Attachment Parenting

waking baby up

My baby is two weeks old and usually pretty good at waking up to eat every 2-3 hours. However once or twice a day he'll sleep for 5 hours without eating. Should I be waking him up to eat or keep letting him sleep?

Re: waking baby up

• I seem to be remembering our pedi say if they were already past their birth weight then it was ok to let them sleep. I never had an issue with dd, if she was hungry she would wake up to be fed. As long as your pedi doesn't have any concerns about lo's weight I would let a sleeping baby sleep.
  • I agree with the reply above.  If your baby is nursing every 2-3 hours through the rest of the day, is gaining weight normally, and seems otherwise content, I'd enjoy that 5 hour stretch especially if it happens to occur at a time when you are also sleeping!

I have heard that when babies reach the weight of 11 pounds, they begin to do this.  I found this to be pretty true, actually.  My kids were both bigger babies, and they were both over 11 pounds at the one month checkup, and both would sleep for a longer stretch at some point in each day.

You could always call your pediatrician's office and talk to the nursing staff to check on this, though! 

Congrats and best wishes!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • I also agree, unless your pedi recommended it, I wouldn't wake a sleeping baby. I would just follow his/her lead/cue and feed on demand. 
  • Oh, the days of extra long naps.. I feel like that went by way too fast!

Only thing I would suggest is letting your little one nap in bright, noisy rooms during the day and then in cozy, darkened areas at night. This will help encourage longer stretches at night. But no, don't wake sleeping babies.
  • I wake DS for feeds during the day but at night I let him decide when, he usually only goes an extra hour or so.
  • My moto- never wake a sleeping baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker