November 2015 Moms
Options

Swaddling question

I know that in order to aid LO's development we need to stop swaddling so they have the opportunity to move around at night in their sleep. But I'm confused as to what constitutes swaddling. 

We use a halo sleep sack and successfully transitioned to "arms out" sleeping. However, is the fact that her legs are still in a sack mean she's still swaddled? We also still wrap the Velcro around her waist. 

Im just confused if she should be completely free during sleep now or if sacks are still ok and allow for proper development. I'd have her out of the sack if it wasn't so cold at night here, so if getting out of the swaddle means having free legs too I'd love your tips on keeping your LO's warm at night!

Re: Swaddling question

• Options
    smnewbysmnewby member
    edited March 2016
    Pretty sure the sack part doesnt constitute swaddling since lo can flex and extend at the hips and knees. With the arms out and sack on bottom they just consider it a wearable blanket. 

another idea to keep lo warm on a cold night at night would be a fleece footed onesie if you are still concerned with the sack. 
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I think as long as LO has enough room in the sac part to fully extend their legs you are good. 

They do make just sleep sacs to use as wearable blankets that don't have Velcro wings and then we have some pajama sacs that are fleece and have fleece arms but a sac bottom that we use for colder nights. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with PP's and I think the swaddle part is the arms constricted. It's also chilly here so not using a sleep sack isn't an option because we can't use blankets! My LO has been in a sleep sack for about a week now and he definitely has use of his legs, which is evident by all the kicking he does
  • Options
    Sleep sacks are great! Our Ped is fine with it. We used them with my first LO until she was about 2 years old.
  • Options
    MoRay05 said:
    Sleep sacks are great! Our Ped is fine with it. We used them with my first LO until she was about 2 years old.
    Same here.  We had the sleep sacks with holes in the bottom for the feet for DS once he started walking. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MoRay05 said:
    Same here.  We had the sleep sacks with holes in the bottom for the feet for DS once he started walking. 
    What?! I didn't know they made those! We had to switch older daughter out of sleep sacks when she got too long for them! 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! Sounds like I just need to make sure we have a roomy sack for her. I'm glad these are "ok" and not considered swaddling because I have so many fleece sleepers with sack bottoms one size up from where she is now. 
  • Options
    What about for napping?? Lo sleeps in a sleep sack at night but alot of times during the day he's so fussy n jerky he can only fall asleep when I swaddle him tight.
  • Options
    Ceridwen77Ceridwen77 member
    edited March 2016
    What about for napping?? Lo sleeps in a sleep sack at night but alot of times during the day he's so fussy n jerky he can only fall asleep when I swaddle him tight.
    My DD will only sleep without being held if she's in one of her sleep sacks. That includes daytime naps.