September 2016 Moms

Hiking up a mountain 5 months pregnant...

Am I crazy for considering this?

Last winter DH and I were tossing around ideas for a May vacation. We learned about LeConte Lodge. It is at the top of Mt LeConte in Smokey Mountain National Park. The only way to get to the lodge is by hiking. It is a 6-8 mile hike (depending on what trail we choose) with an elevation gain of 3000+ feet. It is really hard to get reservations at the lodge (they do a lottery), but I put our name on the wait list thinking we would never get in. Well yesterday I got an e-mail notifying us that we got in! We only have 48 hours to respond and DH and I keep flip-flopping back and forth. We really want to do it, but will it be too much for me at 5 months pregnant with my 1 1/2 year old also with us? When I was 5 month along with DS, I still felt mostly fine, but I didn't do anything near as strenuous as this.

Re: Hiking up a mountain 5 months pregnant...

• Have you discussed it with your OB? From what I've always been told, as long as your pregnancy is low risk, you should be able to do the same kind of physical activity you could do before becoming pregnant. You may have to take some breaks, but if your OB gives you the okay, I think you'd be fine. 

• @camichael84 - I haven't spoken with the OB, but I don't really think she will object.  She will tell me to do what feels right...

• Loading the player...
  • AnnaS930AnnaS930 member
    edited March 2016
    What is the hike like?  A 3000 footer isn't so bad, but depends on if there is any rock scrambling/going through brooks/slippery rocks.. I would hate for there to be a big fall risk that would freak me out.  Do you use a hiking pack? I would definitely strap my son onto my husband for a hike like that... In that case, I think it's totally doable. Doesn't seem like 5 months should have too many restrictions if all else is good!!!

P.s. It sounds AMAZING
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think you would be fine. I went on a 5 mile hike last weekend. It wasn't that high, but I think 3,000 feet would be okay, especially if you're used to hiking at that level. I would just make sure you stay hydrated, take breaks when you need to, and wear some really good footwear. You might try using a trekking pole to help with your balance as well. I might just double check with my doc, but I say go for it!
    Anniversary       

• My parents did that hike last summer and said it was amazing. Definitely sounds like something you can't pass up. I think you will be fine as long as you take it slow and easy and rest as much as you need to. Prepare yourself ahead of time with some shorter hikes too. I did a seven mile hike when I was five months pregnant with my first. It didn't have the same type of elevation change but I was completely fine.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I say go for it! We did a small hike (4 mi round trip) at Pfeiffer State Park in California a couple of weeks ago and even though I had to take a couple of breaks for rest and water there were a couple of other pregnant women on the trail too, both looked further along than 3-4 months. If you're used to walking/hiking and you don't have to rappel or do anything crazy I say do it and have fun!!
  • Thank you all for the encouragement! This decision is so hard. We had started planning a trip to the Smokey Mountains when we put our name on the wait list, but after getting pregnant decided to skip the trip to save money and vacation time. Now this opportunity has us reconsidering the trip, but I am definitely nervous about how challenging the hike is and how DS will tolerate it - long car ride, irregular naps, riding in the hiking backpack.  We really don't have an option to leave him with a sitter either.  There are so many reasons to not do this trip, but it really is a rare opportunity to stay at LeConte Lodge and it will be a long time before we will want to do it again (I am not lugging 2 toddlers up a mountain).

