May 2016 Moms

Pneumonia?!

Ladies, I need some help! I'm kind of freaking out and I need to know if I'm just overreacting. 

The situation is this: we just moved into our new place less than a month ago, then the washer broke. The landlords are now fixing it themselves. Cool, great, totally appreciated. Well they were supposed to come last weekend when the wife texts "Hey, sorry we'll be late today. "Husband"'s in the ER with pneumonia, but we'll be by after that." Um....excuse me? You most certainly will not. I let her know how uncomfortable it made me knowing that he has pneumonia and would be in the house with me pregnant (which she has known the whole time, mind you). After she seemed a little put off by me nicely explaining the situation, she agreed to drop the parts off and my hubby could then fix it. No problem. I thought we had moved on.

Apparently not as I get a text today saying they'll be by Saturday to do the work and that I don't need to be here. Again that's great however pneumonia can be transmitted through the air. Why would I want you in the house with me in it or not? They seem adamant on fixing the silly washer themselves and I just don't think it's worth the risk to the baby or me. Plus I don't have time to be sick! 

So looong story short, am I being ridiculous? Is this something I'm just blowing out of proportion? I can't see how he could be 100% not contagious in less than a week....and even then I'm skeptical. What would you ladies do?

Re: Pneumonia?!

• I am by no means a doctor but if he is taking antibiotics, he may no longer be contagious. I see your point though. I would clarify with them if he is taking medication; and if not, I wouldn't let them in the house either. The rough part is that since they are your landlords, most states require just a 24 hour notice before entering the home. 
  • edited March 2016
    Not all types of pneumonia are contagious, but I can certainly understand your concern.. I was hospitalized for 2 weeks last year from aspiration pneumonia, and it was absolutely terrible.    If you are nervous or uncomfortable about it then I would just kindly explain that to them.   Maybe even let them know you know you are being overly cautious, but you would still rather be safe than sorry.   
    Dont feel ridiculous though.  Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable in that situation either 
  • Loading the player...
  • I work directly with patients with pneumonia all the time. We are not required to wear any kind of personal protective equipment with these types of patients so I am assuming you will be ok....

• I would think it would be fine.  Maybe ask him to wear a mask? Or put off the work another week? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• mrstmoose said:
    I am by no means a doctor but if he is taking antibiotics, he may no longer be contagious. I see your point though. I would clarify with them if he is taking medication; and if not, I wouldn't let them in the house either. The rough part is that since they are your landlords, most states require just a 24 hour notice before entering the home

QBF....

the ljkelihood of him still being contagious is slim. I would clean your surfaces and use Lysol spray for the air if you really want to be safe.

Just so you know, just because you're taking antibiotics doesn't make you no longer contagious...it just means that the drugs are fighting the infection. 
  • Ask if he can wear a mask if you are that worried and just sanitize anything he touches. My husband had pneumonia and gave it to me when I was 5 weeks along. You are far enough along that even if you did catch it you could be treated. 
  • Thanks ladies for giving me at least a little sigh of relief. It's been a long day and I really didn't want this to be something to stress about. I don't think of myself as the "overly cautious" type, but it really has amazed me how little people care what they have and could potentially spread around a pregnant woman. They're almost offended by the fact that you don't want to be around them and are calling them out for being possibly contagious.

I'll try to reiterate my discomfort of the situation and go from there. I was also showing possible signs of preeclampsia earlier this week so that had me on edge and not wanting to expose myself to ANYTHING that could make matters worse. I guess if they still refuse to reschedule, Lysol it is. :smile: 

• BCFiggins said:
    Thanks ladies for giving me at least a little sigh of relief. It's been a long day and I really didn't want this to be something to stress about. I don't think of myself as the "overly cautious" type, but it really has amazed me how little people care what they have and could potentially spread around a pregnant woman. They're almost offended by the fact that you don't want to be around them and are calling them out for being possibly contagious.

I'll try to reiterate my discomfort of the situation and go from there. I was also showing possible signs of preeclampsia earlier this week so that had me on edge and not wanting to expose myself to ANYTHING that could make matters worse. I guess if they still refuse to reschedule, Lysol it is. :smile: 

If it makes you feel any better I had a patient in my office the other day sitting no more than 3-4 feet away who started coughing and coughing. I asked her if she was sick...she says, yeah I have a cold. I was like WTF woman you can see I'm pregnant put a god dam mask on! Needless to say I said, sorry but you're going to have to wear a mask for the rest of the consult now! People can definitely be stupid and inconsiderate! 
  • Agreed @ayeshaohara people can be stupid and inconsiderate.
  • I would be more concerned about the part where they think they can fix the washer themselves?!