March 2016 Moms
Options

Breast feeding concerns

I'm a second time mom, and I don't recall having this many issued with my son (7 years ago) but I'm concerned and I suppose I'm just looking for some reassurance. Baby girl was born friday morning, via csection, and due to a few complications the first nursing session happened around hour 2.5 succesfully. She seemed to great the first night with a good several hours of cluster feeding, we struggled a little bit the second night and now that we've been home things seem to be great. However, she only nurses for about 15 or so minutes at a time and no matter how much I try to rouse her for more it just doesn't happen. She is wetting diapers regularly but no large amounts, and she still have a bit of meconium in her system. By now I thought her poos would have start to change.

She has her first appointment today, so I suppose the weight check will tell all. But I'm still being a worried momma. Any other new baby nurse for such short times then sleep for 3 hours? 

Re: Breast feeding concerns

• Options
    You're doing great, momma.  I'm a 2nd time mom too.  We had a very few meconium poos in the hospital (we were there for 3 days due to blood sugar level issues).  Then, we didn't have another poo for 7 days.  Of course, when he finally went, it was a lot. 

As far as today's weight check, check out information on weight loss and fluids during a C-section and how it can potentially skew baby's birth weight and make it look like baby is not gaining weight appropriately. 

https://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2011/08/15/study-shows-link-between-maternal-iv-fluids-and-weight-loss-in-newborns/

Just keep waking LO and nurse as often as possible. 

• Options
    Third time mom here, and all my boys have nursed for about 10-15 minutes a session (but they do cluster feed in the evening) and it's been a-ok. They have all gained a pound a week for the first 4-6 weeks. I think it's a combination of forceful letdown and large supply, and coincidence that they've been efficient nursers. Their sleep schedules have all been different. This baby does longer stretches, I had a cat napper, one slept through the night early - it's been all over the board as far as sleep for my kids:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Evie is my 4th in 7 yrs and they all nurse differently!  She is also a quick nurser and gets very sleepy.  Similar to pp I think I have a forceful letdown and a good supply so she's getting what she needs but I do strip her down and change her diaper after the first side to wake her up.  She usually only eats maybe 5 more minutes on the other side. She gained 18oz between days 5 and 13 so she gained well and I've been able to relax about it.  I think your next two pedi appoinments (today & the 2 week check, dd had not started gaining by our 5 day appointment) will give you a good idea if she's eating enough. Hang in there and keep up the good work, odds are she's just an efficient nurser which is great for you in the long run!
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Nursing number 4 here and he nurses the same. He may not always sleep 3 hours in between, but he's a good little sleeper, and didn't loose any weight after birth, and has even gained. At 1 week, he had almost gained a pound!  :) totally normal. You are rocking it momma!