April 2016 Moms

Official Labor Watch Thread

Re: Official Labor Watch Thread

• shani12345shani12345 member
    edited March 2016
    I got checked out today after dramatic blow out with dh. I've been having lots of contractions and he asked if he could go out to a party since I was having contractions and "wasn't feeling well" anyway. I lost it completely. Picked up my ass and took a taxi to the women's medical clinic. Turns out I'm 1cm dilated and 50%effaced. felt better after getting checked out (the exam was rather painful. Anyone else feel that too?) he realized he was in the wrong and picked me up from there after my check out. we had a long discussion at his parents place for dinner.. he still insisted I overreacted and goes "you were gonna stay home though anyway, weren't you?" I totally lost the plot through tears "but I'm having contractions! You want to take me to where there's cigarettes and beer?" I think I said something like that then he got me a glass of water gave me a hug and apologized :sad:

then just now before bed he said to conclude he learnt that he's really not prepared enough to be a father, and he needs to work on being more ready for our next stage. also that he needs to be more gentle with me at this point and underestimated how difficult this whole pregnancy has been with him working almost 24/7.. 

• I'm officially scheduled for an induction at 39 weeks...will go to the hospital the evening of 3/31 so they can get me started dilating overnight and then start the contractions the next morning. The doc I saw yesterday said she wasn't optimistic about me going into labor on my own before then. I had high BP prior to pregnancy and have been medicated the whole time. It's been totally under control but she explained that in my specific situation after 39 weeks the risks start to outweigh the benefits of trying to keep baby in there until 40. I'm a bit bummed because this wasn't exactly what I visualized and I know it increases my risk of needing a C section but I trust her recommendation and no matter the method I get a baby at the end, so, I've made my peace with it. It is nice to have an end date in sight as I am getting so uncomfortable!
    @RoseGold10 - I'm in the same situation with the high BP before pregnancy and having it medicated/under control the whole pregnancy too.  My due date is at the end of April so I don't have a scheduled induction yet just crossing my fingers that baby girl comes on her own before then!  II'm glad to hear of others that are in the same boat, thanks for sharing! Good luck to you and here's to hoping you have a smooth delivery!
  • Loading the player...
  • Has anyone dealt with different doctors having different opinions on how to handle your labor situation?

The practice I go to has four doctors that you rotate through. When you go to L&D, one of the four will be on call and that's the one who will see you. 

I was diagnosed with gestational hypertension a couple of weeks ago and on Tuesday the doctor told me that unless my BP goes down and stays down, they will be inducing me at 39 weeks, which is less than two weeks away now. When I asked her to elaborate on why I would have to do that if I'm not preeclampsia level, just sort of borderline high which is what I've been dealing with, she said that they always induce at 39 weeks for gestational hypertension.

Then I went into L&D tonight because my BP got up to like 157/101 and I had a bad headache. They had me roll onto my left side and turned the lights down, which got the number back down to the 140s/80s. The same borderline high numbers I've been dealing with for weeks. The doctor that was on call wasn't the same one I saw the other day. She said that as long as I stay in the 130s-140s/80s-90s, they'd just let me go until I went into labor on my own. 

Now I'm so confused! I don't want to be induced but I had come to terms with it and then this other doctor is like "nahhh, we won't do that." I don't know who I am supposed to believe when it comes to what is best for me and baby as they are both my doctors. And I have no clue what to expect now. Will it all come down to which doctor I see next? 
  • katynnew said:
    Has anyone dealt with different doctors having different opinions on how to handle your labor situation?

The practice I go to has four doctors that you rotate through. When you go to L&D, one of the four will be on call and that's the one who will see you. 

I was diagnosed with gestational hypertension a couple of weeks ago and on Tuesday the doctor told me that unless my BP goes down and stays down, they will be inducing me at 39 weeks, which is less than two weeks away now. When I asked her to elaborate on why I would have to do that if I'm not preeclampsia level, just sort of borderline high which is what I've been dealing with, she said that they always induce at 39 weeks for gestational hypertension.

Then I went into L&D tonight because my BP got up to like 157/101 and I had a bad headache. They had me roll onto my left side and turned the lights down, which got the number back down to the 140s/80s. The same borderline high numbers I've been dealing with for weeks. The doctor that was on call wasn't the same one I saw the other day. She said that as long as I stay in the 130s-140s/80s-90s, they'd just let me go until I went into labor on my own. 

