January 2016 Moms

LO still having belly issues

Anyones little ones still have tummy troubles. In the beginning I was both breast and formula feeding but once I started seeing my supply drop a little I got very upset and decided to EBF. DD is 2 months old today and ever since bringing her home she goes days between poops. I can tell she's in pain because she will scrunch her legs up and scream and sometimes she'll scream before letting out a fart. Her farts stink terribly and I just feel so bad I can't do anything for her. I talked to her doctor and she said she's not concerned but I feel like it's an issue. She finally had a little bit of poop today after not going since Saturday. But I've seen what comes out of her when she doesn't go for days and she didn't let out nearly enough. So did anyone else have issues with LO pooping and what did you do to help them?

Re: LO still having belly issues

• My LO doesn't poop everyday but my MW said it's normal for EBF babies since there is very little waste. If DD hits 3 days without a poop I help her a bit because that's usually when she gets uncomfortable. I start with a tummy rub (starting at the right hip and moving clockwise), a warm bath and a back rub. That usually eases the discomfort though she doesn't always poop right away. 
    Apparently for EBF babies not pooping for 7-10 days is normal. Anything past 10 days is concerning. And even when it's been days, there isn't a lot of poop because their bodies use almost all of it. They're very efficient. 
  • We haven't had this happen yet, but the pediatrician did say that his body would get more efficient at digesting the breast milk, meaning less waste and fewer poop diapers. He said not to worry if there were several days between them. That said, if my LO seemed to be in a lot of pain/discomfort, I would be concerned too! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds exactly like my daughter. She has a dairy allergy. Try toying with your diet. You won't see a big difference for a 5 days or so but start there. It also helps my daughter if i lay her belly down across my lap or arm and rub or pat her back
  • Thanks very much ladies! It's so concerning when she's screaming in pain cuz it makes me wanna cry! Lol  I usually do rub her belly or move her legs like the bicycle way and all that. I've tried the vaseline on the thermometer trick and it worked the first time and that was it. I guess maybe when she used to have seriously big poops it could've been when she was still getting formula or at least coming off of it. Hopfully her poor tummy gets better soon! Lol
  • My LO (11 weeks) is on a hypoallergenic formula and still has tummy troubles. She poops daily (finally) but still goes through frequent bouts of awful screaming. She's obviously in pain, and it seems to be from gas, but she arches her back and kicks so hard you can barely hold her. She refuses her bottle and her paci. We use mylicon drops and have increased her Zantac dose, both which seem to help, but are not the cure-all. Otherwise, it seems to be just a waiting game to see when it will get better. The pediatrician doesn't seem concerned. 
  • @BarrettJ89, have you read "The Happiest Baby on the Block?"  It's a book all about how to comfort a severely colicky baby. If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out. A lot of his tips seem pretty straightforward and common sense, but it has amazing reviews on Amazon. It's worth a shot!
  • DS went through this.  It started around week 4 when I was supplementing formula and breast milk.  I went strictly to formula and after a few changes, the Pedi. recommended Nutramigen by Enfamil.  It's a partly broken down formula so LO's can digest it easier than other formulas.  Similac makes one called Allimentum.  Consult your pediatrician if you think your LO might need to make a switch to something like that.  It's about 10-12$ more a can, but some insurances will cover it, if it ends up being something you need.

We are currently in the process of trying to get DS off of the Nutramigen.  We think it's now to simple and broken down for him.  His bowel movements the last 3 weeks have been basically water. :neutral: He will be 4 months on the 16th of April, so we are hoping his little belly has matured enough so that we can get him on a more regularly used formula such as Gentlease.  
  • My LO (11 weeks) is on a hypoallergenic formula and still has tummy troubles. She poops daily (finally) but still goes through frequent bouts of awful screaming. She's obviously in pain, and it seems to be from gas, but she arches her back and kicks so hard you can barely hold her. She refuses her bottle and her paci. We use mylicon drops and have increased her Zantac dose, both which seem to help, but are not the cure-all. Otherwise, it seems to be just a waiting game to see when it will get better. The pediatrician doesn't seem concerned. 
    She has times like that too. Where nothing seems to work. I was using gas drops for a while and my doctor actually told me that can stop working after a while and make them more constipated. I mean she's had less gas since I've switched to EBF her but she still seems to be in pain from her constipation. I just wish it would go away already and she could feel better. Good luck to everyone in healing the dreaded tummy problems!