• Without reading all of the PPs...I think it REALLY depends on whether you are used to the altitude or not. I live in Colorado and I'm used to the altitude and I still get out of breath much more easily on hikes now that I'm pregnant. My parents are in excellent shape, but they live in IL and when they visit us and go hiking they find it much more difficult. With that being said, everyone is different and I'm not in the best of shape currently. I say give it a shot!
  • Always check with your OB, but it sounds like a great experience! I am planning a hiking trip in the Adirondack Mountains with some girlfriends in a couple weeks. We go a few times a year to hike the high peaks there, which are all above 4000 ft with mostly 3000+ ft. gain. My fiance and I hiked Bald Mountain in Vermont, which is a tiny little one just under 2000 ft (only a 826 ft gain) a couple of weeks ago when I was 14 weeks and I felt fantastic. For this coming trip, I plan on getting an early start, taking my time, using trekking poles and turning around if I need to since we're only doing an out-and-back day hike up a peak. Even though I know I will really want to summit, I know it's more important to listen to my body right now.  I can't offer any advise on bringing your DS along, but I hope you get to go and have a safe, fun trip! 
  • As long as you feel fine I say go for it. We will be hiking memorial day weekend assuming everything is OK.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • OMG I would do it in a heartbeat! I love hiking!!! I think if your OB says it's AOK, and you pace yourself, stay hydrated, you should be fine :) Sounds really amazing!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yes!! As other PPs said, check with your OB and "train" for it in the meantime so it's not a huge shock to your body. 
  • So my husband and I did this hike a couple years ago. We did the Alum Cave Trail which is pretty and has some really nice outlooks (as long as it's not foggy!). It's a pretty straight forward trail but there are a few slippery spots that I had trouble with because it was rainy/foggy and the rocks get really slick. Plus there are a few spots where the trail narrows and the handrails are a bit rough. That being said, be diligent on the tough spots it's definitely manageable. just train before you go!!  We did the hike all the way to the top and back down in one day on a whim with no real planning before hand. And I'm like 250+ pounds. Just sayin.  It can be a steep climb and has a decent amount of stairs so take it slow and steady.

Definitely worth it, but I woke up the following morning and the second my feet hit the ground I thought I was going to die I was so sore.  Have fun!!
  • That sounds amazing! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Wow, I think that sounds amazing. I would go in a heartbeat, especially if it's that tough to get a spot at the lodge! I would agree to check with your OB just in case, but I would plan on just doing some hikes before hand and taking it as slow as you need on the day of, taking lots of breaks, etc. It might be a little slower going than you're used to, but it sounds like an experience you shouldn't pass up! Bringing along the LO might add some more challenges, but if you can put DS in a pack for at least part of the time, that would help. For what it's worth, I did a pretty decent hike in Hawaii with my niece in a pack on my back when she was about that same age and she loved the whole thing, didn't ask to come out once! Granted, I wasn't pregnant at the time, so I'd probably ask DH to do the carrying. :) 
  • Between you and your OB. Personally, I wouldn't do a 6-8 mile anything, well maybe a bike ride but that's not safe. It's one of those things that you can't really turn back once you get in so far.

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• Well I went ahead and accepted the reservation. My husband still isn't too sure that it is a good idea. We figured that we will do some more local hiking on the weekends and see how DS handles it. We will get a full refund minus a $15 service fee if we cancel more than 30 days before our reservation. If we cancel within 30 days, we will only get a refund if they can rent our cabin to someone else (good possibility of that). We are more than willing to sacrifice $15 to have more time to decide.

I really need to use this as motivation to get more active. I pretty much stopped exercising with 1st tri nausea and fatigue; now that it is gone, I've just been too lazy to resume my exercise routine. I haven't done much endurance exercise since running a half marathon last October, but I did lift weights pretty regularly through the winter until 1st tri symptoms kicked in.

• marajay6 said:
    Well I went ahead and accepted the reservation. My husband still isn't too sure that it is a good idea. We figured that we will do some more local hiking on the weekends and see how DS handles it. We will get a full refund minus a $15 service fee if we cancel more than 30 days before our reservation. If we cancel within 30 days, we will only get a refund if they can rent our cabin to someone else (good possibility of that). We are more than willing to sacrifice $15 to have more time to decide.

I really need to use this as motivation to get more active. I pretty much stopped exercising with 1st tri nausea and fatigue; now that it is gone, I've just been too lazy to resume my exercise routine. I haven't done much endurance exercise since running a half marathon last October, but I did lift weights pretty regularly through the winter until 1st tri symptoms kicked in.
    I think a trip is great, especially if there are more low-key trails.

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!