July 2016 Moms

Baby wearing

I'll be a STM, but I didn't do a lot of baby wearing with DD (I had a classic Bjorn but only used it a few times outside).  I figure there will be more baby wearing this time around.  Any suggestions on great carriers?

Re: Baby wearing

• The Tula! By far the best I have tried and I have half a dozen different carriers (I still carry my 17 month old even while pregnant and it is great!) I found it puts the least stress on your back.
  • lolomommy1lolomommy1 member
    edited March 2016
    I think the Ergo carrier was nice.  I used the baby bjorn and the moby wrap with my first two and they were both ok, but when I tried out my cousins Ergo carrier, I fell in love.  It distributed the weight so nicely, especially when the baby gets bigger.  Im definitely getting that this time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a ftm but I'm going with the Tula. I've used baby Bjorn and ergo with my siblings and I tried on a tula at the store and I found it to be much more comfortable. It seemed easy to adjust too. And I will not lie, the final selling point is that they are just so damn cute. 
  • Agree with the others, Tula gets rave reviews. I'm also getting the baby k'tan for when he's tiny as I hear that's better for infants. 
  • They didn't have the Tula when my daughter was born, but I had a Ergo and used it until she was 3.5 years old. I am going to be using it again for this baby, although I am going to go with a Solly Wrap in the beginning, because I didn't find using the infant insert in the Ergo all that great, and the whole thing would be really hot in the summer time. The Solly Wrap is really lightweight, so it will keep me cooler. 
  • FTM, and we went to a local store to try on the Tula and boba 4g. We walked out with a Lillebaby. Like the boba, with the Lillebaby you don't need to purchase an infant insert. It has a zip down for ventilation which I liked because baby is coming during the summer. You can also forward face with this one and it is accommodating for the height difference between me and my husband (5'7" and 6'3"). They also had some cute prints in stock. I still love the variety of the Tulas though so who knows I may end up with one of those, too!

• Love my Tula too, but for when baby gets a little bigger. For the first 6 months or so I love baby k'tan. It's like a moby wrap but the back is sewn together in an X already for you, so it's less work (read easier) to put on. 
  • 100% Líllébaby love here. Used it constantly for my stroller-hating son, and bought another one in cute colors for this baby. :) Very comfortable, excellent lumbar support, 6-wearing positions, no infant insert needed, and a pocket big enough to hold wallet, keys, and an extra diaper so you don't always have to carry your diaper bag into the store. 
  • I have an ergo and Moby I'm a FTM but I'm excited to try both out 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• STM. Last time I started with a Moby, a woven wrap, and Ergo. I found what I like and this time I have a ring sling, a mei tai, and my woven wrap. I loved wearing my first. 
  • LDSJM123 said:
    Love my Tula too, but for when baby gets a little bigger. For the first 6 months or so I love baby k'tan. It's like a moby wrap but the back is sewn together in an X already for you, so it's less work (read easier) to put on. 
    That is exactly my plan.  I'm a FTM but I just registered for a baby k'tan breeze (mesh might be nice for a summer baby!) and for a tula for when the baby gets bigger.  I also registered for an infant insert for the tula, because the baby k'tan is sized for the wearer.. not the baby. So we'd need two different sizes for me and my husband.  Hoping I can wear the baby k'tan around the house, esp when on maternity leave... we'll see... 
  • I'm into structured carriers. Ergo is the most comfy for me, but Beco and Tula are popular choices as well. For a newborn I prefer a ring sling.
  • I used the Moby wrap with DD all of the time and I am planning on using it again with this baby. I understand that some people might think it can be a bit complicated to wrap. I watched videos on YouTube and quickly got the hang of it. I felt like the Moby was very comfortable especially if you find yourself wearing baby a lot.
  • I ordered a Solly baby wrap for very early on and we registered for an Ergo 360 for when the baby is a little bigger.
  • I used a Beco with my second and it was great since I am short.  Some of the others did not sit right with my height.  I suggest trying them out to see what feels comfortable.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I am planning to get a Lillebaby this time. DD hated facing in, so I definitely want one that allows forward facing. I also like that it doesn't require a newborn insert and is more supportive than some others.

