of colostrum before delivering DD. I did have some supply issues for the first week BUT I believe this was because of my c-section and being separated from DD for 17 hours. After the first week of supplementing with a bit of formula I was able to get my supply up and exclusively breastfeed. I have friends and family members who also didn't produce colostrum early and had zero issues with breastfeeding.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm glad to hear so many other ladies feel the same way as I do about family notification of birth. 

@PhoebeJune1984 I can't believe your family just showed up despite you specifically telling them not to come. I hope your experience is much different this time!
  • It seems that my UO is that I'll be informing my family as soon as I go into labor. I want my mom and sister (and my husband, obviously) in the room with me and I know that my father and brothers will want to be waiting at the hospital. I'm a FTM, so maybe I'll change my tune after this baby is born, but for now I'm all about the communal waiting for baby. I also have no qualms about telling them all to get out when the husband and I just want alone time with baby. 

I get why people want to keep that time to themselves and avoid telling people until later, but I'm just in a different mindset for the time
    being. 
  • It seems that my UO is that I'll be informing my family as soon as I go into labor. I want my mom and sister (and my husband, obviously) in the room with me and I know that my father and brothers will want to be waiting at the hospital. I'm a FTM, so maybe I'll change my tune after this baby is born, but for now I'm all about the communal waiting for baby. I also have no qualms about telling them all to get out when the husband and I just want alone time with baby. 

I get why people want to keep that time to themselves and avoid telling people until later, but I'm just in a different mindset for the time
    being. 
    @DominiqueU this is fine too! My opinion on this subject is that however and whenever you choose to tell your family is acceptable - but I do strongly believe that the partner who is labouring/delivering the baby trumps the supporting partner's wishes. We kept family up to date the first time, and I'd probably do it again if DD's birth had gone differently. It just felt wrong that all of our family saw pictures of her before I'd even gotten to see her face in person. And MIL announcing it on Facebook (stats, name, etc.) while I sat in a room missing my baby just amplified it all. This time I need to have my time with LO before sharing him/her with the world, or even with our parents. But my bro/SIL have always kept us all in the loop for their boys' births, and I loved the excitement of sharing that with them.

I also think it totally depends on your (general you) family - if they'll respect your wishes it should be fine to involve them early. If they're the type to put their wants above your needs, I'd advise waiting to tell.