September 2015 Moms

When short naps don't get you to the end of the day

Lucy's third nap will be over by 415 and she can't survive the three + hours til her usual 730 bedtime. How much earlier have you put your baby to bed than they usually go down? Anyone done it by one full hour? It means she'd eat much closer together too. I hate cat naps. 

Re: When short naps don't get you to the end of the day

• I keep them up but him in a carrier or have quiet time reading or cuddling to get him to bedtime. 
  • Same as PP, the only way I can stretch it is to put her in the carrier... Cat naps are the bane of my existence. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We never put baby to bed earlier ... sometimes he's awake for 4-4.5 hours before bed depending on when he last woke up (his wake time is 3 hours now and we don't let him nap past 6 p.m. at night). He goes to bed at 8:15.

It doesn't seem to bother him now, but when he used to get crabby in evenings, we would pass the time by giving him an extra long bath (he loves bath time!) or letting him play on the floor in just his diaper (he loves his no clothes time). That always did the trick for us :)

If we put him to bed earlier, he just wakes up earlier, which we don't want :)
  • I try to entertain my daughter and keep her awake until bedtime. But if she's too tired and constantly yawning and rubbing her eyes at a time too close to bedtime, I've learned to let her take the nap and just keep her up past her bedtime.

When she starts yawning and/or rubbing her eyes again, I proceed with bedtime routine as usual. Less baby free time for me in the evening but it has worked out well otherwise. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• missliz53missliz53 member
    edited March 2016
    We have a cat nap on mommy or daddy from 7-7:30, then bedtime routine, last feeding is at 8 pm and she sleeps until 4-6 am, eats and goes back down until 8-8:30 when I get her up because otherwise her feeding schedule will be messed up. I don't think she would take her full bottle if I tried to give it to her at 7 instead of 8. 

I think the trade off though is that she's a crummy napper during the day.
  • I don't but tbh my LO makes it much longer stretches and is generally okay. He did the cat naps today (or as I like to call them.. Crap naps) he woke up from his 2nd nap at about 2:30 and his bedtime isn't until 7:30 so he went 5 hours today before bed. He gets clingy and refuses to be put down but we just deal.. Unless he shows signs of getting overtired (rubbing his eyes a lot, crying without an obvious reason) in which case I will have him in bed 30 minutes early. He's just dropped the 3rd nap about 2 weeks ago so that was a new adjustment. Most of the time his last nap is over closer to 4 or 4:30.
  • I can put him down a full hour early without it interrupting his normal night time sleep. My baby needs a lot of sleep and doesn't seemed bothered by this at all. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker