July 2016 Moms

UO Thursday

Re: UO Thursday

• KASGKASG member
    About FMLA. The closest thing to balancing that out that some districts have (and this may just be for teachers) is a sick leave bank. So you donate like 2 days a year and then if you're out of sick days, you can use some from the bank. Idk the limit though. And I'm told FMLA is 60 consecutive days and I'm definitely the type to take 59 and then just request leave un-consecutively as I want.
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• Loading the player...
  • edited March 2016
    KASG said:
    About FMLA. The closest thing to balancing that out that some districts have (and this may just be for teachers) is a sick leave bank. So you donate like 2 days a year and then if you're out of sick days, you can use some from the bank. Idk the limit though. And I'm told FMLA is 60 consecutive days and I'm definitely the type to take 59 and then just request leave un-consecutively as I want.
    Just because I had to start the paper work for FMLA yesterday, if I use it and STD, I know in NH it's 12 weeks for FMLA, STD is 6 weeks for me and doesn't go into affect till I give birth vaginally, they didn't even give me info if I have a c-section which I'm assuming would just be the designated 8. I also only have 15 days to apply for FMLA to see if I get approved for it from yesterday when I started correspondence. I can only use FMLA if my doctor feels I need to and signs off on it. If I wanted to take time before my due date or when I give birth I have to use PTO. Not just take FMLA because I want to. 
  • @kdm06c People just don't think anymore. 
  • It bothers me that peops feel the need to explain why they've edited their posts here as if it is shameful cause umm couldn't care less and yeah go for that edit... Am I missing something people?
  • ktomorrow said:
    It bothers me that peops feel the need to explain why they've edited their posts here as if it is shameful cause umm couldn't care less and yeah go for that edit... Am I missing something people?
    I too am curious about this! Just never thought to ask. Or even who to ask for that matter. 
  • Well good thing my body liked the glucola I have to go back for round two Monday.... 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• haha, I sorta wonder the same thing... I think it's meant more to be if you go back and edit your initial response or the meaning of the post or too add to it... If I catch a typo in my post, I'll change it and usually don't say I've edited because no one needs to know that I can't type for shit

• Yeah, I edit mine after I catch a proof reading mistake. 
  • BostonBaby1BostonBaby1 member
    edited March 2016
     I also typically after a typo. I use Siri dictation a lot which is notoriously unreliable.  Another reason for editing would be clarity. If you reread and figure out that what you initially wrote is confusing, it often helps to elaborate.

The reason that people do this on posts here is because the dirty delete is highly frowned upon. This is also why we have the quote function.

So basically, I always write what I have edited force that people don't think that I wrote something awful to someone and then changed it.  Sadly, I have seen that happen more times than I can count. 

***I am leaving the typos to show why I would edit. English isn't THAT hard, but dictation screws it up.
  • UO: I'm collecting colostrum for my newborn starting a few days ago. It seems to be a super unpopular thing to do around TB, but my midwife, doula, and lactation consultant all support it and it's actually been a big relief for the boobs and very much a confidence-builder for DH and I. He's a crazy supportive breastfeeding partner! Should anything go wrong and supplementing be recommended, we won't have to use formula. And yes I've read the controversial and inconclusive evidence about antenatal expressing inducing early labor, but the medical professionals I'm working with and I feel confident that it won't be an issue and I can safely continue. Also I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a crazy breastfeeding advocate- fair warning!
    Related(ish) question: when is the "normal" time to start producing colostrum? As of 23+2, I don't think my breasts have produced anything yet. 

• elldel said:
    UO: I'm collecting colostrum for my newborn starting a few days ago. It seems to be a super unpopular thing to do around TB, but my midwife, doula, and lactation consultant all support it and it's actually been a big relief for the boobs and very much a confidence-builder for DH and I. He's a crazy supportive breastfeeding partner! Should anything go wrong and supplementing be recommended, we won't have to use formula. And yes I've read the controversial and inconclusive evidence about antenatal expressing inducing early labor, but the medical professionals I'm working with and I feel confident that it won't be an issue and I can safely continue. Also I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a crazy breastfeeding advocate- fair warning!
    Related(ish) question: when is the "normal" time to start producing colostrum? As of 23+2, I don't think my breasts have produced anything yet. 
    I don't know what the normal time is but IF i'm in the bath or shower and put too much pressure or squeeze my nipples (don't ask why I'd do that okay?) a very small amount will come out. But it's not like it's leaking into my bra or anything. I don't know if it'd even be enough to pump.
  • Haha! @jlgriff11 -- I am constantly squeezing on my boobs trying to see if anything will come out, so I get it!
  • It only happens if I'm literally in a hot, wet environment.
  • I am moving next week and totally asked my brother and his roommate to help. We are supplying pizza and beer but I had no problem asking the two of them to assist my husband with the heavy stuff. 
  • ktomorrow said:
    It bothers me that peops feel the need to explain why they've edited their posts here as if it is shameful cause umm couldn't care less and yeah go for that edit... Am I missing something people?
    I have always wondered too!!! I edit mine because my auto type sucks and sometimes I'll send things off without carefully reading it. And then I'll catch a mistake and it will bug the crap out of me. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

