Trouble TTC
Options

First IUI question (loss and child mentioned)

hello ladies. I have posted here before but after a loss last year and many many months of trying, we are finally attempting our first IUI. I go monday morning (CD 10) for them to start checking for a surge and then ovulation. My question is can we still try at home as well as attempt the IUI? I never thought of that before but should also be trying the days leading up to the IUI? 
TIA 

Re: First IUI question (loss and child mentioned)

• Options
    I don't know the exact answer to you question, since we have never done IUI, but I'm following for an answer, because that will be our next step in a few months.
    It seems that most people try on their own in addition to IUI. I would ask your Dr. if your partner should abstain for any length of time before collection time. It will probably depend on whether MFI is part of your diagnosis. Usually it's only 24-36 hours prior to the IUI, but best to ask you doctor next change you get. Obviously, after the IUI you can BD as much as you want. 

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
    MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    TTC #1 since June 2015 
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
    May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
    Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

• Options
    The instructions my RE gave us said to abstain for 3 days but she said that since DH had a good count we just needed to abstain from positive opk until the IUI.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did our first IUI this cycle, and after my day 12 US, my RE instructed me to trigger that night, and BD the next morning.  Two days after my trigger I went in for my IUI.   :)

I would follow your doctor's instructions but I found from Dr. Google that you increase your chances of IUI success if you do not abstain for more than 2 days from your IUI.   :#

Here's a helpful link with IUI success rates: https://sites.google.com/site/miscarriageresearch/iui-success-rates

Good luck to you!!  <3
  • Options
    For us we do two IUIs and then BD the day after the second IUI.  Good luck with your IUI!  

Me 36 DH 34 - Married May 2010
    DX: PCOS/Unexplained Infertility/MTHFR Mutation
    TTC since December 2014
    Fresh Transfer: Gonal, Menopur, Cetrotide. ~ Chemical Pregnancy :(  
    FET #1: 1st Beta- 3,792~ 2nd Beta- 4,227~ BFP ~ Miscarriage at 8 weeks :( 
    FET #2: 1st Beta 207~2nd Beta 235~ BFP~ Miscarriage at 6 weeks :(
    FET #3: 1st Beta 18~ 2nd Beta 44~BFP~ Miscarriage 5 weeks :(
    FET #4: 1st Beta 50~ 2nd Beta 97.7~ Miscarriage 6 weeks 5 days :(
    FET#5: 1st Beta 29~ 2nd Beta 109~ 3rd Beta 227~ 4th Beta 661~ Miscarriage 5 weeks 3 days 
    Miracle Natural BFP Estimated Due Date June 2019~ God is good 
    2 snow babies 

• Options
    StephyM89StephyM89 member
    edited March 2016
    hello ladies. I have posted here before but after a loss last year and many many months of trying, we are finally attempting our first IUI. I go monday morning (CD 10) for them to start checking for a surge and then ovulation. My question is can we still try at home as well as attempt the IUI? I never thought of that before but should also be trying the days leading up to the IUI? 
    TIA 
    I'm also starting my very first IUI cycle next month, and I am so glad you asked this, I was wondering the same thing! GL! xo
    Me: 31 DH: 32
    Married: 10/4/14, Together Since: 5/21/06
    Children: 1 (girl, 3 years)

TTTC #1 since April 2015, Started Treatment Dec 2015
    5 Cycles of IF treatment until BFP! (IUI, Gonal-F, Letrozole)
    BFP: September 5th, 2016
    Born: May 22, 2017

TTTC #2 since September 2020, Currently in Testing phase 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    KutieKara said:
    We did our first IUI this cycle, and after my day 12 US, my RE instructed me to trigger that night, and BD the next morning.  Two days after my trigger I went in for my IUI.   :)

I would follow your doctor's instructions but I found from Dr. Google that you increase your chances of IUI success if you do not abstain for more than 2 days from your IUI.   :#

Here's a helpful link with IUI success rates: https://sites.google.com/site/miscarriageresearch/iui-success-rates

Good luck to you!!  <3

Thanks so much for posting this. I found it very helpful!
    Me: 31 DH: 32
    Married: 10/4/14, Together Since: 5/21/06
    Children: 1 (girl, 3 years)

TTTC #1 since April 2015, Started Treatment Dec 2015
    5 Cycles of IF treatment until BFP! (IUI, Gonal-F, Letrozole)
    BFP: September 5th, 2016
    Born: May 22, 2017

TTTC #2 since September 2020, Currently in Testing phase 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    KutieKara said:

Good luck to you!!  <3

Wow that website has so much data, I love data! Now I have more percentages to obsess over :) Thanks for sharing! 

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
    MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    TTC #1 since June 2015 
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
    May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
    Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy