February 2016 Moms
Options

More Tired with More Sleep?

middy411middy411 member
edited March 2016 in February 2016 Moms
Does anybody else feel MORE tired when LO sleeps longer at night? I find it harder to get up if LO has a 4-6 hour stretch of sleep at night as opposed to every 2 or so hours. I'm totally not complaining. LO is 4 weeks old today and slept for 6 hours for the first time last night and though I was giddy and celebrating, I felt even more tired than when I'm up more frequently. I'm wondering if it has to do with interrupting a deeper sleep? I barely slept in college and was quite functional so maybe my body just prefers tons of sleep or no sleep at all instead of adequate sleep lol. Hoping she keeps up the longer stretches though bc it makes me feel like she's getting closer and closer to sleeping through the night and progressing healthily. Happy first Easter to all the babes!

Re: More Tired with More Sleep?

• Options
    I feel the same way.  We've had a couple of 6-7 hours stretches and getting up in the morning seems even harder those days.  I have no idea why though
  • Options
    It probably has to do with your body adjusting to less sleep. Over time you body gets used to only sleeping a couple hours at a time so when you get 6 hours straight you wake up even more tired. Your body needs a pretty precise amount of sleep, not too much or too little 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel like it may have something to do with getting a deeper sleep, too. It's a lot harder for me to wake after a 3-4 stretch than 1-2. 

Also, congrats! Your baby DID sleep through the night. 5 hours is the definition of sleeping through the night. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I have noticed when I get up with him at 630 instead of putting him back to sleep, I'm a lot less tired than when I sleep with him till 830 or 9... Also, I'm super jealous of your 6 hour stretch! The longest we have gotten is 4, and that's rare.
  • Options
    Woot! I just assumed it was having a new baby. Regardless of how much sleep I get at night I'm still beat by bedtime the next day! DS is almost 8 weeks and has been sleeping 9:30-5 most nights, but I still feel like I need more sleep
  • Options
    willkc said:
    I have noticed when I get up with him at 630 instead of putting him back to sleep, I'm a lot less tired than when I sleep with him till 830 or 9... Also, I'm super jealous of your 6 hour stretch! The longest we have gotten is 4, and that's rare.
    We invested in a self-rocking and vibrating rock n play after seeing that so many people used rock n plays for sleep. She just started refusing to sleep in her bassinet. I credit the rock n play for the 6 hour stretch! She loved it so much I had to wake her after 6 hours. She would stir but not wake because she was so comfy haha
  • Options
    Yes, some days I feel so tired and I don't know why! I find if I lay in bed until 10ish, I'm more exhausted than if I just get up at 830. I do enjoy sleeping in though, as when I go back to work, I will have to get up around 6am :( 
  • Options
    Same her! LO slept from 10pm until 4am the other night and while DH and I were thrilled I felt so tired by 6am I had to go back to bed lol nights where I only sleep 3 hour stretches I seem to be better able to adjust. I agree with the deep sleep theory, that I get into such a deep sleep when I have a longer stretch that it's harder to rouse myself from it versus just light sleeping and waking cycles. 
  • Options
    Lurking from March with a 4 week old.  I told DH the same thing this morning.  LO had some nice almost 3 hour stints of sleep last night, and I felt more exhausted at the end of the night than the other nights with less sleep.  I told him the more I get, the more my body craves sleep.  If I'm only getting 30 minute short stints all night, I could go forever and wake up ready to hit the deck running.