December 2016 Moms
Options

HCG levels

so on Monday I took two home pregnancy test and they both came back positive. Since I do not know when my last period was (I just had a baby in November, in December my doctor recommended the mini pill because I didn't want a full blown birth control; long story short I took the mini pill for 4-5 week and I bled the entire time. So I stopped taking it somewhere at the beginning of February) the nurse said to do a blood test. So I went in Monday to do a blood test which came back with hcg levels around 200. She said to come back in 48 hours to retest. Well I went back yesterday and my hcg level tripled to in be 600s. I have two kids and I never had to go for blood test to check and recheck hcg levels. Any advice?

Re: HCG levels

• Options
    Hi, welcome. They usually draw blood to test hcg (also called betas) as a way to monitor the pregnancy progression early on (when an u/s is not feasible). Some of us get it done due to high risk pregnancies/recurrent pregnancy losses/previous ectopic etc. I am guess you are getting it because the doctor doesn't know how far along you are and wants to make sure the pregnancy is progressing normally. 

You can google hcg calculator and plug in your numbers to get some information. There is a nice table with ranges that will give you an idea of how far along you are based on the numbers. But the important thing is this they roughly double within 48 hrs, since the numbers can vary significantly from woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy. 
    ******TW******Siggy warning
    BFP1 04/24/2015 EDD Dec 2015 MMC 10W5d;
    BFP 2 09/25/2015 EDD June 2016 MMC 9wks; 
    BFP 3 03/22/2016 EDD Dec 6th 2016 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    juliehollz13juliehollz13 member
    edited April 2016
    It just means that the pregnancy is currently progressing normally.

Edited to add: a coworkers daughter had quadrupling HCG levels and were in the 5000's at 4w3d, they were sure she was having twins but the ultrasound showed 1 baby. So just because you have super high HCG or they more than double doesn't necessarily mean its twins. 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes