April 2016 Moms
Options

Differences in Intervention/Care

Hey all,
I thought it might be interesting to talk about differences in prenatal/postnatal care, labour interventions, etc. in the different areas we are from.
I'm bringing this up because I'm from Canada, and know a lot of you are from the States, and I've been noticing some interesting differences in how things are done in our respective countries.

One thing I'm blown away by is the amount of inductions that seem to be being planned before due dates, seemingly with little reason. It seems like doctors are so much more ready and wiling to plan an induction there in the States "just in case". Obviously there are legit medical reasons for induction, but I feel like American doctors seem much more ready to jump into that medical intervention a lot earlier.

Another thing I'm curious about is how everyone seems to have cervical checks SO early! Granted, I am with a midwife (which is a whole other conversation where things are completely different between the States and Canada), but even my friends with OB/GYNS here don't seem to be offered/know about all that information so early. Maybe it's the difference between public/universal and private healthcare?

Anyhoo, I'm just interested to see what others think? I'm not really biased one way or another, just curious if others notice a difference as well!

Re: Differences in Intervention/Care

• Options
    I started getting cervical checks at 32 weeks because of preterm labor symptoms. It was discovered that I was already dilating and effacing. With this info my OB decided to give me the steroid shot just in case. I have been checked a few more times since then due to contractions beginning to increase in intensity. Trust me I hate them and they hurt but I rather be safe than sorry being so early on. 
  • Options
    thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited March 2016
    ashdawn24 said:
    Hey all,
    I thought it might be interesting to talk about differences in prenatal/postnatal care, labour interventions, etc. in the different areas we are from.
    I'm bringing this up because I'm from Canada, and know a lot of you are from the States, and I've been noticing some interesting differences in how things are done in our respective countries.

One thing I'm blown away by is the amount of inductions that seem to be being planned before due dates, seemingly with little reason. It seems like doctors are so much more ready and wiling to plan an induction there in the States "just in case". Obviously there are legit medical reasons for induction, but I feel like American doctors seem much more ready to jump into that medical intervention a lot earlier.

Another thing I'm curious about is how everyone seems to have cervical checks SO early! Granted, I am with a midwife (which is a whole other conversation where things are completely different between the States and Canada), but even my friends with OB/GYNS here don't seem to be offered/know about all that information so early. Maybe it's the difference between public/universal and private healthcare?

Anyhoo, I'm just interested to see what others think? I'm not really biased one way or another, just curious if others notice a difference as well!
    I'm in Canada as well and have also been impressed with the abundant cervical checks in the forum. I'm 38.5 weeks and have not had any, nor is it in the plans. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started getting cervical checks at 32 weeks because of preterm labor symptoms. It was discovered that I was already dilating and effacing. With this info my OB decided to give me the steroid shot just in case. I have been checked a few more times since then due to contractions beginning to increase in intensity. Trust me I hate them and they hurt but I rather be safe than sorry being so early on. 
    I want to clarify that I'm not saying one way or another is wrong or right. Obviously doctors do what they think is best for the patient (I hope!) and if symptoms are there, they should be checked! But as a comparison, I have been having early labour signs (cramps, backache, contractions) since about 35 weeks (I'm almost 39 at the moment), and after asking my midwife to do a cervical check, so I could see if things are progressing at all, she declined, basically saying "Why poke the bear?", because there are no signs of distress. I have literally only had blood pressure and heartbeat checked at my appointments. This is obviously different than your situation, where contractions are increasing and things were happening pre-term, but I find it interesting that the general attitude here is "just wait and see", rather than being overly concerned with where exactly I am progressing to. 
  • Options
    ashdawn24 said:
    I want to clarify that I'm not saying one way or another is wrong or right. Obviously doctors do what they think is best for the patient (I hope!) and if symptoms are there, they should be checked! But as a comparison, I have been having early labour signs (cramps, backache, contractions) since about 35 weeks (I'm almost 39 at the moment), and after asking my midwife to do a cervical check, so I could see if things are progressing at all, she declined, basically saying "Why poke the bear?", because there are no signs of distress. I have literally only had blood pressure and heartbeat checked at my appointments. This is obviously different than your situation, where contractions are increasing and things were happening pre-term, but I find it interesting that the general attitude here is "just wait and see", rather than being overly concerned with where exactly I am progressing to. 
    No offense taken :) I want to say that my first cervical check only happen because I had mentioned I had a drastic change in discharge amount and feeling crampy. I want really wasn't expecting it. From there she only checked every other week unless something new came up. I guess in general they can be denied like other ladies have mentioned.
  • Options
    I'm in Canada as well and I just had my first cervical check at my 37 week appointment last week. I'm with a regular OB/GYN though, not a midwife. A nurse I know from labour and delivery at our hospital said they will do them each week now. 
  • Options
    I wonder if it does have something to do with the difference in health care systems. I'm just speaking generally and with no expertise but I wonder if it's because here in the US doctors can bill for thier time, interventions and etc much more freely than in Canada. From what I've read here it seems that Canadian medicine is much more hesitant to act on a situation unless there is medical evidence to do so where many Drs in the US also consider thier own anecdotal experiences heavily. It's like "why would I?" In Canada and "why not?" In the US. 
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I think it is more of dr/midwife choice.  I had to ask about dilation at my 36 wk appt because DH was out of town and wanted to be gone longer, otherwise my Dr won't check until 40 weeks and they do another ultrasounds.  With my first my Dr's would ask and after a few weeks of no progress I just stopped having them check.  If I  am offered a check i I  plan to decline, I feel like I am dilated, I don't plan on going too far in the next couple of weeks so why get frustrated if they tell me I've made no progress?  That could change the minute I walk out the door.
  • Options
    WBORDERS said:
    I wonder if it does have something to do with the difference in health care systems. I'm just speaking generally and with no expertise but I wonder if it's because here in the US doctors can bill for thier time, interventions and etc much more freely than in Canada. From what I've read here it seems that Canadian medicine is much more hesitant to act on a situation unless there is medical evidence to do so where many Drs in the US also consider thier own anecdotal experiences heavily. It's like "why would I?" In Canada and "why not?" In the US. 
    We bill the government freely for all services we provide, so that's ok. But resources are different, so there are less bells and whistles in medical care here. Quality of care is still the same (I've practiced in both countries so can attest to this).
  • Options
    I see an OB practice in the US.  They tend to not do as much as other practices I've heard about.  No ultrasounds besides 20 weeks (unless you do the NT scan at 12 weeks which is optional).  No cervical checks unless absolutely necessary.  When I was pregnant with DD I felt like everyone else was getting lots of ultrasounds and checks and I wasn't, this time it doesn't bother me.  I know that even if I'm 3 cm it could still be weeks so what's the point?  
  • Options
    ashdawn24 said:
    I am in the states and have basically the same appointments you do. My BP was high last week so I was sent for labs and monitoring but was told not to worry because I don't look like someone with preeclampsia. The midwives I've seen in the past few weeks have determined that LO is head down by feel and taken a guess at her size that way as well, and just used the Doppler to find her heartbeat. 
  • Options
    I'm Canadian but have been living in Luxembourg for the last year and a half. There is a national health care system in place where you are billed for all medical services and are reimbursed 80-100% of the cost. There are five mandatory ultrasounds (3rd, 4th, 6th, 8th and 9th month) plus a dental examination you need to complete in order to receive a prenatal allowance of about 600 euros. This an incentive that all pregnant women receive if they keep all their appointments. I've had an ultrasound every month and once they stopped doing transvaginal ultrasounds, I received a vaginal exam in addition to the ultrasound. After reading these posts, it seems a bit extra to be receiving so many vaginal exams but of course I was just going with the flow with the way things are here. I am glad that they did a vaginal exam at 7 months cause that's when they discovered I have a short cervix! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've been considered high risk in each of my pregnancies, either due to something that developed during pregnancy or a pre-existing condition. So I've had more visits, tests, and monitoring than the average person. But I don't think I've ever had a cervical check prior to 39w, and the one I've ever had was in prep for an induction that occurred at 40w. 

I've had friends begging their doctors for elective inductions at 38-40 weeks in otherwise healthy pregnancies to no avail. 

There may be more flexibility in getting certain elective tests. Sometimes they are paid by insurance, but sometimes people pay out of pocket. 
    Love: 8.10.99
    Marriage: 12.18.04
    DD1: 5.19.10
    DD2: 4.11.12
    #3 EDD 4.23.16

• Options
    I'm in the US seeing an OB. I've had one ultrasound at 19 weeks, and basically no procedures besides that. I'm 38 weeks and haven't yet had a cervical exam. I had a super quick u/s (it was all of 30 seconds long) at my 36 week appt just to make sure baby was head down. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've received pre-natal treatment in three countries. I never had a cervical check from my OB in the U.S., but in Singapore was given a transvaginal ultrasound to check at 35 weeks (Is that how it's always done? I think I'll decline next time sunce they charged S$50 and it seems like a pointless violation absent other factors). There are so many regional and practice-specific variations in the U.S. I'm sure we'll all have varying anecdotal experiences.
  • Options
    I'm in the United States, and my practice is an OB/Midwife hybrid practice where you see the midwives for most of your appointments unless a high risk situation arises. I had my initial dating ultrasound, a really thorough anatomy ultrasound at an outside practice to make sure everything was looking good with his organs at 26 weeks, and then another at 30 weeks to make sure my low-lying placenta had cleared. I believe my last ultrasound will be at 36 weeks, next week. 

