Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Has anyone suffered from postpartum hypertension?

I had my baby girl on Valentine's Day almost 3 weeks ago... And since her birth I have been battling hypertension. I have no history of it whatsoever... And I have always had healthy pregnancies. At this time my doctor thinks it could be due to pregnancy hormones. My blood work and urine test came back clean... At this time my doctor has me on Labetalol 100 mg ( 4 tablets a day... 2 in the a.m.and 2 in the p.m.) my blood pressure is still on the high side. I've eliminated salts, I've lessen the stress, and now I'm trying to get more rest... For I hear that  affects  blood pressure also. My question is how long after baby did your hypertension last? And what medication and amount did you take to stabilize your blood pressure? Ps: I'm also breastfeeding...

Re: Has anyone suffered from postpartum hypertension?

• Options
    Ive been told by docs Labatelol is the safest while breastfeeding ive been given no other options so far.
    I experienced this with my 1st about 5 years ago and
    was hospitalized for it for 3 days. It resolved with no meds almost overnight. 
    About 10 weeks ago i delivered and have severe blood pressure issues. Was hospitalized 5 days this time and put on 1800 mg a day of this stuff. Im still struggling with high blood pressure so i will be following your post.
    Just want you to know youre not alone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, with both of my oldest. 

With my last daughter I was on bedrest for nearly a month FOLLOWING birth because of dangerously high BP that wouldn't go down.

Eventually it just evened out. They never really gave me a firm reason why it happened. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had hypertension during pregnancy, pre eclampsia. I was induced when I was 36 weeks because of it I delivered a 3 pound 7 ounce boy and was put on labetlol as well. 2 days after I was discharged I was readmitted with a blood pressure of 194/123. Stayed in the hospital for 2 days on the medication and magnesium. Got discharged, then about 2 weeks later, all of a sudden I couldn't breathe, luckily I was at the hospital with my baby(he was admitted until he gained enough weight) and my husband pulled all the code alarms and 20 doctors came running. I was diagnosed with pulminary embolism because I was not able to get up and move around because my blood pressure was so high and the magnesium. 3 weeks post pardom and they have cut my dose for my blood pressure in half. Hopefully off it soon! Good luck to you! Hope you didn't have half the problems I did!