July16 JULY siggy challenge

• jlgriff11 said:

elldel said:
    UO: I'm collecting colostrum for my newborn starting a few days ago. It seems to be a super unpopular thing to do around TB, but my midwife, doula, and lactation consultant all support it and it's actually been a big relief for the boobs and very much a confidence-builder for DH and I. He's a crazy supportive breastfeeding partner! Should anything go wrong and supplementing be recommended, we won't have to use formula. And yes I've read the controversial and inconclusive evidence about antenatal expressing inducing early labor, but the medical professionals I'm working with and I feel confident that it won't be an issue and I can safely continue. Also I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a crazy breastfeeding advocate- fair warning!
    I don't know what the normal time is but IF i'm in the bath or shower and put too much pressure or squeeze my nipples (don't ask why I'd do that okay?) a very small amount will come out. But it's not like it's leaking into my bra or anything. I don't know if it'd even be enough to pump.
    I was instructed that colostrum will never be enough to pump and pumping is not recommended. We're talking mL of colostrum, not oz and I was told to only hand-express as long as it's comfortable and relieving. I make about a tablespoon a day, but I was making that regardless and just wiping it up before. Collecting it seems like a no-brainer to me if I'm getting it out anyway. My boobs feel itchy and achey and I get "lightening tits" and that's how I can tell it needs to come out- feels like a relief when I hand-express almost like how popping a zit is a relief. No idea if any of this is normal, but it's interesting and controversial!
  • @noelietrex - I love the term 'lightening tits'; that's exactly how it feels when you experience letdown, too. So it's like a little warning that your boobs are going to start spurting milk everywhere :wink:.
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • jlgriff11 said:
    I think it's tacky to ask friends to help them move. If they offer that's one thing, but not outright ask what they're doing on Saturday and if they can move your shit into a new place. 

I'm not above bribery. Is that tacky? Like "JUST FYI anyone available to help us move Friday gets free beer and pizza. Just sayin. No pressure."
    IMHO, totes different because you're not putting anyone on the spot to help or even answer.
  • @jlgriff11 ah got it. I get lulled into complacency by the periods of calm bumping and forget it's a big bad war o words out here.  I promise any past edits were hey typo b/c yeah phone bumping is tricky...
  • I always provide pizza and soda when I move. I'm horrible at moving because it's typically into a new upstairs apartment. I make an awesome unpacker and supervisor. Lol 
  • Well good thing my body liked the glucola I have to go back for round two Monday.... 
    Boo! :(
  • LDSJM123 said:
    Let me preface this with I work in a restaurant and have a 9 year old daughter. 

I totally side eye and judge parents that tell their kid(s) "you won't like that" when it comes to trying new foods. As a foodie and someone that has always fed my daughter everything we eat, and made sure to feed her the foods that we don't personally enjoy so she could try them, this infuriates me. Let the bambino decide what they do and don't like. 

Even if they didn't like it once, doesn't mean they won't like it this time or next time. Science shows that it can take several exposures to a food to develop a taste for it. 

Edited to add some clarification. 
    Edited x 2 because I can't spell. I'm going back to bed. 
    I 100% agree with you.  I feel the same way, I always have my kids try everything.  On the other hand though, I guess I could understand a parent not wanting to waste their money on something they know their kids not going to eat.  Other then that, I am a also a foodie and work at a restaurant and can totally understand what you are saying.:)
  • I believe in unemployment pay and disability/short term disability. I also believe in family sick leave. I just don't believe that maternity/paternity leave should be taxpayer funded as (unlike being ill or laid off) pregnancy is a choice in almost all cases. I also feel very strongly that whatever a company or the government grants to mothers should also be granted to fathers and same-sex couples adopting.

I agree that FMLA falls short in protecting the jobs of people in companies with less than 50 people. I hope that States work on protecting employees not covered under FMLA.

I know it is an UO. 
    Totally agree with the bolded! In Canada this is included. DH could have taken a full year with DD, and actually would have gotten better coverage from his employer than me (he would have been topped up to almost 100% his usual wages for the entire year, my employer topped up to 80ish% for part of the leave, then just the EI for the rest which I think is about 60% of usual wages but I can't remember for sure). The only catch is that whatever time he took off was subtracted from mine, so we couldn't both take a year. We could stagger leaves, take shorter length leave together, or one of us could take the full leave. Ultimately we could manage with the pay cut and I wanted to be home more and was breastfeeding, so he didn't take any leave.

There is also adoption parental leave and I believe it's equivalent in benefits and length to maternity/paternity leave. 

Employers are required to hold the job for a year, but not required to top up the EI. Whether there's a top up varies from employer to employer. DH and I are both union and most union jobs do have the top up I believe.