October 2016 Moms

Booking Plane Tickets for Baby That Hasn't Been Born Yet?

I just got a price drop alert for a flight to Manila that SO and I want to book for Christmas 2016 so I can be with family.  Thing is, we will have the baby by then, and I don't know whether I should just book for the two of us, then add the baby later on, or should I just book "baby" with an estimated due date and tell the airline I'll be giving them the details later?

Another dilemma is that booking through a 3rd party vendor (orbitz, priceline) is about $100 cheaper per ticket than booking through the actual airline (Japan Airlines).  I am thinking the safer bet for a hassle free experience when adding the baby later on would be to book directly with the airline.

Anyone have experience with this?  

Re: Booking Plane Tickets for Baby That Hasn't Been Born Yet?

• Isn't a baby under 2 free to fly or has that changed?
    Pregnancy Ticker

• it's free if they ride on your lap. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Baby under 2 is free if in your lap, but I think you still have to have his/her name on your ticket to go through security. Perhaps you could call the airline directly and ask for the best advice? I don't think it would be a big deal to add baby later.
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Have baby as a lap child, no need to buy a ticket. The stroller and car seat can get checked in at the gate for free :)
  • Another vote for lap baby.  I would be more concerned with ensuring you have his/her birth certificate/passport.  You cannot fly without that.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • While lap baby would be cheaper and great, i feel like my mom always got us our own seats as babies for longer flights (we went ny - Berlin) just so we could (and she I assume) have our own space. But I agree with the others in that a call to the airline (and booking through them) is likely your best bet.

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I'm sure you can just add the baby afterwards. We flew with my son when he was under 2 and he was a lap baby. I don't know if Japan airlines will have it, but singapore airlines had a bassinet you could request for the baby to lay/sleep in during the flight. They would only have to be on your lap for take off, landing and during turbulence. You might want to give them a call and ask about the bassinet and what to do/when to book. Also, bassinets are in the bulkhead rows only, so you'll have extra leg room :)
    -=- Tara -=-

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Thanks ladies!  I understand that under 2 babies are free (actually, most airlines charge 10% now)... but I think the baby still needs a "ticket."  

I was trying to avoid a phone call to the airline, but now I'm gonna suck it up and do it after work.  Let's see what they say.  Also gonna bite the bullet and book directly with Japan Airlines.  Excited though, because of the extra leg room (for bassinet purposes), and because I looked up their baby amenities and they have good ones!  Yay!

• Thanks ladies!  I understand that under 2 babies are free (actually, most airlines charge 10% now)... but I think the baby still needs a "ticket."  

I was trying to avoid a phone call to the airline, but now I'm gonna suck it up and do it after work.  Let's see what they say.  Also gonna bite the bullet and book directly with Japan Airlines.  Excited though, because of the extra leg room (for bassinet purposes), and because I looked up their baby amenities and they have good ones!  Yay!

baby doesn't need a ticket but they'll often need a boarding verification document. That can be made up in at almost any time and won't hinge on prices... since it's free for most airlines. I'd just book the flight for you and your SO for now and get the boarding verification document once your LO is born.
  • Thanks @bnsmith85 !  SO and I discussed and this is exactly what we'll do.  I just heard that bassinets are not always available and you have to reserve, so I guess I'll call it in today to make sure they reserve us a bassinet, and we can just give them the baby's details later on.  
  • dillybean2dillybean2 member
    edited March 2016
    We flew with our daughter when she was 9mo. She did not need a ticket and she was free. We just showed up to check in and showed them her shot record and they gave us a paper that let her board wth us. It was easy peasy. 
  • Side note: Don't gate check a carseat if there is any possible way to avoid it. Either buy a seat and use it or ship one/have family buy a cheepie. They don't treat them well and there is a good chance they can be damaged even if it isn't visible to the naked eye.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Wouldn't hurt to ask the airline if they would match the cheaper price!
  • Spoke to Japan Airlines!  They were so cute and congratulated me on the baby, told me not to worry.  They said to just call back once I have baby's passport #, and we could order everything then:  baby bassinet, baby diapers, etc.  Also told me that they are proud of their airplane bathrooms because in addition to toilet + changing station... they also have an extra seat and it's extra roomy.  Such nice fellas!

Now I guess I'll have to sit tight and pray baby comes on time and doesn't make me wait longer than necessary. :)