June 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding Bottles?

I just ordered Munchkin Latch Bottles, and they should be here tomorrow. I seen alot of good reviews on them, I was wondering if you mama's have ever used them for breastfeeding transition back and forth between the bottle and the breast? I will be going back to work after I have her and I want to ebf for as long as I can.. I just don't want her to get confused, either way she'd be getting breastmilk, but I'd prefer breast to mouth feeding, vs. bottle breastmilk feeding.

BabyFetus Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My life completely changed, 03/20/13, then a year later it changed again, 09/14/14, then a year and a half later, it's changing again! 
#momlife  <3

Re: Breastfeeding Bottles?

• It really depends on the baby, as confusing as that is. With both of my daughters, we had to try multiple different brands before finding one that they would take. It wasn't a matter of nipple confusion, but of nipple refusal. DD1 would not take anything other than Playtex bottles (we used the drop-ins), and DD2 wound up only liking the Medela bottles that came with my pump. 

• I agree. My son wouldn't take anything but Dr. Brown's, and my daughter was a 32 week preemie, so she would not take anything but Gerber Essentials for some reason lol.

I have literally tried so many bottles so this time I am hoping it is a hit lol, if not I will keep testing and buying.
    BabyFetus Ticker

My life completely changed, 03/20/13, then a year later it changed again, 09/14/14, then a year and a half later, it's changing again! 
    #momlife  <3
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm also in the camp of it depends on baby - my daughter refused so many bottles before she finally agreed to try dr Browns. She was really resistant to anything but the breast! Which is funny, because she was actually bottle fed for the first week of her life while I figured everything out. 
  • catherinekatecatherinekate member
    edited March 2016
    My best friend is a saint and lent me one of every kind of bottle she had so that we could try and see what the baby likes before going out and buying a bunch--do you have any recent mom friends who could do the same for you?
  • My DD took any bottle. I even exclusively breastfed her from the boob her first month. Once I started pumping I had her on Avent (which I loved bc they were so easy to clean), and Dr. Browns. There was no nipple confusion with her.
    Her only issue was I bought really cheap (I think they were some kind of Wal-Mart brand) bottles and they gave her horrible gas pains.
    I plan on buying a set of Evenflo glass bottles, and reusing the Avent (replacing nipples) for this baby.
  • I believe the key to continuing to exclusively breastfeed while working outside the home is that when mamma is around, baby breastfeeds only.  Baby only gets bottles when mamma isn't there, and from other people.  So the breast is the only option if mamma is home. 
    My daughter took  bottles easily, and had no problems.  My son just didn't like bottles - always sputtered and fussed, despite several different bottles.  But he'd get the minimum he needed.  Then he started totally refusing bottles at about 8 months, which was fine.  He was huge, ate lots of solids & took water from a cup, and I got to stop pumping!!!!

• I believe you are supposed to get a bottle that has a nipple that is shaped most like your own. There are so many different shaped ones you just have to compare. Also, like PP have said its up to the baby. For my first I bought dr brown based on reviews but he ended up liking cheaper Nuk bottles. 
  • I also used the Dr Browns bottles - a bitch to clean bc there are so many parts, but also helped reduce gas from air bubbles.  I breastfed and pumped exclusively until 7-8 months, and didn't have any issues with nipple confusion.  But I also had a hungry boy who didn't really seem to care where the food came from, just that it was plentiful.
  • My son would take anything we gave him, but I could not handle the Dr Browns. I would end up crying while trying to wash 6 bottles and all their parts quickly to fill them with my pumped milk before I had to leave for work in the morning. It was torture because it was lost time with my little baby and I was already so tired from everything else!

We switched to Kiinde Twist bags  and frames and
    • he loved the nipple on the bottle frame, 
    • had less gas because you squeeze the air out of the bag and 
    • best of all- no more washing for me!
    They have tons of sales at Target and Amazon but they are pricey, but was worth every single penny!
  • I think I may be in the minority, but we never had a problem washing Dr. Brown's bottles. We took them apart and rinsed them out in hot water right after use, then put them in these Munchkin baskets to run through the dishwasher. The nipples and the off-white part that sits inside the mouth of the bottle sit in individual openings in the top and the rings and interior tube things go in the big part of the basket, so everything gets nice and clean. We only ever had to hand-wash a bottle if we went longer than usual between dishwasher loads. 
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker