Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Switching Baby to Crib

DD has been sleeping in a rock n play since she was brought home from the hospital. She is starting to get bigger and we really do need to transition her into her own space. DH and I have tried to put her down for naps in her crib but she never sleeps longer than 30 minutes before waking up. I think there is too much space in the crib to make her feel comfortable. I have no idea how to transition her. Any suggestions ?

Re: Switching Baby to Crib

• Options
    kde4kde4 member
    We went through the same thing. These are a few of the things that we did during the transition:
    • The first night we limited the pacifier fetching to 30 minutes. If it falls out multiple times, it’s only because they are trying to get our attention. We do not play that game when it’s time to go to bed. It only took one night of training for them to figure that out, so now they hold on to them for dear life once the lights go out.
    • We continued to swaddle them in their favorite swaddles (SwaddleMe's).
    • They love their mobiles. LOVE them. When we finish their bedtime feeding, we lay them on their backs staring up at the mobiles. We always play music and they kick like crazy with excitement.
    • If they wake up to eat in the middle of the night, we feed and change them. We do not talk to them or play. We never turn the lights on. As soon as they’re fed and changed, we put them right back in their cribs and turn on the musical mobile. We leave the room right away.
    Hopefully some of these things will help you! Good luck!

www.theydontfeedthemselves.com

My favorite activities and tips for surviving different phases with our twins!

• Options
    Swaddling worked for us..but right now we still rock him to sleep if he doesn't fall asleep after feeding. I try to have some type of white noise as well. I read somewhere that people are using a cosleeper/bassinet/travel bed inside the crib so that it seems more cozy at first..
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We just transitioned our little guy (15 weeks old) from sleeping in his swing to the crib. 
    1. The DockATot has been a lifesaver. It helps him to not feel so lost and insecure in the big crib. 
    2. We swaddle him as soon as we lay him down.
    3. We have a white noise machine that plays all night.
    4. He loves his aquarium that attaches to the side of the crib rail. I think it provides a distraction from being left alone until he relaxes enough to fall asleep.
    I'm not going to lie; the first couple of times we put him to bed in his crib he cried. We'd go in to check on him in 5 minute intervals and agreed if he cried for more than 15-20 minutes we'd pick him up and try again the next night. Luckily he settled down and fell asleep after 10 or so minutes and now sleeps for 7 hours before waking to eat. I know this method won't work for every baby but it is working great for us and he is sleeping more soundly than he has since he was born. I hope that helps! :) 
  • Options
    Have you tried sleeping at night? My LO has been successfully sleeping in his crib since about 4 weeks old (16 now) and does remarkably well at night. But I can't get him to nap in his crib to save my life. We still do those on my lap or in the RnP, but no issues at night.
  • Options
    Same with my baby, I was cosleeping or putting her in the carseat/swing to put her down to sleep, we still cosleep sometimes (breastfeeding and too tired to stay awake to put her back down somewhere). I've been trying to get my DD to nap/sleep in her the crib and it was always super short naps.

A few little tricks I've tried,
    Put her on her side
    Have a blanket set up to wrap around her, or I place one over her to not cause much disruption
    What I tried a bit more desperately was putting my nursing pillow around her from the bottom, so either end of its U shape is touching her under the arms basically. I was hoping it would help her feel more cuddled.

Slowly she's been sleeping better in it and longer stretches, she was capable of doing 4-5 hour stretches before usually when she was in my arms, we're getting around that now. Still she's fussier in the evening/night, sometimes I put her down in the crib 3-4 times and she's just not having it.