1st Trimester
Options

Progesterone Levels

I just found out that I was pregnant today.  The doctor  told me that my estrogen level was 100 and my progesterone level was 12.  He would like it at 15 so he is making me take more progesterone supplements.  I have never been pregnant before, but I do have endometriosis.  I have read that it does affect your progesterone levels.  I was able to get pregnant through IVF.  I just am afraid of miscarrying.

Re: Progesterone Levels

• Options
    First congrats on your pregnancy!
    Secondly I recommend using the search bar for recent posts regarding progesterone. There are tons!

Not sure what your question is but I'll share my experience. I too have endometriosis. My recent surgery was last April. My OB put me on progesterone after each ovulation since I kept having bleeding issues. Anyways I was able to get pregnant within a month but had an early mc. Maybe my body wasn't fully recovered? It was hard to deal with. Within 3 months we got pregnant again. I still continued the progesterone but as vaginal suppositories for the first trimester. I keep having spotting throughout the first tri regardless but my numbers remained high. Please know that progesterone will not prevent a miscarriage it will only help support a healthy pregnancy. I know it's scary especially after dealing with fertility issues. Stay positive and stay in contact with your OB. As long as you are taking care of yourself that's all you really can do so early on. Remember today you are pregnant. After my loss I was devastated BUT someone told me something that helped me think of it in a different way - at least I know I can get pregnant. My fear for many years was not being able to. So hang in there and try to stay positive. Congrats again!
  • Options
    Thank you, Knottie2891384.  I also had surgery over the summer to see if that could help us get pregnant.  I am trying to take it easy.  I didn't really have a question.  I was just seeking support.  I appreciate it.  If it is meant to be this time, it will be.  I am happy to know that I can get pregnant after so many years of not being able to.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AandDM2014AandDM2014 member
    edited March 2016
    Are you seeing an RE? Seems like if you did IVF you should be. Does s/he not monitor your hormones during your cycle? I too am pregnant from IVF, this being my 3rd transfer. For all three transfers my RE was checking my progesterone levels at 5 days pre transfer, day of transfer, 5 days post transfer and 10 days post transfer, plus every week since then. Does yours not ever check your level? I don't think mine will do a transfer if my level is below 10, and its never been below 20 5 days post transfer. Also, were you not automatically put on progesterone supplements during your cycle? For all three of mine I was put on either endometrin (first transfer) or PIO (second and third transfer) 5 days before the transfer until 10-12 weeks of pregnancy.

Also, that estrogen level is really low. Should be up closer to 300.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    I am sorry, I did an IUI not IVF, so my experience is different. Progesterone will not stop/prevent you from a miscarriage but will help support a viable pregnancy. 

Again, IUI, but my RE (unlike @AandDM2014 ) does not automatically put me on a supplement. However,  they did check my progesterone and estrogen.  Mine was always above 20 at the 7 d pIUI. 
  • Options
    @PugsandKisses At my RE for IUI we are also not put on anything, just for IVF. I don't think I ever had my progesterone levels checked during any of my 6 IUIs, but I've had it checked very often for IVF. It is somewhat different as for IVF cycles your natural hormones generally get suppressed, so you need meds to get them back up.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Options
    My RE does 2 weeks of progesterone following BOTH IUI and IVF. Progesterone is only continued when needed. As stated above, progesterone support will not stop a m/c but can support a pregnancy.

OP, you are pregnant today. I took progesterone throughout my first trimester and started when it fell to a 7. I currently in my 24th week. My pregnancy has no bearing on yours but if you are looking for reassurance, I can tell you that you are still in this. Wishing you lots of luck.
  • Options
    I don't have an RE, but my doctor has been checking my levels.  I was on progesterone supplements before my embryo transfer.  They have been checking my levels.  I go back soon. Thank you, BostonBaby1.  I was looking for reassurance.