Babies: 0 - 3 Months

How to take newborn everywhere?

I want to be able to have my baby with me everywhere in the house, it just gets really hard to hold my baby for so long. I dont want a carrier but I am wanting something to put the baby in while I do other things such as cooking in the kitchen. 

What would be the best solution for this?

Is a play mat on the floor good enough? I just feel there might be too much of a draft on the floor in some rooms.

Re: How to take newborn everywhere?

• Why don't you want a carrier? The Ergo or something similar is SO easy and that way your baby isn't always on the back of his/her head all the time.
  • dont want a carrier because i can't cook and have the baby in it at the same time
  • Loading the player...
  • You could get a little vibrating bouncy type seat they sort of lay in and bring that room to room with you. Might be a good idea to find a carrier that you like and depending on the baby's age, you could do a hip carry. It's just so much easier IMO but might not be ideal for you.

Or leave baby in a swing in one room while you are doing something in the other. Wherever you can find that baby is safe.

• I love my newborn boppy lounger. I also have a swing and bouncy seat but the lounger is small enough that I can move it from room to room and just plop it on the floor, couch or bed near me. It keeps him up at an angle where he can watch me. I also like that I can take it with me on the go without much trouble, like to grandmas house etc. Swings are very hit or miss whether kids like them. The bouncy seats are good too, but both take up a lot more space. 
  • Get a bouncy then. That's really your only option. I wouldn't put baby on the floor while cooking 
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

• I'm assuming your concern with cooking while using a carrier would be splashing/spilling hot stuff on baby? Or is it that you don't think you can work around it? Either way I wouldn't be concerned especially with a structured carrier like an ergo,  they're pretty protected and I feel like I have full use of my hands when I'm using mine. I would think baby would be at much higher risk of getting spilled on if they were on the floor in the kitchen.  I only say this because I am messy and clumsy in the kitchen and would worry. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I put LO in the swing while I'm cooking. I don't clean or cook with LO in the carrier because I'm afraid of chemicals and burns. The swing entertains her for a while.
  • I also wear baby while cooking and have never had a problem. 
  • I put baby in the Rock N Play while I am cooking.  She can see me and I can see her, but I can put her far enough from the stove that she's safe from any splashing.  I have also used my boba wrap.
  • I have something for baby to sit/lay on in each area of the house. I have his vibrating sleeping in our room (when I shower I mov it to the bathroom), I have a swing I the living room that I can see from the kitchen, and in the "man cave" we have this chair/sleeper thing that rocks and vibrates. I also have his playmat down there. If I moving between levels or if he is awake and needing stimulation he goes in the carrier otherwise he is in whatever thing I have in the ara we are in.
  • dont want a carrier because i can't cook and have the baby in it at the same time
    Shoot, my mom used to stand by the stove holding us to breastfeed while cooking. LOL

A carrier would be fine to use while cooking. Structured, Moby, there are lots of options for your comfort level and price range. Worth looking in to!
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • The boba is my life saver! I do everything in it, even cook and clean. I even breastfed my LO in it. It is little awkward at first, but eventually gets easy and you get more comfortable wearing it. 
  • I am not comfortable cooking and carrier either. Personal preference ladies. I use the rock and play. He watches me and I talk to him. He loves it. 
  • smn14smn14 member
    We put LO in her pram and push her into kitchen when cooking 
  • TennisCourtTennisCourt member
    edited March 2016
    We are getting the Stokke Steps high chair and bouncer. The bouncer attaches to the chair to bring the baby to the table. I love this for being able to cook and have the baby up near me. However, this can be a pricey option I know. I did see another company come out with I think a swing that comes up to table level and I will look for the link! That might be a good fit for you based on what you want it for.
    edited for link:
    Here it is! https://www.amazon.com/Babymoov-A012426-Swoon-Up-Zinc/dp/B00RU1NHZW
    Me: 29 DH:32
    Married: 11/2013
    TTC: 11/2014
    Clomid Cycle 1: 10/5/2015
    BFP: 10/30/2015
    EDD: 7/11/2016!!!
    Beta 1: 247
    Beta 2: 538

• I have something in every room for LO to sit/lay down in when I need hands free. I have a swing and pack n play in the living room and I can see her in either of these from the kitchen. I also have a pack n play in my bedroom and a bouncing seat which is either in my room when I'm getting dressed/doing makeup or in the main hall upstairs when I'm showering so I can peek out and see her and while I'm cleaning the upstairs so she's almost always within eye shot. Then during the day we frequently baby wear but I also don't feel comfortable doing that while cooking or cleaning. There are lots of options! 
  • RissKay said:
    dont want a carrier because i can't cook and have the baby in it at the same time
    Shoot, my mom used to stand by the stove holding us to breastfeed while cooking. LOL

A carrier would be fine to use while cooking. Structured, Moby, there are lots of options for your comfort level and price range. Worth looking in to!
    I've definitely bf'd while cooking! Easier when it's your third time around.
  • I love my rock n play. I pull her around room to room by the flap. It's like a little sled lol! We live in a single story house so this is convenient for me. :)