September 2015 Moms
Options

Ebf and sick

Really, really, sick all of a sudden (stomach bug, I'll spare details) DD has never had formula how worried should I be about passing it to her through nursing? I'm also her prime/sole caregiver... I don't know what to do, I don't have a freezer stash and I can't seem to pump much... Still nursing right now, what should I do?

Re: Ebf and sick

• Options
    You are giving her the antibodies. Keep nursing. I EP and DH and I both had the flu last week. First time I have had the stomach flu ever in my life. It was straight up debilitating. And we both still didn't feel right for days following. The nausea just kept coming in waves.  but DS never got it. The flu near us is hitting late (Indiana). And it is contagious for 5 days following the first symptoms. So I just didn't kiss DS or get in his face until Sunday. It was hard but I assume it worked because he never caught any of it. 
  • Options
    Keep nursing...you are protecting her by doing so!  I had a stomach bug a few months ago - I was able to nurse during, but the few days after my supply tanked.  So you may have to try to squeeze in some pumping sessions while she is sleeping, or buy some formula as a back-up.  Keep bringing her to your breast so your body knows it needs to produce milk - lots of skin to skin contact.  You'll get through this mama - I really hope you feel better.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Plumeria1214Plumeria1214 member
    edited March 2016
    It's ok to keep nursing, only if you can. I had stomach bug back in January and asked pediatrician. He said you only need to pump if you want to give yourself break from breastfeeding while ill. He told me virus wouldn't pass to baby through milk and she would get antibodies from it. I don't know if other doctors have different opinions. I EP and my husband and MIL gave my LO the milk I pumped that day. She was fine. Hope you feel better soon!!! 
  • Options
    Thanks guys,  this really makes me feel better (about her anyways...)
  • Options
    Ps- I didn't have any drop in supply which is crazy because I couldn't keep anything down. I drank a ton of Gatorade. So I recommend that!
  • Options
    I had the stomach flu bad too! I literally didn't have much to even pump because I was so dehydrated but I gave Lo all the milk I could and she never got it! 
  • Options
    I had a stomach flu back in February and so did most of the kids in DS's daycare. DS never got it because I kept nursing him and pumping through it. He was literally the only kid who didn't catch it! Keep nursing as much as you can, drink Gatorade, pump a little if needed. If you need to give her some formula to supplement that is no big deal!
  • Options
    Keep breastfeeding if you can, it's good for LOs immune system.  I was really sick when LO was about 8 weeks and had a high fever. LO refused to nurse because I was so hot. I had to pump which was painful (body aches, pump was worse than nursing). It sucked. I hope you feel better soon!!
  • Options
    J1DJ1D member
    Everything I've heard is keep nursing. Baby will get the antibodies and she most likely was already exposed to anything you were before you had symptoms so nursing should help protect her.