Cervical checks are done only as needed for specific cases, and I have never heard membrane sweeps, inductions, or c-sections even mentioned during an appointment. They just tend to take a really natural approach, let the body do its thing, and then if needed the doctors are there. I enjoy knowing all my options are there, but I don't need to use them.
  • Options
    mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited March 2016
    There are huge differences in my clinic and my SIL's 45 minutes away. Both OB/GYN (not midwives) just different styles -->
    I see my OB every appt and then hope he's the one to deliver (two clinics share the hospital's on call, so I wouldn't see some either way), she rotates through 5/6 OBs.
    I had one u/s at 20 weeks, she had 4/5. 
    I requested an early cervical check due to irregular contractions before a short trip at 37w3 (they typically start at 38), they started at 35/36.
    My clinic allows elective induction/c/s only after 39 weeks and then only if mom is "favorable" (dilating), hers pretty much anytime after 38. 
    My clinic will let you go to 42 weeks, hers to 41. 
    My clinic charges a universal fee plus additional tests/interventions (u/s, labs, etc) and hers charges per appointment/intervention/lab.   

Long story short, those are all differences within an hour drive of each other - I think it's more clinic to clinic than a country-wide. Mine also has a lot to do with the hospital being "baby-friendly" which requires jumping through a lot of hoops. 
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I see an OB in a major US city. I am now 39 w 3 days and seeing my doctor once a week and then twice a week if I pass my due date. I have had many ultrasounds, especially at the beginning of pregnancy - I want to say I had them at 6w, 8w, 10w, 13w, 16w, 20w, 32w, 39w. However, I have a thyroid disorder and history of miscarriage so the early ultrasounds were possibly for my own peace of mind. The second half of my pregnancy has been quite intervention-free. We check urine, blood pressure, and weight. My doctor will induce at 42 weeks, but says we don't have to discuss until 41 1/2. I have not had any cervical exams, and will not unless I am close to 42 weeks or we need to induce sooner for medical reasons. I'm very happy with the way he handles things, and I specifically looked for a doctor who wouldn't pressure me into an early induction if I didn't want it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:
    WBORDERS said:
    We bill the government freely for all services we provide, so that's ok. But resources are different, so there are less bells and whistles in medical care here. Quality of care is still the same (I've practiced in both countries so can attest to this).
    I didn't mean to suggest that there was a difference in quality. It just seems like in the US Drs are more willing to perform procedures and such rather than a wait and see approach. Obviously this is just my own completely uneducated about practicing medicine opinion though so I could be totally wrong. 
  • Options
    I think you're right that they're quicker to do cervical checks, c/s, and inductions here in the States.  A scheduled c/s at 7am is way easier than a long drawn out vaginal birth in the middle of the night. I think there's also a lot of fear of being sued on the physician's end. I've been lucky to have had OBs who were very laid back and supportive of all of my choices. The practice I go to now is very conservative with a lot of things, but my physician is sometimes lax with those rules.
  • Options
    I live in a mid-size city of about 120K (within city limits), with several tens of thousands more in the rural areas outside city limits/ surrounding suburbs. I see an OB practice with ~6 OBs on staff. I see my OB at every visit, unless she's out of state, which has happened 1x. 

I had a dating US around 10-11w, then another follow up US around 16w to check on a subchoronic hematoma, then the A/S at 20w.  Generally they just do A/S at 8-10 and then again at 20. 

I had a cervical check at 28w, and starting next week at 36-37 I will start having them weekly. Otherwise, every appointment is basically the same UA, doppler for HB, measure fundal height, chat and go. 

We haven't talked about induction. I was electively induced at 39.3 with DS due to near disabling SPD pain. I don't plan on it this time around.
  • Options
    At my 37 week appointment I was given the option if I wanted a cervical check or not. My midwife said it couldn't hurt but that it was my choice. I chose not to get it done. Why poke a sleeping bear. 
  • Options
    AEG84AEG84 member
    I see an OB in a large US city. I think there are 3 or 4 OB's in the practice, but I've only seen my own or the nursing staff. 

I had two early ultrasounds (I think 6 and 8 weeks) due to having had a miscarriage the cycle before. Those are not standard. I opted for the panorama test that my OB recommended over the NT scan at about 12 weeks. I had a 20 week anatomy scan at an outside practice (which they now offer in house but didn't at the time). I had a growth scan about a month ago and will have another this week; again those are not typical and I'm receiving those due to measuring large and having a gestational diabetes diagnosis.

Cervical checks started at 36 weeks. This OB induces at 41 weeks if you haven't gone into labor by then. Earlier induction would only be for specific risks. 

As far as billing, standard care is covered under one umbrella charge which includes delivery. Anything above and beyond (labs, ultrasounds, GD counseling, etc) is billed separately. 
  • Options
    WBORDERS said:
    thaisac1 said:
    WBORDERS said:
    I didn't mean to suggest that there was a difference in quality. It just seems like in the US Drs are more willing to perform procedures and such rather than a wait and see approach. Obviously this is just my own completely uneducated about practicing medicine opinion though so I could be totally wrong. 
    Don't worry, I wasn't thinking you were suggesting that at all. :) I've worked in healthcare in Brazil, USA and Canada, so was just sharing my view as things are very different in each.

I'll give you an anecdote though... My husband dislocated his shoulder as soo as we moved to Minnesota, and then again as soon as we moved to Ottawa, and needed ER trips for both occasions.
    In the US: ER consult with Doctor, X rays, nurse anesthetist to administer sedation, amp of propofol, oxygen supplementation while sedated, 4 doctors working together to get shoulder back in place, more X rays, sling , follow up MRI and follow up in sports medicine. Final bill: US$ 12,000.

In Canada: ambulance ride, consult with ER Doctor, X ray, Doctor puts shoulder back in place alone, without sedation and within 5 seconds. Confirmatory X ray. Final bill: CAD$1,500, and that was because we had just arrived in Ontario and husband didn't have his healthcard yet, so we were billed "premium" rates personally (then got it reimbursed).
    This was followed by an appointment with ortho surgeon and then shoulder surgery. No cost to us he already had his healthcard by then. But the ER approach and costs can be compared directly. 
  • Options
    @thaisic1 Do Canadians not also fund their medical system through taxes which might go toward explaining price differences? I wouldn't defend the profit, randomness, and lack of pricing transparency woven into the U.S. system in a million years, but I'm not sure how to put into context these dollar to dollar comparisons seemingly always provided by Canadian tourists who encounter trouble in Florida. ;) 
  • Options
    JadaBlue said:
    @thaisic1 Do Canadians not also fund their medical system through taxes which might go toward explaining price differences? I wouldn't defend the profit, randomness, and lack of pricing transparency woven into the U.S. system in a million years, but I'm not sure how to put into context these dollar to dollar comparisons seemingly always provided by Canadian tourists who encounter trouble in Florida. ;) 
    My thoughts exactly. It's no OOP cost sure, but the medical care coverage IS funded somewhere, assumingly
    via highly inflated tax rates.

The U.S. HC system is still grossly overpriced and often inefficient though (in re: to the drawn out process you described above to the shoulder situation @thaisac1)
  • Options
    thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited March 2016
    JadaBlue said:
    Yes we fund it through taxes, but the main difference is the costs. Everything is a lot pricier in the US. For instance, in Ontario an echocardiogram costs about $350 to the health system; at the hospital where I trained in the USA the health insurance plans were charged $3,500 for an echocardiogram…While, from Medicare, the same hospital was paid about $300 for the same echocardiogram… So publicly funded medicine (Medicare) in the US pays  similarly as publicly funded medicine in Canada… But privately funded Medicine in the US is very pricey.

• Options
    thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited March 2016

cmjenkies said:
    JadaBlue said:
    My thoughts exactly. It's no OOP cost sure, but the medical care coverage IS funded somewhere, assumingly

The U.S. HC system is still grossly overpriced and often inefficient though (in re: to the drawn out process you described above to the shoulder situation @thaisac1)
    Tax burden is very similar between the US and Canada, actually. I believe only the very top marginal tax is higher here than there.

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0411/do-canadians-really-pay-more-taxes-than-americans.aspx#
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

cmjenkies said:
    JadaBlue said:

Tax burden is very similar between the US and Canada, actually. I believe only the very top marginal tax is higher here than there.

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0411/do-canadians-really-pay-more-taxes-than-americans.aspx#
    Same in the UK. But at least there you know what your hospital bills are going to be (£0) and you know you're going to be guaranteed an amazing amount of maternity leave. 
  • Options
    I find the differences in u/s really interesting. I had one at 8werks just to confirm there was a baby and an anatomy scan at 20. They start vaginal exams at 36 weeks mostly to feel for the head and if they can't confirm baby is head down at every appointment they will do another u/s. 

Inductions are not scheduled ahead of due date unless medically needed OR if you opted into the study being conducted the the hospital about inductions at 39-40 weeks. HOWEVER they do schedule your "overdue" induction date at 38 weeks so that it can be with your primary (there are 5 dr in practice.) 
    ~~When you wish upon a star ~~