April 2016 Moms

Diaper Bag Stock

Happy Easter!
Any STMs, FTMs, or anyone at all can share what they keep/plan to keep in their diaper bags. Not necessarily your hospital diaper bag, but the stick you'll be carrying around for the first stage of your newborn's life.
Anyone have any advice on what's a necessity vs. what will never be used?

Re: Diaper Bag Stock

• Good question! I have the usual typical stuff right now but I was thinking a spare set clothes or extra onesie wouldn't be bad? For those explosive days. How do you deal with dirty diapers when not near a trash can? Do you carry baggies or something of that sort?
  • Loading the player...
  • Diapers, wipes, an extra outfit, and a wet bag. I keep that stuff in my car too in the trunk along with my ring sling or another carrier. I don't really like lugging a bunch of stuff around. 
  • mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited March 2016
    Good question! I have the usual typical stuff right now but I was thinking a spare set clothes or extra onesie wouldn't be bad? For those explosive days. How do you deal with dirty diapers when not near a trash can? Do you carry baggies or something of that sort?
    We were given one of the arm and hammer smelly bag things (like dog poop bags) that hook on the bag. We almost never use them, but they're nice for the situation where you have to keep one in the car etc. 

ETA - these: https://m.target.com/p/arm-hammer-by-munchkin-diaper-bag-dispenser-bags/-/A-14026158
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I honestly don't carry a diaper bag much of the time unless we are doing an all-day thing. I keep an extra diaper and small pack of wipes in my purse... and definitely keep a ziplock with diapers, wipes, and change of outfit in the car. I breastfed, so I didn't generally have to worry about bottles, etc., but if you are bottle feeding you will want to bring a bottle. Not sure about transporting formula as I never used it.

Also nice to have but really not necessary, especially for our spring/summer babies: A&A blanket, pacifier (my son never took them I didn't need it), some sort of rattle toy to hang on the stroller/car seat handle when you're out and about to shake and distract baby.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I honestly don't carry a diaper bag much of the time unless we are doing an all-day thing. I keep an extra diaper and small pack of wipes in my purse... and definitely keep a ziplock with diapers, wipes, and change of outfit in the car. I breastfed, so I didn't generally have to worry about bottles, etc., but if you are bottle feeding you will want to bring a bottle. Not sure about transporting formula as I never used it.

Also nice to have but really not necessary, especially for our spring/summer babies: A&A blanket, pacifier (my son never took them I didn't need it), some sort of rattle toy to hang on the stroller/car seat handle when you're out and about to shake and distract baby.
    This exactly. I might bring a diaper and wipes in my purse, but usually I just keep stuff in my car. I'd much rather change baby in my car than on a public restroom changing table anyway. I keep nursing pads, burp cloths, a change of clothes for baby, a wet bag (we CD), and an A&A blanket in a bag in the car.
  • I don't carry much, either, but I'm usually 5 minutes from my home if I'm gone. Diapers, wipes, and maybe a change of clothes go in my bag.  Baby's blanket doubles as a cover for breastfeeding.  If it's a farther trip, I'll add extra diapers, outfits, and blankets.  Oh, and I always keep breast pads and pads in my bag.  I keep some of those in my car, as well.  
  • @mrstrax I didn't even think about poop explosions and messy clothes! Was the A&H bag just loosely flapping around in your bag? Lol I know that sounds crazy, I'd just imagine a random plastic baggie getting in the way.
  • Ljljljl said:
    @mrstrax I didn't even think about poop explosions and messy clothes! Was the A&H bag just loosely flapping around in your bag? Lol I know that sounds crazy, I'd just imagine a random plastic baggie getting in the way.
    It's a little baggie dispenser thing that clips on to the bag, so it's not just the roll flapping around or anything. :)
    I keep the spare outfit (sleeper) and my shirt in a gallon ziplock bag so it sits on the bottom of the bag and doesn't end up in the way. 
    Anniversary 
  • Diapers, wipes, changing pad, change of clothes, A&A blanket, wet bag, arm and hammer bags, pacifier are always in there. Pads, lanolin, breast pads, rash cream get thrown in if I think they're needed. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Diapers, wipes, diaper rash cream

Blanket, burp rag

Multiple extra outfits (no kidding that DS would have days with 2-3 blowouts in a row)

Pacifier (though DS really never took to them)

I breastfeed, but I still have a bottle and formula as a back-up/ just in case

Lanolin cream, breast pads

Plastic bags / zip-locs / or the A&H bags

Boba wrap if I am not currently using it

• I keep an outfit (or two depending on how long I'll be out).  Diapers, wipes, pacifiers, a toy or two, any feeding supplies you might need, plastic bags, burp clothes.  DD was a huge spitter (reflux) so I often carried a different shirt for me just in case.
  • I'll be honest, I carry wipes in my purse all the time anyway, haha. I'm currently carrying my diaper bag as a purse, because it's pretty and expensive and I want all the use I can get out of it. When the baby is born, I will throw in diapers, a spare outfit, and a bag for dirty diapers, plus the change pad that actually came with my bag. This could be an uo, by I just carry grocery sacks for dirty stuff, even the cloth diapers, instead of a wet bag. And I always have a wrap carrier with me, but it almost never gets into a bag, since I'm just wearing it. 
  • I kept a pretty stocked bag, so much so that my first diaper bag broke and I had to replace it about a year in. I carried it through potty training.

At first I carried:
    Diapers, wipes, diaper cream
    Wet bag, change of clothes
    Pacis (2, so that when she was grumpy we could do the "paci switcheroo" and keep her calm for slightly longer), paci wipes
    Breast pads, nipple cream, snack
    At least one toy (usually "baby einstein radio," and something to chew on)
    Arm & hammer bag dispenser -- I really only used this if I had to throw away a diaper at someone else's house
    A&a blanket or some other that could double as blanket/sun cover/nursing cover/place for tummy time. 
    Burp cloths/flannel receiving blanket that could double as one
    Bibs

Weather dependent:
    Sunscreen, sun hat, sunglasses
    Hat, mittens
    Sweater, extra socks

If it was going to be a longer outing, I would pump right before we left and carry one fresh bottle as well, since DD was an unreliable & distracted public-nurser and fresh BM doesn't need to be refrigerated for 4-6 hours since it has live antibodies in it. This time I am planning to use a separate bottle cooler. 
    kids with flags