December 2015 Moms

Annoying things people said over easter

i just need to rant....and I'm sure others of you do, too. 
Heres the list. in no particular order 
1) "oh you're breastfeeding? I hear that's good" (eye roll)
2) (to another person while I'm in the room) "that baby hasn't been burped properly so she's full of gas!" (Actually she was pooping, but whatevs)
3) "how's she sleeping?" (Me:great!) "great! You're already better than your brother!" 

Have any  you'd like to share??

Re: Annoying things people said over easter

• My mom is dead set on giving my baby food before six months and it's starting to piss me off. I caught her about to put a green bean in dd's mouth. She said it was just to suck on a bit to taste. I was pissed because it was covered in butter. 

Im going to have to have a serious sit down since she's watching DD while I'm at work and I'm starting to worry.
  • DH's grandmother was telling me that my child needed socks. It was 80 degrees and we were outside. She asked me what he ate and when I told her breastmilk she kept saying "what else?" Ummm... He's four months old, he doesn't need anything else
    She also kept telling me to start feeding him baby food "so he can get a taste for it" When I responded saying we're not going to even attempt that for another couple of months she just kept pushing it on me
    She is the same woman who told my husband that we spoiled our two week old by picking him up when he cried  :|
  • Loading the player...
  • DD was understandably fussy when I was trying to get her to sleep while 8 other people were screaming at the basketball game on tv.  I finally gave up and brought her back out to the living room, and everyone cheered about her being awake to visit with them.  Then,  when they left,  DH's grandma said something to me about DD not feeling well. No, she just is exhausted. 

DH's grandma also made several comments about whether DD was being "well-behaved." As if a 3 month old baby has the ability to "behave."  
  • My SO did the same thing with a green bean.. Smh it pisses me off. He does it with other things too. And I have to keep reminding him, he's only 3 1/2mos. 

My babysitter keeps saying to start the baby on baby cereal when he's four months old. She thinks he's not getting enough food and calls my breastmilk water. Well this "water" is better than any other water he'd ever get once he can actually start drinking it
  • SO's family asking if my baby pooped every 5 minutes. No, his farts just stink and that's just his face. He's not straining. Asked why he never wears shoes, I said he won't until he can walk well. They've been on cereal in the bottle and baby food for a month now and clearly don't agree with BLW, gave Henry an Easter basket filled with jarred baby food and rice cereal, because breastmilk clearly isn't all he need. Guess what "accidentally" got left behind?
    We got baby food as a gift really early, too. I just made a point of checking the expiration date and loudly saying "Oh good, this will still be good when she starts cereal in a few months."
  • DD likes to suck on her hand, so all weekend we heard "She's starving!" from family. No, she just ate, that's just what she does! I think I would know if my daughter was starving. 
  • chodge29chodge29 member
    edited March 2016
    We went to a lunch at a church (after church was over so it was just inlaws) and little man got bombarded with baby talk for 30 minutes. He was happy and smiling but he had already been up for two hours so started to get fussy/over stimulated . I took him to a back room that had a rocking chair and it took 40 minutes to get him to sleep 30 minutes because people kept coming in and trying to talk to me while I was rocking him. 

Then we went to my husband's grandmothers house where not only did his cousin have pink eye but his grandmother actually took him from me to walk him around while he was fighting sleep (he had gotten about 30 minutes of sleep in six hours at this point) because she said I was trying to force him to sleep when he wasn't tired. Needless to say I got his stuff ready and we left.

Fun fun day :)
  • Yes to all the food things. According to my SOs dad, Zachary is starving because he's sucking his hand, and that I should just put him on solids so he can feed him. 
    No. Breastmilk is more than enough for my child.
  • After church my husband and i went to his parents house where his younger sister was visiting for spring break. After awhile of her grandma and aunt was playing with her she started to get fussy beacuse she was ready for a nap. Even my mother in law noticed the baby becoming fussy and hinted at maybe the baby was ready for a nap. Her aunt was holding her saying " those are just crocodile tears, i know what she wants" and takes her outside for a walk. His sister can be annoying at times. But after a few minutes of her trying to calm her down she couldn't and came to bring me the baby saying "i think she tired and ready for a nap." no sh!t sherlock. 
  • one thing from Easter still has me pissed. My future in laws have a dog that's 9 years old, She's never been around babies. It was our first time bringing DS over there and I made our wishes clear that the dog not be allowed too close to the baby. Sure as hell I went to the bathroom came back and my son is lying on his blanket on the floor and the dog's face is in his face and he was trying to grab her.  When I said something the response was "she wouldn't hurt him".  Nope. Picked him right up, I don't care how sweet she is, she's still a dog, with teeth. I don't even let MY dog get in the baby's face. 
  • amye02 said:
    one thing from Easter still has me pissed. My future in laws have a dog that's 9 years old, She's never been around babies. It was our first time bringing DS over there and I made our wishes clear that the dog not be allowed too close to the baby. Sure as hell I went to the bathroom came back and my son is lying on his blanket on the floor and the dog's face is in his face and he was trying to grab her.  When I said something the response was "she wouldn't hurt him".  Nope. Picked him right up, I don't care how sweet she is, she's still a dog, with teeth. I don't even let MY dog get in the baby's face. 
    My in-laws have a chocolate lab mix dog that is taller than my 2 year old. SFIL thinks his dog is great and would never hurt anyone. Maybe so, but the dog gets out of their backyard a lot, which they don't seem to mind, and while we were there a couple weeks ago, my daughter was walking in the front yard while I was getting DS out of the car, and their dog ran up on her. He didn't knock her down, but it scared her so much that she started screaming and ran to me and tried to climb up my legs. 

Control your dogs, people! 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• "Why isn't the baby asleep"
    "is the baby pooping again?!"
    she doesn't just magically sleep unfortunately and she loves to poop, sorry!
  • I think we seriously confused my LO by waking her up st 530 so we could go to an early church service. we decided to put her in Sunday school for the first time so we wouldn't disturb the service and we could pay attention to the special guest. We figured it would also be good practice for me letting other people care for her. Well I was already having some anxiety about it then my dad goes and says "you're just gonna leave her like that! That's horrible!" Started making me feel bad. My husband reassured me for it to all be fine. After the service we picked her up and she fell asleep in the car in the way to breakfast. We get to breakfast and my dads girlfriends family comes running and attempts to open up stroller to take her out and I was like hell no! She's sleeping! And they were all upset I wouldn't let them see her. She slept thru the whole thing and then my dad wanted me to take her out so they could do a group picture and I was still like nope! 

They were here mad they never got to see her at all on Easter cause she was sleeping but I knew after waking her up that early she needed the extra nap to get back on schedule. 

When she was awake later in the day my dad and his girlfriend came up at the same time and got so close to her face making baby voice at her it like instantly overwhelmed her and she freaked out. I was like my goodness... Chill out, if I felt scared and overwhelmed what do you guys think she felt being so tiny! 
  • jkloeppel said:
    DD likes to suck on her hand, so all weekend we heard "She's starving!" from family. No, she just ate, that's just what she does! I think I would know if my daughter was starving. 
    Yep I get this also.
  • Person: Aww this picture (of baby with the easter bunny) is so cute! How was that?
    Me: It was fine. Grandma took him.
    Person: How could you not be there for your son's first picture with the easter bunny?!
    Me: Easy, I was at work and hate going to the mall to begin with. So his grandma picked him up and took him to do something only she wanted to do anyways.

Person2: Where is Oliver going to easter egg hunt this year?
    Me: He is 3 months old.
    Person2: So?
    Me: So he can't walk, eat candy, or even remotely understand how to find something that is hidden.
    Person2: But the tradition....
    Me: We can talk about traditions once he is old enough to participate properly.
    I didn't even bother making a basket for Henry or take him to see an Easter bunny. Obviously SO's family was mortified. 
  • Currently at MILs...every time DD fusses she insists it's gas. NO. She just doesn't like how you're holding her lady. So annoying.
  • babyA4242 said:
    My Easter was opposite of most family gatherings we've endured since baby boy came along. We travelled to be with MY family and it was beyond nice to be around people who are NOT pushy and annoying around the baby! When he would get overwhelmed or fussy, instead of how my MIL always tries to tell me what I'm doing wrong and tries to walk away with the baby while he just screams louder, my mom and dad and grandparents and siblings would say to me, "what should I do?" Or "does he need his mom?" and gladly give him over to me or my hubby if that's what baby needed. Also, if he was overtired or the surroundings were too loud everyone would encourage "it's ok if you need to take him somewhere quieter, we'll visit with him once he's feeling more comfortable" instead of forcing themselves on a sleepy baby like the inlaws ALWAYS do. Worst part is the inlaws live mere streets away while my family lives hours away and have really only gotten to see him 3-4 times. Inlaws can see him whenever but insist on visiting and the worst times. I so glad we didn't have to deal with them this holiday!!! 
    Same here! I traveled and stayed in one place, I almost feel rejuvenated. I got to hold my own baby at a holiday party it was lovely. Going home on Thursday, I'll probably weep silently the whole way home. 
  • "You need to give him water. You know as well as I do, we need to clean our systems. Here I'll give him some."

LEAVE MY CHILD ALONE.

He just got a bottle and after .5 oz MIL tries to burp him, while he screams:
    "He's gassy, I can feel it. Yes, he needs to burp. You'll feel better when you burp!" (Baby throws up from excessive burping.) "there you go, all better."

STEP AWAY FROM MY BABY.