February 2016 Moms
Options

Best bottles for EBF babies

DS is 7 weeks old. I'm lucky enough to take him to work with me most of the week. However there is one day I cannot so I pump and he gets a bottle. He absolutely hates the bottle and it's a fight to get him to drink much. What kind of bottles/nipples has everyone had luck with? I've got until Wednesday to figure something out for this little guy.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Best bottles for EBF babies

• Options
    hnullhnull member
    My niece loves the Philips avent bottles- they have one with a nipple that is similar to the breast so they say, so I bought that for my daughter but she eats to fast, so I got dr Browns much better!!
  • Options
    I tried the avent natural and I didn't care for it. She drank the bottle to fast and got tummy aches. I also tried the munchkin latch bottles ( recommended to me ) I hated the nipples on those. So now I only use dr browns and she does great. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We started dr Browns at 3 weeks and he does great! No problems at all
  • Options
    Dd loves Philips Avent bottles, I just picked this brand and she ended up liking it. 

One of my nieces has Tommy Tippee, my sister really likes them. She has gone through a couple of brands.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We use Tommee tippee and have been pleased so far. Baby girl hasn't had trouble going breast to bottle and back 
  • Options
    Baby was using Avent at first and starting to fight it during feedings. We have since then moved to Dr Browns and baby loves them! 
  • Options
    The only bottle my extremely picky niece would take is called the Bare bottle. The nipple starts off almost inverted and the baby has to suck it out. She still isn't great with them (my SIL tried over 20 different kinds--we call it the lending library because she basically has one of every bottle). Around 3.5 months (when she went back to work) she switched her to sippy cups which have actually been working really well. Hopefully you find something that works soon--it can be so stressful!
  • Options
    We did the avent natural bottles because they were the top of lucie's list that were available to me. She doesn't always take it right away but she's still getting used to it and will eventually take the whole bottle. She hasn't had any issues with BF since taking a bottle once a day
  • Options
    After trying several things, the solution for us was Lansinoh Momma nipples (slow flow) on a a Dr. Brown's wide neck bottle. 

It's good to do paced feeds with primarily breastfed babies: https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

• Options
    I should have said that I have the Avent natural bottles. I've tried then 0 month and 1-3 month nipples and he's not having either. Thank you ladies. I might go pick up a couple different ones to try.
  • Options
    We've had to do bottles since day 5 due to jaundice. We started with Medela and I noticed there were lots of air bubbles. We tried the Tommee Tippee she wanted nothing to do with it. We've been using Dr. Brown bottles, but had to go up to level 2 nipples because of my let down. She would get so angry on level 1 cause she has to work so hard. She has had no problem going back and forth between the breast and bottle. 
  • Options
    TOMMEE TIPPEE! lol. 
  • Options
    Tommee tippee!!!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    We go back and forth from boob to bottle. Dr. Brown is what was recommended to us, and the baby seems to like it. 
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    We've tried avent, dr. Brown's, playtex, and nuk, LO didn't like any of them. We started using the medela calma breastfeeding nipple 4 days ago and although it was still rough at first, DS doesn't even fight it anymore and DH doesn't have any problems feeding him now. 
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    We haven't had an issue with any of them - used medela and kiinde so far. 
  • Options
    We have Joovy Boob and switch from bottles during the day to breastfeeding at night with zero issues. Two other babies we know use them as well and all took to them quickly.
  • Options
    DS goes back and forth between bottle and boob now that I'm back at work.  We use Dr. Browns and as long as I'm nowhere nearby, he has no trouble taking it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Feb16 October Siggy Challenge- Favorite Halloween Candy

Image result for reese's peanut butter cup pumpkin
  • Options
    We used avent natural bottles with a 0 nipple, so my son couldn't drink the milk too fast. We also had to put rice cereal in it to help with his silent reflux, on top of Zantac. Sometimes we'd use a number 1 nipple. 
  • Options
    I think part of his trouble is that in the one trying to give him a bottle. :( but I'm usually the only one around on a consistent basis. We will see how it goes. Thanks everyone
  • Options
    We have been successful with Tommee Tippee and with the Calma nipple from Medela. My LO did not latch early on so I was EBP until 2 weeks when we were able to get a lactation consultant to help. Now she alternates well between the Calma and the breast and does not get frustrated. Good luck! 
  • Options
    We like kiinde. The baby has to suck and use their mouth. Also the bags are really convenient for pumping and they screw into your pump directly (any pump with the supplied adapter).
  • Options
    We use the playtex vent aire bottles and my babie loves them.  Was breastfeeding and supplementing with formula and she had no problems with the bottle verses boob
  • Options
    Another vote for dr Browns!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Tommee tippee is what we used for my first son (haven't tried yet with DS2) but we had no issues at all. First try he latched right on. 
  • Options
    We've tried Dr brown's, Comotomo, tommee tippee and lansinoh mOmma. No real success of any of them except one time on comotomo and once on tommee. We are going to try the medela calma soon. He won't take it at all from my husband, only minor success with me.  He has 4 weeks to figure it out or is going to make the return to work exponentially harder on me. 
  • Options
    We had success with tonmee tippy! Out of all the ones we tried he has no problem with it! Thank goodness we got that figured out.