We used the classic Bjorn for DD. It was okay for a while, but when baby gets heavier, it's really hard on your back. I know it's not the ideal carrier for their hips either, but she wasn't in it too often. I'm thinking with a toddler, this baby might be worn quite a bit more, so I'm looking to upgrade.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am a FTM but I ordered a Solly wrap and a Lillebaby. I figured I'd be hard pressed to get my husband in a wrap and loved the ventilation, since it's hot where we live and my husband is sweaty. 

• I can't wait to babywear again. My almost 2 year old is all about walking these days. We have a Tula and it's really comfortable. They have a great fb group too. The reseal value is amazing. We have a toddler size and I just got a bambaroo for our new one, can't wait to try it. I also love my gira ring sling for a newborn.

Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

• I'm FTM and am getting an ergo. I've baby worn my cousin's little guys and that's what she has. I really loved it
  • I love my ktan when they're little. I have an Ergo 360 and a Pognae that we use for the toddler now that we love. 
  • FTM. I got an Ergo (not the 360) and I'll end up buying an Infantino Mei Tai for when he's very small. I didn't bother buying the infant insert for the Ergo because it doesn't have great reviews and it's more expensive than buying a whole separate Mei Tai carrier. 

Who knows if any of this will work out, but it's all worth a try. 
  • LDSJM123LDSJM123 member
    edited March 2016
    If you want a more affordable option to see how much use you'll get out of it before investing in a Tula/Lilliebaby/etc the Mei tei sash is a wonderful option under $40, some places it's even under $30! It's very comfy and available at target/Walmart. 

Eta: looked up exact the cost. 
  • Question to STMs about baby wearing... What wraps or carriers put the least pressure on your shoulders?

I love the idea of baby wearing but not sure my shoulders are up to it! 
  • @amyspohr - I have back issues starting between my shoulder blades and running up to my neck. I wore DD in my Boba tons with no issues!  It does such a great job of evenly distributing baby and toddler's weight. Ergo is a similar design to Boba. My SIL warned me Bjorn hurt her back.  
  • I have used the infantino mei tai with two kids now, newborn to a little over 1yr. Love it.  
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Do you guys wear the baby around the house while doing chores, etc, or just when you go somewhere? I'd like to try wearing her at home sometimes, but I want something really light and comfortable. My sister had a Bjorn (9 years ago) and I barely ever saw her use it. I tried it and didn't like it. It was a hassle to put on and adjust, plus it was stiff and uncomfortable.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• @CarrieandRoy I used it everywhere. One of the reasons I liked the mei tai was because it was structured enough for ease of use (wraps overwhelm me) but since it ties instead of buckles I didn't have to adjust straps going between me and H or when the baby grew etc.  
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • I used my k'tan constantly with my first son. He rejected the idea of being put down ever and I needed to be able to do things with my hands eventually. It was awesome and felt really safe and secure even when he was a tiny thing. We have the Lillebaby too and my only complaint is that the back position (like a piggyback ride) kind of traps the baby against your back. He can't really see anything and gets frustrated back there.

This thread just sent me down an internet spiral into the Tula website though and yikes, those are cute. 
  • Thanks @kdm06c ! The mei tai was the one that looked the best to me.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• I used the solly baby wrap for the first 3 or 4 months and a lot during the newborn stage!!! We have an ergo 360 too but barely used it. Will probably be doing a lot of babywearing this time! I would wear the baby around the house doing chores when he was fussy then always wore him to grocery store or target. Much easier than carrying around the infant carrier, the infant carrier takes up so much room in the shopping cart too. Ds would always fall asleep when I wore him. 

• @CarrieandRoy - I used my Boba everywhere! At the grocery store, hiking, at the mountain, on the beach, on the airplane, at home while vacuuming (my daughter was scared of the vacuum for awhile and would bring my Boba to me when I started vacuuming!) while preparing dinner, etc. 
  • @CarrieandRoy From what I understand from reviews, a lot of the carriers that are better at distributing weight and being easier in your back are more complicated to put on. I used the Bjorn and it was hard on the back, but relatively simple to take on and off IMO. You may want to test some out if you're worried about how you'll get it on and off.