Now I'm so confused! I don't want to be induced but I had come to terms with it and then this other doctor is like "nahhh, we won't do that." I don't know who I am supposed to believe when it comes to what is best for me and baby as they are both my doctors. And I have no clue what to expect now. Will it all come down to which doctor I see next? 
    I've been dealing with this too. Different doctors have different opinions. When I went into labor Wednesday, the midwife was all for me having the baby before 37 weeks while the two doctors I saw were against it and trying different methods to stall my labor (IV, bed rest).

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @fbanke42 That's right, I remember reading your posts now. It's so frustrating! I know that nothing with having a baby is ever set in stone as we could literally go into labor at any moment, but it's really hard being told something and coming to terms with it and then being told something else. I'm already so physically drained at this point, now they're messing with my mind too! Haha ugh. 
  • katynnew said:
    Has anyone dealt with different doctors having different opinions on how to handle your labor situation?

My practice has this, you see whoever is on call, but ultimately my primary OB had the final say, and they followed along with her plan. Any way you can bring this up with your primary one?
    DS 10/19/09

DD 3/14/11

BFP 8/8/12 EDD 4/20/13 MMC @ 9+ wks D&C 9/27/12

DS2 9/12/13

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I am 37 weeks 1 day and am dialed 4 cm, 85% effaced and at +1 station! Even though my due date isn't until April 14th my doctor thinks she'll be here between now and Wednesday! I can't wait to meet our Emily Grace! 
    BabyName Ticker
  • ashdawn24 said:
    Joness11 said:
    I've heard labor starts with a bad lower back ache, anyone else had it happen that way? I haven't had any lower back pain throughout the pregnancy, really, and today I've started having an awful back ache and pressure down in my lower belly. But no contractions. Hoping labor isn't starting just yet!
    I've been having lower back pains and period-like cramping, plus pressure from baby's head, for about a week now. I think it's a signal that your body is getting ready for labour, but labour could be in a day or two or still a month away... there's no guarantee. Wouldn't it be nice if was a sure sign of imminent labour?

• katynnew said:

My practice has this, you see whoever is on call, but ultimately my primary OB had the final say, and they followed along with her plan. Any way you can bring this up with your primary one?
    Unfortunately, we aren't given a primary one. From the very first appointment, I started the rotation through the four of them. It's been nice in a way because I feel comfortable with the idea of any of them being the one to deliver at this point but this is the first time I've ran into this differenting of opinions issue. I'm supposed to see the one who wants to induce on my appointment on Monday but she is on call so if she needs to leave and go to the hospital, I'll see someone else. I'm kind of hoping to see a third one who will maybe side with one or the other. Then if I have two doctors saying one thing versus one saying something else, I'll just trust the majority opinion haha. I don't know.
  • With LO arriving in less than 4 wks my biggest fear right now is the spinal. Does it hurt? What should I expect? I've had lower back injections before and boy did they hurt like hell. I was numbed from the surface (local only) but cried the whole time. 

This was my biggest fear with my last pregnancy (I'm a STM). I had a scheduled c-section so I also wasn't comforted at all by everyone talking about you won't feel it because contractions are worse and you'll want it. I was almost shaking nervous in the OR plus they wouldn't let my DH in the room till after I got it  (dang hospital liability). It amazingly wasn't bad. It was difficult to stay hunched over but it goes quickly and is just uncomfortable more than anything. I've never been stung by a bee so not sure if that comparison is accurate or not
  • fourtsixand2fourtsixand2 member
    edited March 2016
    Congrats on all the progress, ladies!
  • I get that pretty frequently. I always think it's a piece of my mucus plug or just a bunch of discharge (like right after waking up). Never bloody. A bit tmi- most or all of my plug just came out and it was bloody probably more due to my cervical check.
  • Just wondering how is it that I was having early labor pains on Thursday and now it's almost like nothing. Even the doc said there was a chance of going in that night. So weird!
  • Well I freaking fell down. And hit the side of my tummy, there's a big red mark and everything. I feel so ridiculous. We are at labor and delivery and they have to monitor me for 4 hours. Everything looks fine but they have to make sure I didn't disrupt the placenta or anything. So we are sitting here listening to her heart beat and playing on our phones. A great way to spend Saturday night. Sheesh!
  • Well I freaking fell down. And hit the side of my tummy, there's a big red mark and everything. I feel so ridiculous. We are at labor and delivery and they have to monitor me for 4 hours. Everything looks fine but they have to make sure I didn't disrupt the placenta or anything. So we are sitting here listening to her heart beat and playing on our phones. A great way to spend Saturday night. Sheesh!
    Hope alls well! I remember listening to her heartbeat on the fetal monitor became comforting after a while :)
    Hope you and baby are OK, bummer way to spend the night but at least you don't drive yourself nuts at home wondering if she's still safe and comfortable in there.
  • TKaiser91 said:
    Well headed to l&d now. Been having contractions since 11 last night. They stayed about 4-6 minutes apart all night. They are now 2-4 minutes apart and more painful. And I'm pretty sure my water broke as well. Might be having an Easter baby!
    Yay good luck!!!! And happy Easter!
  • TKaiser91 said:
    Well headed to l&d now. Been having contractions since 11 last night. They stayed about 4-6 minutes apart all night. They are now 2-4 minutes apart and more painful. And I'm pretty sure my water broke as well. Might be having an Easter baby!
    So excited for you girl! Keep us posted & congrats!  :)
  • After my water broke I waited 6 hrs ( then was at hospital only 6 before baby came) hoping mine breaks again like that!! Good luck!
  • False alarm. Just mucus plug apparently since tests were negative for amniotic fluid. Who would have thought there would be such a gush with just the mucus plug! He is riding super low at 0 station though. 
  • JDK625 said:
    False alarm. Just mucus plug apparently since tests were negative for amniotic fluid. Who would have thought there would be such a gush with just the mucus plug! He is riding super low at 0 station though. 
    I lost a big chunk of my mucus plug on Friday after a cervical check. I noticed that I tend to have way more "fluid" like discharge after losing some of the plug (going on for a few weeks now). It feels like a slow gush. Hopefully it's the real deal soon!
  •  JDK625 said:
    Water broke about 45 min ago! No strong contractions though. Was told to call back in an hour? I thought for sure we'd be heading into the hospital after that gush..
    I didn't go in until 21 hrs after my water broke with #3. No meconium, so I labored at home as long as I could.
  • Thought that I was having fluid leakage Wednesday of last week, but went to the OB and turns out that I was just peeing myself. DH and I had a pretty good laugh at that one. I'm hoping that he'll come soon, I'm super ready to meet him and not feel this uncomfortable 24/7 anymore. More pictures ladies, I am in love with all of the little faces! 
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've just been peeing myself....a lot....lately.
  • mrstrax said:
    6 contractions in the last 30-45 minutes... Hoping they continue through a shower and don't fizzle out after a couple hours again, but this is by far the closest together they've been yet (every 15-20 minutes when they've happened the last 3+ weeks). I'm tempted to go in pretty quickly because I'm far enough along (39w2) that my OB would help labor continue if it did stall instead of sending me home. 
    Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Had painful contractions on and off yesterday, never got more than 20 mins apart.  Stopped shortly before 10 pm and was able to go to sleep.  Started in again around 9:30 am and seriously thought I was going to go into labor today.  My body did a full clean out, but no bloody show. Contractions every 20 mins again and they wouldnt get closer together. Then they stopped around noon.  Contractions did not start in again until around 7 pm tonight.  Contraction have gotten more intense and are now 16 mins apart. I've laid down but the lower back pain is constant and pretty intense.
    Called the Dr and they aren't too concerned until they get closer together.  I am exhausted.  I might cry if this keeps up for another few weeks.
  • Does anyone know when doctors will do a membrane sweep? On paper I'm 38 weeks but I'm measuring a week ahead
  • mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited March 2016
    Aaaand they're gone (well back to every 20 minutes or so). This is seriously exhausting; both physically, and so much more so emotionally.

Anniversary 
  • Induction started last night, still no contractions but I'm 1cm so I guess that's a start.  I go back in this morning for more gel and so hopefully little miss will be here today. I'm nervous but trying to relax.
  • sarahufl said:
    Thought that I was having fluid leakage Wednesday of last week, but went to the OB and turns out that I was just peeing myself. DH and I had a pretty good laugh at that one. I'm hoping that he'll come soon, I'm super ready to meet him and not feel this uncomfortable 24/7 anymore. More pictures ladies, I am in love with all of the little faces! 
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've just been peeing myself....a lot....lately.
    Haha hear hear. between discharge and peeing ourselves it is challenging to distinguish amniotic fluid esp for first timers. I'm 37 weeks today and contractions have vanished. so heavy though! I ate a big breakfast and felt like I was gonna fall flat onto my empty plate when I stood up...
  • ... And then ate lasagne for late lunch..
  • ashdawn24 said:
    My water broke about half an hour ago... while on a walk, talking about how rare it is that people's water just breaks in a gush in random places, haha!

So excited and nervous now! Let's hope this progresses quickly!
    I love the irony! Good luck! 
    Anniversary