June 2016 Moms
Options

Measuring ahead. Early baby?

My OB measured my belly at 31, so the size of someone at 31 weeks, however, I am 27 weeks an 3 days. Anyone else experience this previously? Was your baby early, or around the same time? Anyone going through this now?

Re: Measuring ahead. Early baby?

• Options
    If you are talking about them measuring the fundal height, many doctors don't even measure this any more because it doesn't actually match progress of pregnancy very well. 
  • Options
    Fundal height can change when baby is in different positions. So no, it doesn't necessarily mean your baby will come early. 
    I measured ahead at every appointment during my second pregnancy. My son came at 39+3 and was 9lbs 2oz.

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, doesn't mean baby will be early if you are talking about your OB physically measuring your belly.  Think about it...they use the same measurement scale for short women, tall women, short torso, long torso, no ab muscles, tons of ab muscles.  In short, it isn't really a great predictor of anything but it does give you a baseline that is helpful for your next measurement...for example, I measure 1-2 weeks ahead because I'm short but I usually grow the "correct" amount of centimeters in the same amount of weeks that pass (2 centimeters in 2 weeks, etc.).
  • Options
    goldie987goldie987 member
    edited March 2016
    My doctor doesn't even do fundal height anymore because it isn't reliable in finding babies that are too big or too small for their age.  All it really does is give a concrete number to reassure mothers-to-be that things are progressing.  I believe most fundal height measurements are +/- 2 cm/weeks so with that in mind, you're pretty close to expected.  

Could you go early?  Sure, but I wouldn't get my hopes up that I would deliver a little early just because of a fundal height measurement.  
  • Options
    I consistently measured ahead during my first pregnancy. Baby was 12 days late. (Yes, twelve.) I measured six weeks ahead at my last appointment and my OB literally shrugged and said it didn't really mean anything. He's the first to admit that estimating fetus size is, at best, a very soft science. 
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My ds measured "big" at my 20 AS (1 week ahead of "due date") and my fundal height measurement was always 2+weeks ahead. He was born "late" after I finally went into labor at 42 weeks weighing 9lbs 4oz. 
  • Options
    DS always measured big. My on always reminded me that a large baby didn't mean a mature baby. You still want that baby to cook as long as possible.
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My LO is currently measuring a little over a week ahead but my OB has kept my due date on the original schedule. Babies come in all different sizes so the measurements seem to be more of a rough estimate. It is my understanding that the dating ultrasounds that they do in first couple of weeks are the most accurate for EDD.
  • Options
    My first measured ahead most of the time, but he was a week late. 
    My current midwife doesn't even bother telling me the exact measurement, just if its "measuring on track"
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I can make my fundal height read anywhere from 2 weeks behind to 2 weeks ahead depending on how flat I'm laying, positioning of the baby, etc.  Most drs don't use it anymore because it's supposed to just measure your uterus size, but doesn't take into account any extra body fat.  It's such an inaccurate measurement and definitely doesn't tell you anything about how big baby is or when it'll be due
  • Options

Like other have said, my first measured ahead the last month of my pregnancy and I had to be induced at 40 weeks.  He was 7 ibs 13 oz.

• Options
    At my last appt, I was 25 weeks and measured at 29. I went in today at 29 weeks and measured at 31. So, he's slowing down a bit! My MW said that its normal for some babies to have a growth spurt in the womb, and also that yes, a larger measure could mean you go into labor early. We're still kinda too far out to worry though. 
  • Options
    Near the end of my first pregnancy I was measuring like 6 weeks ahead, I ended up having him at 38 weeks because of high BP. He weighed 10 lbs 13 oz. I don't ask what I'm measuring this time, no sense in worrying about it now I guess. 
  • Options
    I had an appointment last week and was measuring one week ahead at 28 weeks and at my appointment today I measured four weeks ahead at 32 weeks so I don't think it's extremely accurate. 
  • Options
    My first and third I always measured right on and they were born a few minutes after their due dates. My second was measuring a week ahead and was born a week early. This one is measuring a week early however I know that baby will just come whenever he is ready. My last baby was 9 lbs 2oz so I'm just hoping this won't doesn't go over
  • Options
    With my first, I measured right on time every time but was induced due to low amniotic fluid and high BP. This pregnancy, Ive consistently measured 2 weeks ahead. Just went to my OB appt. at 31 weeks and now measuring 3 weeks ahead. My OB thinks my due date maybe off (I was on BC when I got pregnant and didn't know when I had my last period). I have to go back in a week to get an US to get a better opinion if my due date is off.