November 2015 Moms
Options

Trying to teach baby to roll over?

My son is about 4 months and doesn't roll over yet ? I'm not too concerned just wondering if that's normal for him to not know yet because he also doesn't play with toys or anything yet. He can be very stubborn and doesn't enjoy tummy time for too long lol.

Re: Trying to teach baby to roll over?

• Options
    LO is 4 month today and still hates tummy time. No rolling over here either. I'm not worried.
  • Options
    My LO can roll from tummy to back when he's in a good mood. I can get him to about once a day. The way I get him to do it is by showing him a toy while he is on his tummy and then moving the toy behind him. He turns his head to follow the toy and by the time he's turning to look way back he is leaning so much he has to roll over. It helps if it's a toy that makes a lot of noise because he will follow the noise. Maybe try that with your LO, but don't worry all babies are different.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine doesn't roll over. She doesn't even push up with her arms when on her tummy. I'm not worried. She is every day improving in strength and coordination in every other way.
  • Options
    What did your pediatrician say at your 4mo appointment? All babies develop differently and there really should be no concern about not rolling at 4 months. Rolling from back to tummy is not a hard 4 month milestone. 
  • Options
    My LO is 4.5 months and just started rolling from back to tummy last weekend. LO hates tummy time. Cries basically immediately when I put him down so he hasn't rolled from tummy to back yet. At his 4 month check up Ped ask if he has rolled yet. I told him no and he wasn't concerned at all. Babies develop at their own pace. 
  • Options
    Mine just rolled over the other day and I don't even think he realized he did it. He's so fascinated with his toes he learned to roll to his side. So I figured what the heck well try tummy and time and see what he does. He is so obsessed with the tv he immediately starts pushing up and wiggling towards it, and boom he rolled over like nothing! He hasn't done it since lol but at his apt about 2 weeks ago the pedi said like pp all babies are different and do things on their own time!
  • Options
    My LO was rolling over  (both ways) and now he has decided to boycott! I swear it was like the day after we had his 4 month checkup he just stopped, I'm not super worried! Before that to get him to roll over we did what PP's said and used a toy or myself to get him to go over! 
  • Options
    Mine started rolling back to tummy last week at 3.5 months. To be honest I wish he'd waited until he learned tummy to back.  Last night I was up every hour or two because now he flips in his sleep and tries but fails to flip back.  
  • Options
    My lo will be 5 months on Tuesday and has been able to roll back to tummy for awhile now, but just recently has started rolling back over from tummy to back. It was so frusterating because once we would lay him down he would immediately roll to his belly and would end up screaming bloody murder after awhile because he couldn't get back over. I wouldn't be too concerned though, all babies develop and do things at their own pace, if your lo still isn't at their next appt then I would mention it to your pedi if you're still concerned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Average is 4-5 months.   Then 5-6 months from back to belly.  Don't worry.  Google Denver developmental screening for breadth of normal fine/gross motor and social/language development 
  • Options
    My guy will be 5 months April 3. Hasn't mastered going from tummy back to his back yet. He's finally gotten comfortable with being on his tummy for several minutes without pitching a fit. He does roll onto his tummy in his sleep which made me nervous the first 100 times but I feel better about it now. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Mine has done tummy to back rolls for what feels like forever, but we're not quite at back to tummy yet.  I don't think she wants to bother, she doesn't like being on her tummy (part of why I think she got tummy to back down so fast).  Now that she's discovered her feet, she rolls onto her sides a lot, so I'm thinking it won't be long before momentum takes her the rest of the way over.  19 weeks, BTW, and I think she started tummy to back at 13 weeks but that's WAY early.
  • Options
    jdal1206 said:
    My LO was rolling over  (both ways) and now he has decided to boycott! I swear it was like the day after we had his 4 month checkup he just stopped, I'm not super worried! Before that to get him to roll over we did what PP's said and used a toy or myself to get him to go over! 
    My daughter did the same.  She started rolling super early, then learned to sit and stand and now won't roll anymore.  We had her 4 month checkup today and the doc to said this is fine, all babies kind of do it at their own pace and in their own order.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine started rolling back to tummy last week at 3.5 months. To be honest I wish he'd waited until he learned tummy to back.  Last night I was up every hour or two because now he flips in his sleep and tries but fails to flip back.  
    Me too! My LO started rolling back to tummy at 3.5 months but cannot roll back. At night she starts on her back, rolls over and then cries when she gets stuck. I have been up a lot the last four nights ...