To answer your other question, I think you can definitely wear around the house if you find a comfortable carrier and it's something you want to do. It's honestly not my personality and I only did it when I needed two hands and had no help but DD wouldn't stop crying, but other moms love to wear and choose to do it into toddlerhood. I need my space.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @whataboutscience when my nephews were babies there were times when they would cry every time I set them down or even sat down, still holding them. Walking around holding a baby is hard on the arms! I'm a FTM, so maybe there are other solutions, but if baby wearing will stop the crying and keep me from going crazy, I'll do it. Testing them out is probably best, although the wrap varieties might be difficult to try without a baby...
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)

• @CarrieandRoy check out your local baby boutiques, the one I went to let me try on all the carriers and they had a weighted newborn baby doll that you used to test it with. It felt a little silly but it made trying them make more sense to me and then I could see what it actually felt like. 
  • @CarrieandRoy I used the heck out of our Ergo, and I always used it when we went somewhere where I knew that it would be a pain to be pushing the stroller around: museums, home and garden shows, expos, hikes, etc. I think there were only a handful of times that I wore it in the house, and that was because DD was teething and wouldn't let me put her down so I could make dinner. I ended up putting her on my back and then continue doing what I needed to get done. 

@amyspohr With my nanny kids, I had a really hard time with brands like Bjorn, Snugli and Infantino. They really weren't comfortable, and this was with kids that were in the 5th percentile for height/weight....so they were little. I had to give up wearing them when they were about 6 months old because they hurt my shoulders so bad after 20-30min of use. Most people refer to them as "crotch danglers" because kids are literally hanging there and they aren't good for their hips on top of being uncomfortable for most people. On the flip side, I used my Ergo with DD until she was 3.5 and my shoulders would only start to hurt (after the age of three), when I was wearing her for more than an hour. I have several friends that were Ergo lovers, and then got Tula Toddler carriers, and loved them as well. 
  • I'm getting a Lilliebaby this go around. It's gotten rave reviews and seems to stack up well against the Tula. Just an FYI- Buy Buy Baby sells the Lilliebaby and since its part of Bed Bath And Beyond, you can use the 20% off coupon on it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @CarrieandRoy I used the heck out of our Ergo, and I always used it when we went somewhere where I knew that it would be a pain to be pushing the stroller around: museums, home and garden shows, expos, hikes, etc. I think there were only a handful of times that I wore it in the house, and that was because DD was teething and wouldn't let me put her down so I could make dinner. I ended up putting her on my back and then continue doing what I needed to get done. 

@amyspohr With my nanny kids, I had a really hard time with brands like Bjorn, Snugli and Infantino. They really weren't comfortable, and this was with kids that were in the 5th percentile for height/weight....so they were little. I had to give up wearing them when they were about 6 months old because they hurt my shoulders so bad after 20-30min of use. Most people refer to them as "crotch danglers" because kids are literally hanging there and they aren't good for their hips on top of being uncomfortable for most people. On the flip side, I used my Ergo with DD until she was 3.5 and my shoulders would only start to hurt (after the age of three), when I was wearing her for more than an hour. I have several friends that were Ergo lovers, and then got Tula Toddler carriers, and loved them as well. 

The infantino Mei tei sash has the same great wide seat base/ergonomic appeal as the Tula/ergo do. I have a Tula, have used an ergo, and have used the infantino Mei tei sash and was pleasantly surprised how comfy it was. Especially given the price.  So not all infantino' are uncomfortable. 
  • I'm very late to this convo.

First time around I had the Ergo (got it used for like $50) and Moby. Unfortunately the Ergo was way too big for my petitie frame, but my husband liked it. I returned the Moby bc it was such a pain to put on.

This time I'm planning on buying a Lillebaby and mei tai. I really want to make baby wearing work rather than pushing around a heavy double stroller. I plan on going to a store and trying the different options on though to see what works best for me. I think your size definitely will influence which carrier works best. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016